• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bosch Horn - no rivets, how does it come apart?

Aklo

Next winter project - Fix the horn....

Found many links on how to take apart the Bosch horns that are riveted together... but none for the style that I have. I've taken the nut off the back and have tried to unscrew/pry the front cover off, but it's seems to be very solid. It looks as though it's crimped on around the edges?

Does the bolt go straight through to the front?
I have not yet banged on the bolt with a hammer, should I?:scratch

Anyone ever taken this one apart?
photo.jpg

Kevin,

First, I don't have an answer to your question :doh

What year bike is this horn from? Your sig line shows a '76 R90/6. I have a '75 R90/6 and can look and see if my horn is the same as yours and maybe get some ideas :dunno

same

Hiya Mike,

We have the same year :thumb
Mine is from the end of the production year Dec. 1975, but the bike has had at least 2 owners before it came to me... not sure if it's the original horn or not. Thanks for checking!

What does the other side look like?

There is a small adjusting screw under the "goo"; or should be. It has a locking nut but it doesn't always prevent the screw from backing off. The "goo" does.

The screw allows you to change the sound/volume of the horn.

You will have to drill out the rivets, there's no other way to open this unit up. You can then use some machine screws with nuts to reassemble it. There's not much going on inside ... unless the coil wire is broken.

EDIT - MY BAD. You have a late model horn; it can't be rebuilt. Time for new; they're like $25 anywhere.

$T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKbbBQYOy,ZbW!~~60_12.JPG

boschhorn.jpg

Hucky's sells a pretty close replica, I have one.

61331243486C.jpg

I have one.

The horn on my R90/6 looks just like yours. Lmo1131 had a lot of good information in his post. I noticed that my R60/5 has the /6 style horn, must have been replaced at some point. Guess if the R90/6 ever needs a horn I have a spare on-hand, I'll just replace the R6-/5 with one of the Hucky repos.

new

well, looks like it's time for a new horn! maybe I'll get two.:D

Thanks again for the help! Now I know it can't be serviced... I searched for hours trying to find info on that horn and could only ever find info on the ones with the rivets that CAN be serviced.

You need to spend some time at the MAXBMW site reading through their microfiche. Other on-line dealers have the same resource; I just use MAX's most.

Here's the part number for their replacement horn

14 61 33 1 243 486

Here's the horn

61331243486_2_B.jpg

61331243486_1_B.jpg

But frankly, there are much better horns available. Maybe some of the others will chime in on the subject. It doesn't have to have B-O-S-C-H stamped into it.

Back