• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 First Ride

Roadkill601

Hello Everyone,

Today here in PA we were blessed with 38.8 deg f. in the Poconos.. Good enough to get out and enjoy first ride in 2013.

How Bout you.. Get out for a ride Yet? I forgot my Phone.. So no Pics... But was really nice ride on 873 south.. then back through Lehigh... 209.. 115.. All good felt great to be out, saw one other bime and a trike.... :)

Bah humbug! It was not riding weather in SE Michigan today. Gray, overcast and alternating between flurries and a light, misting rain, with the temps around 33F. But this week looks more promising as we should get warmer weather and some rain to wash away the salt on the roads. :thumb

It would have been a good riding day here in north central Vermont: 24F, flurries, but the roads clear. But last week all the snow fell off the roof of my shop, got soaked in afternoon drizzle, then froze overnight at minus 18F. I have two bikes ready to go...with shop doors blocked by four feet of solid ice. :banghead

I was going to complain about the morning drizzle, but at 50 degrees, I will be thankful.
Got all 3 bikes out for a spin today.

Nice Sunday ride in Kansas

My first ride of the year this past Sunday 1/6/13. Temp slightly over 34 degree. Got in over 100 miles of riding around Lake Perry and E. KS.

We have a challenge going with our local sportbike club to ride a minumum of 50 miles per week year round. Now I know this doesn't sound like much to BMW enthusiast, but it's kind of fun to keep track of the weekly miles. I have ridden at least half the days of the year so far. Monday was tough.....20 degrees out when I left for work at 6am.

But as we all know, cold time on a bike is still better than a warm ride in a car!

Got my first ride in last week with temp about 38 degrees. Put on the electric underwear and had a blast riding around. Went to meet the breakfast group, and the first question was "Are you out of your ******* mind ? " Yep ! :clap

My first ride of the year was 1/5 which was a rain date for the Polar Bear ride with my church group. We didn't ride very far (maybe 50 miles total) so I went out for a ride up to Caesar's Head on 1/6. Unfortunately the road surface on the SC side of the mountain is getting worse and isn't as fun as it used to be but I'm not going to complain too much about twisties that close.

Took a nice 100+ mile ride today. It was pleasant but got a little warm later in the day with the jacket liner in...71F here today. Supposed to get cold (high in the 50's) for the next several days, tho.

My first ride of the year this past Sunday 1/6/13. Temp slightly over 34 degree. Got in over 100 miles of riding around Lake Perry and E. KS.

You are almost a neighbor! Way to go.

I, too, have been riding regularly since about the 4th or 5th of January, after all the snow and ice melted off the roads. Got a couple hundred miles in the new year so far. I love the warm temps.

All roads snowpacked and icy. Morning temps way below zero, daytime highs had been in the single digits for weeks, but jumped to 18 yesterday. 10 to 20 more inches coming over the weekend. GS is solidly in hibernation. Have fun everyone, see you in the Spring.

:cry:cryIt's not the cold here in East Central Wisconsin that keeps my bike in the garage...it's all the salt and sand on the roads. A few hours of riding are not worth the corrosion damage. :cry

...it's all the salt and sand on the roads. A few hours of riding are not worth the corrosion damage. :cry

I consider myself lucky that they don't use any chemicals around here on the roads in the winter. No sand either just pea gravel. I tried out my airhead hack rig last Saturday for the first time. It was +9°F when I left but -6°F when I returned home a couple of hours later. Maybe it's time to get the heated grips working again...

:cry:cryIt's not the cold here in East Central Wisconsin that keeps my bike in the garage...it's all the salt and sand on the roads. A few hours of riding are not worth the corrosion damage. :cry

It is easily addressed with a quick wash before you put your you bike away. I usually hit the car was and rinse if off then put it back on the stand. The One thing I know about my BMW's.. They are meant to be ridden... Its ok to get it a little dirty.. :clap:clap:clap

Roadkill -- That's assuming you have running water outside this time of year. Around here the outside spigots are shut off and drained by the first of December. If you forget, the first minus 20F spell breaks pipes and floods the basement. I won't have any water running outside till at least March.

Pete

First Ride 2013

Hey Royce,

Yes, I'm fairly close to you. I'm south of you just off K7 & Prairie Star Pkwy (95th St). I took another ride yesterday...a bit more cool than last weekend. I occasionally ride to Weston and go to the Weston Cafe for breakfast on Saturday mornings. Then I ride from there to...well, I just see what I feel like doing!

Coloradoclc (Jeff)

Saturday was my first long ride on my 1994 K75. I rode from Georgia to Tellico Plains, Tenessee and returned home for a great 240 mile day. I enjoyed riding the K75. It was pure joy each and every mile. I was up early Sunday morning washing my red beauty in order to show her to the guys at the local coffee shop. So, my first ride on the K75 of 2013 will bring a smile over the years as I recall my first long ride on K75.

Saturday was my first long ride on my 1994 K75. I rode from Georgia to Tellico Plains, Tenessee and returned home for a great 240 mile day. I enjoyed riding the K75. It was pure joy each and every mile. I was up early Sunday morning washing my red beauty in order to show her to the guys at the local coffee shop. So, my first ride on the K75 of 2013 will bring a smile over the years as I recall my first long ride on K75.

Did you stop at Kats Deli? Love that place. Good people. I got caught in the worst rain of my life there once. My usually flawless riding gear just couldn't handle the several hour deluge. Cold and wet, pulled into the deli. Probably the nicest people you could meet. We ordered food which was excellent, then sat out on porch to dry off. Proprietress shows up with towels right out of the dryer and some kind words. I never pass it without stopping.

Back