• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200 gs known issues

Davesbmw

Ok
I am looking at purchasing a new to me used 2011 1200 GS.

I know they have the new float system and not the wonderful strip,what I do not know are the issues that have cropped up with this new cam head engine.
If you could comment on this I would appreciate that.

Please do not limit your comments on the engine only

Are the final drives the same as the 2008?

Thanks
Dave

I have a 2011 R1200GS that I bought new. It now has 47,000 km on it and I have had no issues of any kind. Just routine maintenance.

I was anal during the break-in period to strictly comply with BMW's instructions regarding maximum RPM. Up until about 30,000 km, it was using some oil. Now that it is broken in, it is not using any oil to speak of; I don't have to add any oil between oil changes, which I do every 10,000 km. I switched over to semi-synthetic at approx. 30,000km and to full synthetic at approx. 40,000km. I am using 10W40.

Mine has ESA\ABS\ASC.

There is at least one design change from the rear drive on the 2008 (I had an identical 2008 which I also bought new,and which I was also anal about during break-in, and which also did not use any oil to speak of after break-in, and which was totalled when I was rear ended at 85,000km). The rear drive on the 2011 has a rubber-covered vent\breather on the top that was not on the 2008. I believe this same model of breather is also on the top of the transmission gear box at the engine. So far, I have never had any problems with either rear drive. I change the rear drive oil every 10,000km rather than every 20,000km, just as a precaution. I use Castrol SAF-XO in the rear drive.

So far, I really like mine.

Dave McDougall
2011 R1200GS

I am also interested in issues. 27,000 miles on my 2011 so far. I do blow out a headlight bulb every 12,000 miles but that is normal as far as i can tell ($8 from auto zone). I'm ocd with servicing and final drive lube change every oil change.

I have a 2011 R1200GS with 30,000 miles and no problems other than a new headlight bulb every 8,000-10,000 miles.

Thanks for the response

Thanks
I purchased a 2012 1200 gs Rally edition.
now I need all the kit.
anyone have a nice used set of adventure cases for sale?

Dave

Yeh, I ride it as more of a sport tourer than an off-road beast. My 4th GS, with lots of bikes in-between, but I always come back to the GS. Just fits me and my riding style...I think I'll wait a year or two on the new wasser-boxer though, just to make sure they've got it ironed out LOL.

View attachment 37300 When you get finished, it may look something like this... :)

Nice looking bike.
I see you have the touratech light gaurd with the removable lense, does this vibrate or shake while riding at night?
Might need one of those.
I like the way it looks with the adventure luggage set up

Thanks
Dave
PS
I was in Tampa last Febuary and picked up a Moto Guzzi Norge and rode back to Colorado. Very nice down there in the winter.

Light guard is very secure. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the wind pressure against the front of the guard, keeping it securely in the mounts. You do get the high beam reflection in the bottom of the windscreen, just like with others. I don't find it that distracting, so haven't applied the light block sticker they supply with the guard. The guard is easy to install, and the easy removal makes it much easier to clean both it and the headlights.

I'm a huge fan of the BMW cases. Yeh, I know they're expensive, but far superior to the standard GS cases, hold more and look good on the Rallye, too. I usually ride locally without the topcase and save it for long trip packing. The sidebags hold more than enough, including all tools, tire repair kit, first aid kit, air compressor, rain gear, clear faceshield for nights, etc and room for more. I hate clamshell-opening side bags...

Winter...what's winter? 80 here today. My wife and I are teaching a sportbike class tomorrow and it will be 82 degrees. On the other hand, you should be here in August, when its 100 degrees and 95% humidity. This is the best riding weather of the year right now for us. We can actually wear leathers, instead of the usual armored mesh gear. :)

Back