• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Salem 1000

squiffynimrod

blah blah blah
Hopefully this will happen. I've started a new thread and pruned a bit from the 2013 Rally Planning thread.

Any discussion here about a Saddlesore 1000 for Salem yet? I seem to remember start points for Redmond in Miles City MT and Ely NV which made for some interesting route choices. Maybe we could start near the top left corner of the contiguous USA for instance?

I know there is strong interest from Mike Kneebone and the Iron Butt Association.

I was fiddling on Google maps this morning- Miles City MT and Rawlins WY are both around 1050 miles via superslab.

Salem 1000

I would be interested in a SS1000 if something came out of the South West. We left from Mesquite Nevada for the Redmond Rally and that worked very well. I would love another Pizza Party, it was GREAT! I will be pulling a Leesure Lite trailer this time.

So it's official! IBA Salem 1000!

:clap:bow:clap:bow

It looks like a buddy and I will be doing one of the SS rides to Salem. I am pretty sure we will start in Moab which means we will take a few days to ride to the start point from our home in Calgary. We will take it easy going south through the 'Going to the Sun Road' and meander through the length of Yellowstone National Park and try an interesting pass in western Colorado (Douglas Pass) which is not high for Colorado at 8,268 feet but is a direct route south. Plan to spend a day poking around some short rides around Moab and then heading out for the 1000 mile ride sometime on Wednesday.
:dance

Ss1000

Not much traffic on this subject. There is a SS1000 ride posted on the Iron Butt web site. Linky: www.ironbutt.com. Click on event calendar and scroll down to July. There you will find the BMWMOA Salem SS1000. There are a number of routes listed. I am taking the route starting in Kingman Az.

Also shown is the Fire and Ice which is an instate SS1000. The route starts/ends at the rally site. I plan on completing this ride also.

For the new to Long Distance riding, the Salem SS1000 is a fine opportunity to get involved. The ride can be accomlished entirely in day light in around 14-16 hrs or so. If rest is required, there is plenty of time to take a nap or check in a motel for a few hours and still complete the ride in the 24 hr time limit. The routes are not sightseeing routes and some have plenty of interstate routing, but they will let you easliy acomplish the ride. (San Diego to Salem mostly on I-5 - not scenic until north of Shasta)

Fuel should be readliy available if traveling the interstate; however, in the west, fuel stations can be pretty far apart as compared to places east of the Mississippi. If traveling at night, the distance between fuel stataions can increase as some are closed, and pumps can be shut down. Also Oregon has some unique rules re filling up your bike. No self serve, but the attendant will give you the fuel hose for your use in filling the bike after you provide payment (credit card). At night a number of Oregon stations will not be open. Plan ahead.

A fuel cell is a nice option for these kind of rides in the West. I added a 4.4 gal cell to my bike and now have a very doable 400 mile range. Expect to complete the ride with 2 stops for fuel plus start and end.

Good luck to all and best wishes for a safe ride. See you in Salem

bob

From San Diego to Salem ride 1,040 miles

I am looking at this option from San Diego to Salem on 7/17/2013 (Wed. very early in the morning). Although IBA has a page indicating several qualified rides, it lacks info as to documentation.

I am assuming (which I shouldn't be) that you won't need either of Start/End sheet and gas receipts. Am I correct in this assumption. I've sent an email today to IBA for a response. Anyone know rules for this event? How different it is compared to regular documentation.

I am looking at this option from San Diego to Salem on 7/17/2013 (Wed. very early in the morning). Although IBA has a page indicating several qualified rides, it lacks info as to documentation.

I am assuming (which I shouldn't be) that you won't need either of Start/End sheet and gas receipts. Am I correct in this assumption. I've sent an email today to IBA for a response. Anyone know rules for this event? How different it is compared to regular documentation.

Since the IBA set the start and end points, no witnesses forms are required. All you will need are your gas receipts with the correct time on each one (FWIW I write the odometer reading on each receipt). Just turn in your receipts, or a copy of them to the IBA booth.

Iba

Good luck to those of you doing a SS1000, I just did my first one last year and a BB1500 later after that. I'm going for Bun Burner Gold this year from Moore, OK to just the other side of Boise, ID. Gotta warn you guys though, this long distance riding this is addictive. Don't way you weren't warned. :)

Since the IBA set the start and end points, no witnesses forms are required. All you will need are your gas receipts with the correct time on each one (FWIW I write the odometer reading on each receipt). Just turn in your receipts, or a copy of them to the IBA booth.

