• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ohio to California, Oregon, Washington, and back. End of July into August 2013

rickhh

Hello All
I am in the final stages of planning a trip to Sonoma California (arrive in time for NHRA race in July) then on to Seattle the following weekend to see the race there.
Other than riding the coast from Sonoma to Seattle between the events, does anyone have any must see's or rides on the way out, between, and on the way back that you would recommend? As of of now I am going alone but I will entertain any serious riders that would like to ride along either the full way or parts of the ride.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Regards
Rick

I do a western ride a couple of times each year and would suggest that you buy an annual US National Parks Pass ($80) and hit as many National Parks as you can on the way out and back.
On the way out, I'd hit;
1) Rocky Mountain National Park - near Estes Park, Colorado
2) Colorado National Monument - Fruita, CO
3) Route 550 from Ouray to Durango, CO - a great area if you've never been there before
4) Route 128 from I-70 into Moab, then do Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park
5) 191 south to Blanding, Utah and then hit 95 to Hanksville and on to Capitol Reef National Park
6) Route 13 south out of Torrey, Utah and hit Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument, Bryce Canyon
7) Zion National Park
8) Death Valley
9) Yosemite National Park

Then headed north to Washington;
1) Crater Lake National Park
2) Glacier National Park - Kalispell, MT
3) Yellowstone and Teton National Park in WY
4) Deadwood, SD for Black Hills and Mount Rushmore

And then slab it back into Ohio

For some pics of the areas, see my ride report here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?62506-Riding-to-the-West-side

Cut out the places you've already been to and add in places that you've not. You'll have a stellar trip and get to see a lot of the US. If you'd like some more specific route ideas, hotel info, etc, let me know and I'd be happy to help out anyway that I can.

Thanks!!!

Hi Earache
Thanks for the advise! Ive been to 4 of them, and they definately are some of the best times I've ever had!
I'm really looking forward to riding the coast and seeing Glacier. A buddy of nine said that it is better than Yosemite, if thats true I cant miss that!
Have a Great New Year and Happy Riding!
Rick

I'm on Bainbridge Island, WA

The ferry terminal connects directly to Seattle, can host if you need a place to stop. The drag races are at Pacific Raceways, I volunteer for the motorcycle races there on the road course. If I'm around, would be glad to ride with around the area.
Travel safe!

Glacier

I agree that Glacier NP is worth the trip. In September 2011, I rode it from east to west. Coming from Canada, I crossed the US border at the Chief Mountain port of entry, then rode south on Montana 89, to St. MaryÔÇÖs Lake, where I entered Glacier. I rode the Going to the Sun Road until I got to Siyeh Bend, where two miles of construction reduced travel to one lane and a standstill on Logan Pass, but I didnÔÇÖt mind being delayed in a place like this.
2011 HAS Logan Pass.jpg

From the Loop down to Lake MacDonald and the West Glacier gate, the road was smooth, and great. Check the road status online here.

If you love the "twisties" and fantastic mountain views including the Trinity Alps, you might want to consider this side trip on your way up the California coast.

Take Hwy 36 (intersects 101 just south of Fortuna) to Hwy 3, north on Hwy 3 to Hwy 299. Head back out to the coast on Hwy 299, which will dump you back on 101 just north of Arcata. Arcata (a college town) and Eureka, just to the south of Arcata, are interesting towns with some great food and lots of services. This is just under 210 mile total detour, and will take you about four hours if your fast and not many stops. I would probably figure 4.5 to 5 hours with a lunch stop. The trip has almost no straight sections of road, and Hwy 36 has little to no traffic, Hwy 3 is very light traffic and Hwy 299 is light to moderate traffic. These are serious twisties on all three roads! Hayfork on Hwy3 and Weaverville on Hwy 299 offer good lunch stops.

And at the top of California, right around Crescent City, head NE on 199 to ride thru the Jedediah Smith Redwoods on your way to Crater Lake

Lolo Trail Ride

And if you ride the Lolo trail ride east to west its downhill all the way. :blah:eat:whistle:laugh

A couple of responders have mentioned Glacier NP. Does anybody know if they finished construction on Going to the Sun Road before winter set in? Last year you could make it partway before having to turn around. I'm hoping that's all resolved now.

Pete

In Sept 2012 we rode thru Glacier National Park. There was some road construction about 5 miles out of St. Mary (east side) that we waited for 20 minutes or so. After that it was clear sailing thru the park.

Attachments

• P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 42
In Sept 2012 we rode thru Glacier National Park. There was some road construction about 5 miles out of St. Mary (east side) that we waited for 20 minutes or so. After that it was clear sailing thru the park.

Thank you!

Pete

Back