• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Year Round Mileage Contest

Am I just thinking way too far 'inside the box' or is this mileage accumulation gig really only a game that those who live in the deep south can casually play and, if retired, can play without a clock? Yes, I'm tired of the cold and snow and maybe a bit critical. - Bob

Hi Bob, long time no see! :wave

Speaking as a southerner, living down here ain't all that it's cracked up to be. In the middle of summer I really envy northern riders because their summers are nice and pleasant but down here it can at times be just too danged hot to enjoy the ride.

But I also, and I'm going to tread into heretical waters here, have been thinking that we as a community need to rethink our approach to mileage-accumulation. Between what it truly costs to ride a whole lot (figure in all those tires, your insurance, gear, etc...), and how we live in denial about questioning the amount of fuel we burn for what really boils down to joy-riding, I think that mileage-pride as we've known it for ages needs to be moved on from in favour of a smarter way of going about it. I haven't worked out exactly what that smarter way is, but having been a budget-strapped rider in the past I was always looking for ways to maximise the enjoyment of my rides since I couldn't take as many rides as I'd wished to take. As I hinted a moment ago, environmental consciousness plays into it too. Our bikes get pretty good MPG but cars are catching up to that and bikes don't burn their fuel near as cleanly as cars do, owing to just not being big enough vehicles to carry as much emission-control equipment.

No soapbox intended here, just some food for thought.

Speaking as a southerner, living down here ain't all that it's cracked up to be. In the middle of summer I really envy northern riders because their summers are nice and pleasant but down here it can at times be just too danged hot to enjoy the ride.

But I also, and I'm going to tread into heretical waters here, have been thinking that we as a community need to rethink our approach to mileage-accumulation. Between what it truly costs to ride a whole lot (figure in all those tires, your insurance, gear, etc...), and how we live in denial about questioning the amount of fuel we burn for what really boils down to joy-riding, I think that mileage-pride as we've known it for ages needs to be moved on from in favour of a smarter way of going about it. I haven't worked out exactly what that smarter way is, but having been a budget-strapped rider in the past I was always looking for ways to maximise the enjoyment of my rides since I couldn't take as many rides as I'd wished to take. As I hinted a moment ago, environmental consciousness plays into it too. Our bikes get pretty good MPG but cars are catching up to that and bikes don't burn their fuel near as cleanly as cars do, owing to just not being big enough vehicles to carry as much emission-control equipment.

Hey Veg,

Long time no see! :laugh

I'm digesting your food for thought. Thanks for being brave enough to bring it up.

BTW I'm still using a buff puff when I camp. Thanks for that great tip!

Hope to see you on the road.

5/1/13 20915
387 last month
35.5 avg. MPH
43.5 avg. MPG
Installed Fourth low beam headlight. 6971.6 avg. miles per bulb.
196.3 avg. hours per bulb

6/1/13 21361
446 last month
31.9 avg. MPH
43.5 avg. MPG
Rear shock leaking all over swing arm.

We do have the heat...and rain...and rain...and rain.

I'm pretty new here so I really don't know the history of the mileage accumulation...I ran across it and it looked fun!

I will say that I am much more than joy rider. My C650GT is pretty much my daily commuter 70 miles a day with occasional site visits that may be a 300+ day. Commuting purposes is one of the reasons I went with another maxi scooter, storage (lap top, hard hat and change of clothes under the seat, rain gear etc in top box) No shifting up up up...down down down up down in heavy traffic, and can ride the HOV lane solo so I save time and can avoid the toll road ($4 per day). On a daily basis I spend about $20 less taking the bike over my truck.

In total does it save me money? Honestly I don't know...as mentioned I have to factor in tires, insurance, gear etc etc...but I get to ride almost every day!

C650GT

March 11, 2013 Total Miles - 4

April 15, 2013 - 1,978 miles First service at 600 miles

May 19, 2013 - 4,148 miles, DIY oil change at 3,650

June 24, 2013 - 6,026 - 6K service done, turn signal and heater switch assemblies replaced under warranty

I don't worry about mileage contests. My wife won't ride with me, so that limits how many road trips I can go on. I planned to go to Laconia, NH for this year's bike week but it made no sense to ride 450 miles in rain in order to camp out in 2 or more days of solid rain (with flood warnings) so I had to cancel that trip.

It's been raining almost every day here in NY. I hope to do a trip to Bar Harbor soon to finish wearing out my rear tire so I can have the new one waiting at the bike shop put on. Then, hopefully, I can do a trip out west.

Some people's situations are conducive to lots of miles; some don't have that luxury.

Harry

I don't look at this thread as a contest, but an easy way to keep tracked of my miles and such. My low miles is no were near what most of you are doing, sometimes in a day.

After the 4th ride

So far this year, I been lucky enough to visit Chief Joesph Pass, Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Wind River range, Snowy Mountains, Grand Mesa and many other passes and mountain canyons in the what I call the local riding area. I gather around 11,5k in about a half year. Can't wait to see what the next half brings.....

135903 Starting
147891 Mid way

Back