• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Managing the static Weight of an Oil Head after surgery

Starting back to work today

I was released to go back to start work today. 2 more months of self imposed hiatus from the RT. Things are managing and I'm moving with the changes..

Dadrider

Bounce back attitude

Dadrider, I had Prostate surgery with followup radiation about 6 weeks later. By the third radiation treatment I rode my 1150 RT to the treatment center. I had already had good conversations with the other male patients with treatment scheduled around the same time as me. The atmosphere in the cancer center was kind of "So what are you in for?" Felt like I was on the group W bench (If you remember your Arlo Guthrie) Anyway the day I rode in I told my new found compatriots about the bike and the ride and we were all encouraged and full of bounce back attitude. I believe there is something to the notion of hope expressed in action and that's what that ride was. I was 54 at the time and am now 6 years post without any recurrence. Keep the faith.

I go by Dadio with my grandkids by the way.

1996 R 1100RT with factory side and trunk cases. I weigh about 170 lbs or so. Owned the bike about a year and a half. I'm 54.

I am being faced with prostate surgery in the next 6 weeks or so. I know I have a several week recovery time, I plan to ask my physician about safe return to riding and heed the safe healing time.

I can manage but sometimes it is a chore to manage getting the RT onto it's center stand. I can manage the weight of the bike fairly well at a stop. Has anyone been in the state of life other than me, when did you get back to riding, and how well did you manage? How safe have you managed? I bought the bike for my wife and I to take day rides, we have done a few.

I am hoping to continue once healed. This is the heaviest bike I have owned, although I have never been happier on a bike than this.

I had a complete right shoulder replacement a few years ago.

My DR wouldn't let me ride when I felt ready. He asked what would I do if my bike fell over at a stoplight. I said I would catch it. Exactly why he didn't let me ride for 6 more weeks.

Your body tells you when it is healed. Your DR tells you to give it time. Both right.

Best wishes on a continued recovery!!!!!!!

Back