• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1987 BMW K100RS Throttle Tension/Throttle Lock/Cruise Control Suggestions

tmwkicker

I just got my first bike- 1987 K100RS. In riding a little over a hundred miles, I've come to realize that I don't like how much spring tension I have to overcome to turn the throttle. It's completely stock at this point, but I'd like to do something to lessen the tension.

From what I've read, it seems like the consensus is to add something like Throttlemeister bar ends in order to lock the throttle open. My first question to those of you have used these is: how have they worked for you? Are these only ideal for situations when you are on the highway at cruising speed?

My second question would be: is there another solution that is better than the Throttlemeister bar ends? Another product that is superior? If the Throttlemeister is only usable at highway speeds, is there another product that works at more than just highway speeds?

Thirdly: is there an adjustment to be made on the bike that will lessen the spring tension of the throttle? I've read the Clymer's manual on the throttle, and I find no mention of spring tension anywhere.

As you can tell, I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject and am looking for suggestions and guidance on the matter. Anything would help! Thanks!

BMW sells a throttle friction screw that mounts to the bottom of the throttle housing. Part # 32721454414. I have one on my 91 75RT and it works well.

Friction Screw

I just got my first bike- 1987 K100RS. In riding a little over a hundred miles, I've come to realize that I don't like how much spring tension I have to overcome to turn the throttle. It's completely stock at this point, but I'd like to do something to lessen the tension.

From what I've read, it seems like the consensus is to add something like Throttlemeister bar ends in order to lock the throttle open. My first question to those of you have used these is: how have they worked for you? Are these only ideal for situations when you are on the highway at cruising speed?

My second question would be: is there another solution that is better than the Throttlemeister bar ends? Another product that is superior? If the Throttlemeister is only usable at highway speeds, is there another product that works at more than just highway speeds?

Thirdly: is there an adjustment to be made on the bike that will lessen the spring tension of the throttle? I've read the Clymer's manual on the throttle, and I find no mention of spring tension anywhere.

As you can tell, I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject and am looking for suggestions and guidance on the matter. Anything would help! Thanks!

You can use a friction screw to aid in your desire. I looked at four OEM Parts dealers. Max BMW is the only of the four that has the friction screw listed. It is listed for $9.65. I use one on my K75 and find it helpful.
It goes in the housing on the right side of the handlebar.

Attachments

• 32721454414_1_B.jpg
    32721454414_1_B.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 146
Friction Screw / Housing diagram

See diagram. Item number 26. Part number 32 72 1 454 414. $9.65.

Attachments

• K100 steering.png
    K100 steering.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 148
Not every handlebar assembly came drilled and tapped to accept this screw.

Easy to check before ordering. The holes were sealed at the factory with a small plastic plug that pulls out quite easily.. It's sort of half-under the throttle assembly, from memory - just below the pivot mounting for the brake lever and a bit inboard. Perhaps someone can post a photo of one installed.

+1: RE: Friction Screw

I have a friction screw in both my 88 K100RS and my 93 R100RS. I like it because it does allow me to relax a bit. This is especially helpful on longer rides or journeys. It was a bit of a paradigm shift for me tho- one thing you HAVE to remember is that you HAVE to "unwind" the throttle manually, to shift, or slow down. If this is your first motorcycle, then maybe you don't have a bunch of habits developed... yet. For me, having the throttle more or less locked all the time, I had to learn to move it to whatever position I wanted it in at the appropriate time, IE; shifting, slowing, stopping, etc.
Of course it didn't take long, but I had at least one "surprise" moment.

One nice thing about the screw is that it's easily adjustable- simply reach down and tighten or loosen it to your liking/needs.

Just my two cents worth.

BTW, best of luck with the new ride!

I have a friction screw in both my 88 K100RS and my 93 R100RS. I like it because it does allow me to relax a bit. This is especially helpful on longer rides or journeys. It was a bit of a paradigm shift for me tho- one thing you HAVE to remember is that you HAVE to "unwind" the throttle manually, to shift, or slow down. If this is your first motorcycle, then maybe you don't have a bunch of habits developed... yet. For me, having the throttle more or less locked all the time, I had to learn to move it to whatever position I wanted it in at the appropriate time, IE; shifting, slowing, stopping, etc.
Of course it didn't take long, but I had at least one "surprise" moment.

One nice thing about the screw is that it's easily adjustable- simply reach down and tighten or loosen it to your liking/needs.

Just my two cents worth.

BTW, best of luck with the new ride!

given that vast majority of time you are NOT in "cruise at steady speed mode" (hopefully!), best solution is to just set the screw for a bit of drag to slow the return, but not get in the way of controls manipulation.

To the OP- The early K100s should all have the tapped opening for installation; this is by far your best and most cost-effective solution. Throttlemeister should really only be considered if this screw is not a ready option (like on my previos '94 K11RS, or my current '01 R11S).

Thanks everyone for your input.

I went and checked, and my 1987 K100 is one that is already tapped for the tension bolt. I will go ahead and purchase the bolt from Max
BMW.

...for a cheap alternative

Here is my copy of what some companies are selling for 20 bucks. It is a piece of 12ga solid core house wire, twisted around my throttle grip. I just roll on the throttle, use my index finger to push the twisted wire down until it touches the brake lever, and 'walla', my throttle stays set. It will hold steady speed for about a minute, then vibrations start to let it creep back down. If I close the throttle manually, it just rotates on the grip.

Total cost, 99cents for the little plastic vacuum cap on the end.

Attachments

• throttle lock.JPG
    throttle lock.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 127
Of course there are other options. Why not consider a Wrist Rest or some other gizmo of essentially the same design? They are widely available, can be easily removed and used on any motorcycle, and cost very, very little.

Back