• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacing headlight 2006 K1200GT

toshibgood

Hi Guys

anybody replace their headlight bulb in their 2006 K1200GT themselves?

Is it worth doing myself or have the dealer do it? Looks like a lot of work to get to according to my Maintenance CD.

NON Xenon

Thanks

John

I've replaced the lamp in my '07 a couple times, (low beam), only takes a couple minutes. No tools necessary.

Replacing headlight

I've replaced the lamp in my '07 a couple times, (low beam), only takes a couple minutes. No tools necessary.

Hi manicmechanic

NO tools? The CD says I had to remove the side panels, windshield, windshield supports, wing and housing.
Can the bulb be reached without removing all those things?

My low beam is the one that id out.

I'm hoping

Thanks for your help.

John

John
Your instructions sound like what it takes to replace the whole headlight assembly.
My headlight is similar, but not exactly the same as the K1200GT. On my bike, if you unscrew part #4 you can reach in and change the bulb.
On my S I have three #4s. The parts fiche for your GT only shows two. I'm guessing part#6 is for your third bulb.
Hopefully someone with a GT can use my picture and give you better instructions.
If I had to guess, #4 is for the two high beam bulbs and #6 is the low beam.

B0004420.png

Indeed, you unscrew the black cover to access the connector on the bulb. Then undo (technical term) the wire retainer and pull the bulb out. Install the new bulb and then the rest of the stuff. The hardest part for me is getting my large hand to bend the correct way. Turn the bars full right and then reach under the left bar, gives you a bit more room.

I'll have to go out to the garage to check. I'm thinking now that it doesn't unscrew, but has a couple latches on top, and tabs that fit into retaining slots on the bottom. Either way, it's not difficult to figure out.

Replacing headlight

Thanks guys. It makes sense now. I can see where I can reach the bulb. So I'm on it.

Appreciate the help. Didn't make any sense to be a big hassle for such a small task.

Thanks again. This forum is awesome.

John

There are other BMW models with more challenging setups that are a nuisance- as you will find out if you ever own one of them.

I know that this is an old thread but it just saved me from trying to ride home 200 miles with poorly adjusted high beams after the low beam burned out. I read on another forum to just put one of the high beam bulbs in the low position. These instructions and years of replacing bulbs on my GL1800 made it easy. THANKS!

I know that this is an old thread but it just saved me from trying to ride home 200 miles with poorly adjusted high beams after the low beam burned out. I read on another forum to just put one of the high beam bulbs in the low position. These instructions and years of replacing bulbs on my GL1800 made it easy. THANKS!

Welcome to the forum grumpa.
Sure is handy to use one of two high beam bulbs to replace a burnt out low beam bulb.

Back