• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1983 R100 w/sputnic

The deal is that it has little torque in 4th,lots of snort in 3rd,but 4th feels like mashed potatoes,as for 5th it's out of the question. There was a 33:11 final and I've switched to a 37:11 which gives me 11% more torque.This is a low mileage bike (18K) and dual plugged also put in a one notch higher main jet,a 50 idle jet and a notch down on the needle jet as I believed I was running rich in that range.All these mods have yet to be road tested being as I'm in Alaska and it's cold now.Question is: Anyone have similar experience with this engine with a sidecar.Like what to expect in in 4th and 5th speed torque wise.Thanks

final drive swap

Hi, I see that this is an older thread, but here is my experience. I have a R75/5 with a Dnepr sidecar. With the stock final drive I almost never got to use 4th gear, except on long down grades. I swapped to a final drive from a R60 and it did a little better, but then I found a R50 final drive and 4th gear is very usable, and a good match. I also have a Perry Bushong Sidecars triple tree that makes steering a whole lot easier.

P5120939-S.jpg

My sidecar is a little under 200 lbs so your experience may differ. I can easily cruise up and down hills all day in fourth. On flat ground I can use 5th at 60 and if I go a little faster, fifth works going uphill as well. But it likes 4K rpm.

Since the OP is in Alaska, I'll give some examples. Once leaving Fairbanks towards Delta, 5th just about all the way no problem unless there is a lot of other traffic. When heading to Anchorage, 4th through the hills to Nenana then mostly 5th unless slowing for curves or traffic. If I'm at 65, I can still accelerate in 5th but it likes 4th better but that was true even without the sidecar.

George Rahn mentioned that he has another final drive laying around with lower gearing.

Hope this helps.

My sidecar is a little under 200 lbs so your experience may differ. I can easily cruise up and down hills all day in fourth. On flat ground I can use 5th at 60 and if I go a little faster, fifth works going uphill as well. But it likes 4K rpm.

Since the OP is in Alaska, I'll give some examples. Once leaving Fairbanks towards Delta, 5th just about all the way no problem unless there is a lot of other traffic. When heading to Anchorage, 4th through the hills to Nenana then mostly 5th unless slowing for curves or traffic. If I'm at 65, I can still accelerate in 5th but it likes 4th better but that was true even without the sidecar.

George Rahn mentioned that he has another final drive laying around with lower gearing.

Hope this helps.

Rich, Ride out there and show him your rig. His name is Arthur; nice guy.

Back