My only dilemma is, I don't live in or around San Diego area. I live north of that in Irvine, CA, which is about 88 miles north of San Diego. I was wondering leaving home, going down south (towards San Diego) on I-5 to Oceanside, CA (55 miles) then heading north all the way on I-5 to Salem, covering 1,055 miles.

Will I still need signed start/end forms? I was just going to use gas receipts to support my mileage. Will it work?

No it won't work for the ride of this topic. You will need to leave from the designated start point if you want your certificate to be awarded at the rally.
(This is not to say that you couldn't submit your ride to the IBA by mail and receive your certificate later)
Certificates are printed beforehand with the start & finishing points listed on the cert. Shoot, 88 miles to the designated start point isnt' worth complaining about.

Ken

No it won't work for the ride of this topic. You will need to leave from the designated start point if you want your certificate to be awarded at the rally.
(This is not to say that you couldn't submit your ride to the IBA by mail and receive your certificate later)
Certificates are printed beforehand with the start & finishing points listed on the cert. Shoot, 88 miles to the designated start point isnt' worth complaining about.

Ken

Thank you Ken. After learning yesterday that IBA will give out special certificate for Salem 1000, and it would make sense what you said that you'd have to leave from the designated start point.

I'll get a hotel/motel in San Diego for that matter. I wanted to maximize my sleep before going for this adventure. I wasn't really in the mood for 1120 miles given i've never done a saddlesore before. But you know, when the adrenaline kicks in at the end, you probably could strech another 120 miles.

You point well taken!

Shoot, 88 miles to the designated start point isnt' worth complaining about.

Ken

Ken, I thought of what you said, well 88 miles didn't look big of a deal. I rerouted from Irvine via San Diego, and total miles turns out to be 1098. Not bad. I get to sleep at home instead of a hotel before I leave.

Last edited:
Salem 1000 ... Done!

Well it was not that big of a problem with me, but lack of sleep before was a pain in the butt. However, every time I recognized it, I pulled over and that got me going further. Pulled 4 - 5 times to rest due to feeling sleepy. That added about 2 hours, + more gas breaks, compensated with by not taking 2 meal breaks of 45 mins each per my plan. However, during rest stops I had Nature Valley and Kashi bars.

1130 miles
21.5 hours
Irvine - San Diego - Salem
1AM - 10:30PM, Wednesday July 17, 2013.

What a great time!

Rode from Calgary AB to Moab and rested overnight. Decided to start at 13:00 MT. The route had less interstate than I counted on and got caught in a large lightening and thunder storm while negotiating Soldiers Pass, then rush hour(s) in Salt Lake and stopping at midnight in Baker City OR for 3 hours of sleep. Arrived in Salem to stop the clock at 11:00 PT.

But the real highlight was the pizza party on Friday. What a welcoming group - can't say enough about how great you all are. Thanks to Michael Kneebone for answering all my newbie questions and for making the Event something I will remember always.

Good going Montauk!! That was the hardest IBA ride you will ever do. Next one will be twice as easy for you because you know what to expect.

I did a BBG last summer, and I have to say it was much easier than my first SS. I also find that planning your ride so that the sun is coming up toward the end of the ride really gives
you a shot of energy with which to continue!

Welcome to the addiction.....have you already thought about your next one? lol

Ken

2013 moa ss1000

I did the SS1000 from Sheridan to Salem. I got my Cert. at the pizza party. Were we supposed to get a special Salem SS1000 sticker, Salem SS1000patch and Salem SS1000pin? I thought I paid for them, may be wrong. I just curious. It was a GREAT ride, rally.

I did the SS1000 from Sheridan to Salem. I got my Cert. at the pizza party. Were we supposed to get a special Salem SS1000 sticker, Salem SS1000patch and Salem SS1000pin? I thought I paid for them, may be wrong. I just curious. It was a GREAT ride, rally.

Well????

Quote from last years Salem SS1000.

Finishers of either the ride in or Fire and Ice 1000 will receive a distinctive IBA Salem 1000 certification, SaddleSore 1000 ride pin, special Salem 1000 sticker and IBA World's Toughest Plate back along with memebership in the IBA. And in what we hope will be the first of many such events, an IBA-MOA Pizza Party Awards Ceremony for Salem 1000 finishers will be held at the Rally too! The fee is $60.

Never did get the SPECIAL sticker.

Back