• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100GS exhaust nut

Exhaust nuts.

Max BMW just called and they have replaced the damaged thread section on my right exhaust port. ( there was about 3/8 of an inch of threads missing ) . I was glad that I did not have to buy or replace a new head.
Costs plus shipping about $250.00. Cheap if you ask me.

When you reinstall the exhaust nut use "COPPER ANTI SEIZE " Not the silver stuff.

If the previous owner put anti-seize on the nuts, they should come off without damage. Without anti-seize the nuts will gall and the threads will be damaged when trying to remove them. The likely hood damage occurs during removal is >90% w/out anti-seize . Try motobins (www.motobins.com) for new exhaust nuts. Cut the old off with a dremel - recognizing to not cut all the way through the nut before prying apart. Good luck!

Thanks for the Motobins tip Stan. I keep forgetting to check prices there and they always seem to come in much cheaper than MAX which is my quick goto fiche for parts and prices. I like RealOEM too but the MAX site is just such a great easy layout for us lazy types.

9.80 UK pounds is a darn good price for exhaust nuts and shipping from the UK to Canada is not too bad.

Max BMW just called and they have replaced the damaged thread section on my right exhaust port. ( there was about 3/8 of an inch of threads missing ) . I was glad that I did not have to buy or replace a new head.
Costs plus shipping about $250.00. Cheap if you ask me.

When you reinstall the exhaust nut use "COPPER ANTI SEIZE " Not the silver stuff.

Thanks for this tip Donmystic1. I just looked in my supplies cabinet and I have two bottles of anti seize, both of them silver moly paste. Or at least they look like moly past. The jars are gummed up and hard to read I've had them so long.

I will find and buy some of the copper stuff. Did not realize there were two different anti seize compounds out there. I imagine the copper stuff takes the heat better but never have read up on that.

Snowbum likes the product "Pure Nickel Special" of the Never-Seez brand...it is good for 2600 degrees. Never-Seez also makes another product. He says that Permatex has a variety that goes to 1600 degrees which he feels is adequate.

I bought Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize...the bottle says it works up to 2400 degrees F. On-line info for Permatex Copper Anti-seize #31163 says it goes to 1800 degrees.

hello all, does anyone know where I can get a thread chaser for head to clean up the threads for exhaust nut?

When you say "clean them up", do you mean the threads are damaged and you want to run a tap over them, or are they just dirty with build-up.

Back