• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Waiting for parts (?)

R

RETPD2001

While my dealer tells me I will never have to wait for parts, or if they are backordered, no more than 2-3 weeks, I have recently come across a couple of stories that contradict this. One friend waited months for a new wheel after an incident, only to get the wrong one and start the wait period over. I am curious what other peoples experiences have been. Sorry to sound like such a rookie. Thanks in advance.

I've never had to wait for common maintenance parts. The most I've had to wait for uncommon parts is about 8 days (splined flange for the rear wheel). That was unusual. Usually a needed part is available the Thursday after I place the order. Don't know why Thursday.

Lost an alternator in Nevada a few years ago. None in the U.S.A. got a new one by air freight in a day and a half from der faderland.

For BMW parts stocked in the USA you'll likely have to wait a week or so.

If you're in a hurry and are willing to pay the freight, you can participate in BMW's VOR (vehicle off road) program and get them shipped overnight. Obviously Friday means Monday, I think.

If USA is out of stock, it again depends on how much you want to pay.

If you get the wrong part, it's likely an error by your dealer.

I suspect a low-volume dealer may want to "save up" parts orders to achieve quantity discounts, although I have no first-hand experience that this is a valid scenario. If it is, it could help explain quotations of longer wait times.

If the whole world is out of stock, well you're pretty unlucky or your bike is really old (or maybe really new) but this is the exception and not the rule. Horror stories posted here to attempt to slam BMW are silly and boring.

During a visit to the BMW east coast parts distribution center - it was proudly announced that any part order for "in-stock" parts received by 2 or 3PM (forget which) would ship out that day, and that most dealers can expect next morning (UPS/FedEx) delivery if ordered VOR. They claimed if the part is not in stock in the east coast, the west coast would automatically ship it if they had it, and if neither had it - one day delivery from Germany was SOP. The warehouse is HUGE.. about 1,000,000 cubic feet of space. It's for ALL BMW parts in the east coast (cars, bikes, Rolls, Mini..)

Our local dealer places routine parts orders on Fri but orders emergency stuff for overnight. makes sense to me.

Can't say I've ever had an issue with an unexpected parts delay but then I've never had to rebuild a crashed bike and needed a lot of the odd little bits that usually entails.

Friendly parts guy at my local dealer said their policy is to only stock parts that they sell 4 or more per year.

Had to special order a set of front wheel bearings and seals

Back