• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Auto Save!

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
Spent an excruciating amount of time today typing out a thread post. I'd had another tab opened, was researching links and whatnot to post in my response... One thing led to another, and I fumbled! Yep, lost my stuff, gone, kaput, zip. :banghead

I was devastated, but have been noticing the yellow "auto-save" thing popping up in the lower right corner of my posts... Took me a minute to find the way to retrieve my post, but finally did! :thumb
If you lose a thread post, re open your response option, and look lower left, below the space for typing your response. There, appear the magic words:
Retrieve Auto-Saved Content

Or something like that....

Many, many THANKS to the genius who thunk THAT one up!

:thumb It's one of the features in the new VB update. It gives you a little room and lets you catch up if you "Time Out" on posting. Nice that you brought it up. OM

If you are going to put up a long thread and do a lot of thinking while composing, it works well to do it in a word processing document and then just copy and paste it in here.

If you are going to put up a long thread and do a lot of thinking while composing, it works well to do it in a word processing document and then just copy and paste it in here.

This is a very good technique. It's much easier to compose and edit in a wp application, especially if you're including image (or other) links.

There you go, being smart about stuff again! :thumb

I would never have made it all the way to composing a thread post outside of the actual forum. Perhaps it's largely because I never INTEND to "create" a long thread post... it just sort of... happens. I don't compose long posts all that often- but over the years, on more than one forum, I've completely lost things that I've worked pretty hard to come up with. :blush
Auto-Save is a really fantastic addition to this forum. I wish other forums had it, too.

Omega Man,

My thanks :bow
to whom ever was so thoughtful and insightful, as to build this feature into the MOA forum. I may never need it again (ha ha- c'mon, roll with me), but I sure found it handy this time around!

Cheers, and HNY to all.

Omega Man,

My thanks :bow
to whom ever was so thoughtful and insightful, as to build this feature into the MOA forum. I may never need it again (ha ha- c'mon, roll with me), but I sure found it handy this time around!

Cheers, and HNY to all.
I wish I/We could take credit for it but it's just part of the evolution of V Bulletin. There are some internal settings that "log you out" after a set length of time. This is so the "who is on" - server loads etc. keep up-dated. Enjoy- OM

Well first you have to actually lose something.....
Then go back into the thread and re-open the Reply To Thread option (right back where you were)
At the bottom left corner of the reply "space", you will see an invitation to retrieve your saved content.
Don't recall the actual verbiage but it's obvious. Not sure if this will work on an iPad, tho the yellow "auto saved" message comes up on mine as I create posts, so maybe it does.
You must first lose something in order to see the invite to retrieve saved content.

Edit:
Just "lost" this, and successfully restored it. I "lost" it by hitting the "back" arrow. Then I simply opened "Reply to Thread", and looked down left to find "Restore Auto-Saved Content". Clicked that, and Voila!
Did it a couple times, so yes, it DOES indeed work on my iPad, and yes, you must first lose something before you get the invitation to restore it.

Well first you have to actually lose something.....
Then go back into the thread and re-open the Reply To Thread option (right back where you were)
At the bottom left corner of the reply "space", you will see an invitation to retrieve your saved content.

This also works with starting a new thread.

Back