• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Twisted Road by Jack Riepe

Hello, does anybody know what is going on with Jack Riepe. He has not posted anything on his Twisted Road blog since Nov. 29.

Jack

I've missed his posts as well. I know he had some health issues, was impacted by the hurricane, and had a lousy year in general. I got his book, laughed until I cried, and look forward to him getting back on his feet, posting more often, and having a much better 2013. If anyone knows anything else, or finds out he needs anything, I'd like to know. His writing is a gift.

I'm a little concerned too - it looks like this is by far the longest he has gone without posting to his blog. I hope all is well with him. I think his book is great - I hope it's a big hit.

IMHO Jack is a national treasure!
I've tried ordering his new book twice since November with no results, and it has me worried too. I check daily to see if he has updated his blog.
I''m worrried about him too.....

If anyone knows how he's doing, it would be a relief to know.

Ken

I spoke with Riepe this morning and the book launch has left him exhausted. His arthritis has spread to his arms and hands, and is very painful. It hurts for him to type. But he has started a sequel to the new book, though he is very cagey about the release date. Next summer was a very distant possibility. He plans to retstart his blog this weekend.

I emailed with him this morning and he is in good spirits. I told him I considered him one of the premier story tellers of the motorcycle lifestyle and that he is in the company of the likes of Peter Egan.....I hope I did not offend him:)

Riepe

We need to gift him with some voice to text software. Arthritis hurts!

You guys don't know me, but I'd be willing to start a paypal donation fund to get him the software or donate to someone else willing to start it. Of all the times I've been down, read his stories, and laughed out loud, it would be worth a few bucks from me if it would help him write more.

A few years ago this kind of software was a bit lame. Does anyone know if it works well now?

I too tried to order the new book. I'll keep trying. I'd like to see the first one go back in print. Does he have any plans for that to happen?

I also received an email from him today. Same info as others have received. Book is still for sale. Jack plans on writing his blog again this weekend...

Here is part of the email I received that he explains about the book:

"Thank you for expressing an interest in my new book ÔÇö Conversations With A Motorcycle. The entire first printing of this book sold out three weeks before Christmas. It will be available again, as a signed (personally inscribed copy) on or about January 15, 2013. To reserve your place on the Priority Wait List, simply me your name, address, and telephone. You'll get a notification when your book(s) are ready to ship. You can then complete the purchase on PayPal. Books will be available on Amazon after January 15th, though these will not be signed.

If you are looking to make a gift of the book, I can inscribe it to the recipient, mentioning your name. (Hence the request for a telephone number.) There are more than 300 names on the wait list currently, and it seems likely that the second printing will go before Valentine's Day."

A few years ago this kind of software was a bit lame. Does anyone know if it works well now?

Voice to text software is so much more advanced today and so much more inexpensive and available than it has ever been. I would be happy to contribute as well. The arthritis is really hurting him and his doc is telling him that he may never ride again......I can understand him being a bit preoccupied.

Need my Jack back!

Will the software be able to work through Jack's accent?:brow

Count me in for monetary help. Anything to get the Jersey Gent back in print!

Windows 7 has it built in, works pretty good too, much better than the earlier versions of Dragon naturally speaking.

Latest version of dragon premium gets good reviews. I am sure there are others so just a bit of research can help.....now who is going to find out if Jack is a PC or Mac kind of guy.........

Got a kick out of this latest email from Jack. I told him people were asking about him and asked if he was going to check out this thread:

"I thank you for the gesture. I saw the thread yesterday, and I started to untangle the registration process by which I could comment directly, and I an embarrassed to say I got it all screwed up and started yelling. (I really hate computers.) I use an Apple MacPro and have gotten thoroughly used to "click, install, and do whatever the hell you want." The damn thing kept asking me for passwords and secret handshakes. I clicked on the option to have a password emailed to me and the damn thing fizzled. I just said, "**** it." It is the K75 rider coming out in me. "

LOL!

Dragon dictation

If you guys want to start the collection and would like me to handle it, pm me and I'll send you my PayPal address and mailing info. If someone else would like to do it, I'd like to make a donation.

I would be in for a donation.

Not to get this idea too involved, but what about making donations, that at a certain amount, would get you a signed copy of Jack's book?

Nice way to make a donation and sell some of his books?

Back