• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

EAR PLUGS........what's the best / easiest to use ..??

I've been riding since 1962 (!) and just now am thinking of joining the "never ride W/O earplug" crowd........I just bought a beautiful 1999 R1100R with the BMW "factory" windscreen .. the wind noise inside my Shoei Multitec is unbelieveable / so I guess earplugs are the best solution ??
what's the general opinion / what really works...please....thanks !!

from the swamp..
JPFITZ

You have asked a question that has been discussed at length in 2012, most probably found in the 'gear' section. Try searching for it. However, since you asked, I use the bright orange tekk disposable ear plugs by 3M. Bought a pack of 80 at either Home Depot or Lowes. I find them very comfortable and easy to insert. You can buy these, or similar, in a pack of 10 at an auto parts store or WalMart to try them out. Other members will have many different opinions.
regards,
Mark

You have asked a question that has been discussed at length in 2012, most probably found in the 'gear' section. Try searching for it. However, since you asked, I use the bright orange tekk disposable ear plugs by 3M. Bought a pack of 80 at either Home Depot or Lowes. I find them very comfortable and easy to insert. You can buy these, or similar, in a pack of 10 at an auto parts store or WalMart to try them out. Other members will have many different opinions.
regards,
Mark

This is what I use and I agree with the above. However a friend, that also used them, just had custom plugs made, and he says the difference is amazing.
He says quieter and as,or even more comfortable and well worth the $45.00 charge. As such I am considering a pair of customs.
Ron

I have trouble inserting the little yellow or white foam cylinders into my ear canals. I squeeze them down & pull on my ear as instructed. I must be just a bit fumble fingered and they have time to start expanding before I get them in.Just recently I discovered, courtesy of my cold garage, that the plugs are much slower to expand when cold, giving me just the needed extra time to make a proper placement. Once in the ear they do warm up and expand properly.

Keeping ear plugs on ice/refrigerated sounds crazy but works for me.

I bought molded earplugs at the Johnson City rally...Big Earz I think. I like them a lot.

Howard Leight MAX ear plugs. These are disposable but good for many uses first. They are shaped to make insertion and removal (exsertion?) easy, have a smooth skin for comfort and have the highest noise reduction rating (33) I've seen. I bought a box of 100 pairs from a safety supply store. Compared to the cost of hearing aids later in life, they are cheap money. I wear 'em when lawn mowing, snow blowing, hammering nails and I even bring a pair along when I go to the movies. Trying to save what's left of my hearing. In short, any ear protection is better than none.

pete

Howard Leight Laser Lite. Softer and more comfortable for me when in for a long time. After smashing the plug to insert, wet it a little and it goes in easier.

I buy them in quantity on Ebay in a large enough quantity to supply friends and family.

There is no answer, or more precisely, there are thousands of answers. Voni has used the yellow cylindrical EAR Classic plugs for years. She still does. Once, she tried custom molded plugs but thought they were not as quiet and went back to the EAR Classics. I tried the EAR classics, smaller orange ones, smaller white ones, and some little green ones. Apparently riding over-pressurizes my skull ( :) ) because they stay in about ten minutes and then slide outwards sufficiently to be almost useless. When I started riding my F650 Dakar with a minimal windshield I had to do something better so got a pair of custom molded ear plugs a couple of years ago. I really like them and now don't ever ride without them.

I think they may be a little less effective than the EAR Classic yellow foam plugs if the classics are firmly stuffed and stay in my ears, but after that first ten minutes or so when the classics slide outward the attenuation is pathetic. So on balance the custom molded plugs work for me and I have never found others that do.

I protect what hearing I have left but as you started riding the year before me a good question is how much hearing do you have left? Many years of firearms & heavy industry also eroded my hearing,esp. prior to protection being commonly in use. If you are not aware of the aspects of hearing loss you might want to read up on a site like WebMD or similar place the doesn't sell HA's. Noise induced hearing loss is accumulative , so what you lose you never get back-never ride MC's or operate anything that makes noise w/o protection. Use muffs for other activities. You can read about others plug choices but need to try some out for your own opinion of comfort.

Some people have found that a Laminar Lip can make a windscreen more quiet. I did. There have been multiple discussions of this device on the Forum. I wear earplugs all the time. I use 3M 1100 model. They are foam and cut sound dramatically. The local fire department uses them.

As Paul noted, there are hundreds of answers. I, and my wife, use iPlugz brand custom molded earplug speakers. They work great with our Autocom intercom system and definitely keep out noise when running at speed. Pricy, but definitely worth the protection and for listening to radio/music/intercom.

Site is here:

http://www.earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

Some people have found that a Laminar Lip can make a windscreen more quiet. I did. There have been multiple discussions of this device on the Forum. I wear earplugs all the time. I use 3M 1100 model. They are foam and cut sound dramatically. The local fire department uses them.

I've used both the Laminar Lip, and a top mount deflector, and I agree they do cut the noise, by cutting the 'snap'? and buffeting of the wind. But for me anyway,..plugs are still needed for anything more than a ride to the grocery,..etc.

Custom-made plugs are generally of hard material, and my helmets don't have enough clearance around my ears to avoid pressing on them uncomfortably. I get by fine with the HL orange ones from Walgreens.

Custom-made plugs are generally of hard material, and my helmets don't have enough clearance around my ears to avoid pressing on them uncomfortably. I get by fine with the HL orange ones from Walgreens.

My molded ear plugs are less than flush with my ears...so if I can get a helmet on, the earplugs will clear too! If my helmet pressed that hard on my ears even without ear plugs, I'd be looking for a new helmet.

My molded ear plugs are less than flush with my ears...so if I can get a helmet on, the earplugs will clear too! If my helmet pressed that hard on my ears even without ear plugs, I'd be looking for a new helmet.

Or new ear plugs. No idea what Ikchris thinks earplugs are made of. I have some custom plugs that are pretty soft, however I wear the foam plugs most of the time.

FWIW... the iPlugs earphones can be specified as low profile (flush to the ear) for use with full face helmets. We have no problem with discomfort with ours, and these are inside Schubert C3 and C3W helmets.

Back