• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"BUCKET-LIST" trip cost question for you-all.......

I agree [through experience] with 'oldnslow' $100 p/night for logging is becoming the norm. Once while on a trip, just for grins, I avoided restaurants. Got lucky and found grocery store / Deli's . Don't remember the numbers, but it was a bunch cheaper, and as another stated I stayed at motels that offered continental breakfast. For lunch, even at a gas station you can get a Campbells soup,cup, and some crackers.

I read a story once [in ON] I think? about a guy that stayed in hospital waiting rooms at night :dunno He said no one ever questioned him, and some even had showers in the restroom, so that long term patient families could use I suppose? He said, walk in like ya belong there, follow the sign to the cafeteria , eat, find a waiting room, usually they have a TV, and he said many have nice chairs & some couches? He said ya can't walk in carrying your luggage, but a small bag ?..no one notices.

I don't have the nerve to try it, but what the hey?

Ron

Eating "cheap" doesn't have to be unhealthy

There are several ways to play food each day. It is not necessary to eat fast food just to save a couple bucks! I, for one, am not going to want to sacrifice quality or healthy eating while traveling. I don't usually eat fast food, so over the years I've found many other ways to eat reasonably well, while not breaking the bank.

Breakfast
doesn't have to be much, but is essential for a good start to a day of motorcycle travel. A granola bar, or actual granola (!), dried fruit, or nuts, make for a good power base to open the day.

For lunch,
cheese, crackers, nuts, sardines, dried meats like salami, or canned tuna, or, again- dried fruit, will all travel well, lasting pretty well without refrigeration, while not taking up too much space.

Supper could be had at a decent diner or restaurant.

Water, water, water. Can't stress enough how important this vital liquid is, what a difference it makes for us humans. Water is cheaper than soda, better than coffee or tea or even juice, for you. Don't get me wrong. I want a couple cups of coffee in the morning. But mid day, or at supper, give me some water. And not that I don't want a beer or cocktail at night, but water is tops on my list.

Traveling thru farm country will often reveal road side stands for veggies, or farm based sales for dairy items like cheese, or meat to cook at camp, and anything else that might be grown - and eaten. Most anywhere there is a fast foo drestaurant, a bit further off the main hiway, you will likely find a grocery store.

Picnicking is FUN! Make an adventure out of your meals. Find someplace interesting to pull off, where you can get off the bike and enjoy some down time. Stretch your legs and rest your arse, and have a healthful meal break! I know for me, when I eat better, I feel better. Good food acts more as fuel, where bad food just fills you up, and leaves you hungrier sooner. Eat well. Eat smart. Fuel the machine.

Just some thoughts here guys.

Last edited:
Here is my take on it

It sounds like you are going to take your time and smell the roses; that is good; your MPG should be good also. A tank of gas should be all you need each day, so that is about $20-25. That part you can't get away from.

But the rest you can. First plan you route and then get the Anonymous Book out. Locate some members along your route and check their info to see if they allow camping or have a room you can sack out in. I have done this for members before and they have done it for me. It's a good chance to get a hot bath and a good meal at the same time all willing. I have made some good friends over the years this way. Don't be bashful doing this; the BMW members that offered the help, coffee, conversation and a room or tent space did it because they are like minded and always want to help out. Money is tight with most of us these days, me included.

Money for food is what ever you are willing to do without. I mostly rode alone on my long distant jaunts, camping out in a field or far off the road and eating light. I mostly carried small cans of salmon and green peas and a bottle of Turkey. Occasionally I would stop and have a hot meal with a bmwmoa member and then be on my way. I would mention their name here but as you know they are Anonymous.

So, take your cell phone, (a credit card for emergency) , your anonymous book and $500. and have a good time.

DW

Back