• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Managing the static Weight of an Oil Head after surgery

Dadrider

Still a learning newbie !
1996 R 1100RT with factory side and trunk cases. I weigh about 170 lbs or so. Owned the bike about a year and a half. I'm 54.

I am being faced with prostate surgery in the next 6 weeks or so. I know I have a several week recovery time, I plan to ask my physician about safe return to riding and heed the safe healing time.

I can manage but sometimes it is a chore to manage getting the RT onto it's center stand. I can manage the weight of the bike fairly well at a stop. Has anyone been in the state of life other than me, when did you get back to riding, and how well did you manage? How safe have you managed? I bought the bike for my wife and I to take day rides, we have done a few.

I am hoping to continue once healed. This is the heaviest bike I have owned, although I have never been happier on a bike than this.

During your recovery, just don't use the centerstand. Your bike will survive a few weeks or months with a few smokey starts and in the meantime you can start working out and doing leg presses until you are comfortable pressing down. If your RT leans way over then put a chunk of 2x4 or 2x6 on the floor and rest the sidestand on top of that to bring the bike more upright. Good luck.

My situation (stroke and brain surgery) is a bit different, but perhaps my experience will be helpful. Take your time, and don't expect your doctor(s) to be too enthusiastic about your getting on a motorcycle (ever).

I had a serious stroke (bleeding into my brain) at age 60 in February, 2012. Ambulance, CAT scan at local hospital, helicopter to downtown Philadelphia, two brain surgeries. Things didn't look too good about ever getting back on my 'RS (although I have no memory of anything for about six weeks). By the grace of God, I had none of the long-term deficiencies common to strokes. No numbness, vision OK, speech OK, and balance fine. I do have some short-term memory deficiency (did a little rehab for that), and was very concerned about my awareness (like tracking traffic around me) on the bike. I was allowed to drive about two months later, and returned to work as an engineer a month after that. After driving for about three months, I felt ready for the bike. I went for a ride (a couple of hours) with a friend, and later felt confident enough to ride alone. By the time I felt really ready to go, the weather had closed in, so I'm eagerly awaiting spring. Medical professionals tend to grimace when you mention motorcycles, though my neurosurgeon did admit that she rides a moped in downtown Philly -- way crazier than anything I'd try.

Good luck, and take it slow.

...how well did you manage? Dadrider

I had elective abdominal surgery some years ago, and I quit riding, working out, and playing squash for a few months afterwords. There were no issues. You should make a full recovery, and I wouldn't worry about recovering, just don't push it.

I would also suggest having your tech review your operation of the centre stand; it should be easy.

Good luck with your treatment.

Last edited:
have had shoulder surgery on both L and R sides, successive winters. stayed off bike for about 3-4 months each time (did surgery in December so i could be back riding in spring), slowly returned to working out, and then biking. shoulders still pain me sometimes, but life is like that.
easiest fix is to stop obsessing about getting it onto the c-stand. other than for working on bike, and possibly loading for longer trips, there's no real need for it to go up there.
talk to your doc about how to safely increase your gym time (pace, loading, etc) to increase your overall strength. that is something that WAY too many of us neglected for WAY too long (present company excluded, of course. i've been a gym rat most of my adult life, and it has always paid off in being able to handle the weight/size of my bikes with relative ease.)

My friend had prostate surgery and his doctor made him stay off of his oilhead for a good while. He was told that sitting on the seat put pressure on tender and healing parts of the body. His strength was back to 100% before he was allowed to ride again.

Once you are ready to ride, you might consider a new rear shock if you are still having difficulty putting it onto the centre stand. My '98 R1100RT just jumps up with no effort (a little more difficult getting it down). A board under the rear wheel will also help getting it onto the centre stand. As stated previously, the side stand may become your best friend.

When I first got my K100RT, it was usually impossible to put it on the centre stand until the shock was replaced. The new shock solved my problem.

All the best with the surgery and riding.

I've had a bad back for years, easily re-injured by compression, so I simply don't use the center stand away from home. I've a hoist on an I-beam in my shop and I lift the bike through the rear wheel if I need to change oil, rotate the bike in a small space, etc. Accommodation is key.

... I can manage but sometimes it is a chore to manage getting the RT onto it's center stand. ...
First of all, I wish you best of luck for the procedure and a fast recovery!

Second: same weight and age here.
However, I do not consider my 1150RT to be too difficult to stand up - actually it is quite easy. (Of course, I may have a skewed perception; my previous two touring bikes were K12LT's - now, these were truly heavy!)

I wonder if you use an improper technique to pick it up. You may want to investigate that: you should not need to fight the bike, whether post-op or not.

Robert.

Last edited:
Make sure you are doing Kegel exercises before surgery to strengthen muscles in area. It takes some time to recover and I'd allow three months, maybe a bit more. After you have recovered there should be no problems riding, muscling your bike around and getting it on and off the center stand.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I do plan to take it easy going and not push getting back into the saddle. Surgery should be sometime this month I believe.

I took the bike out for a ride Saturday, filled it up with petrol, did a short stint afterward, she is on the battery tender and I'm going in later this week. I'm ready to ride again today. Hope to be back in the saddle 100%

I am home now. They kept me in a day longer. the tissue around the prostate was inflammed, the procedeure was slightly different than planned. Got home Saturday. I sleep a lot, I don't think I have walked a 100 yards a day yet. maybe 40 or 50. I'm still controlling the discomfort / pain. going in wed for pathology report. Cath will be removed next monday. I feel good at times, then not good at times, that will pass. Glad to be home, glad to be alive. glad to have a wife and children and friends who take care of me as I am.

Thank you for all the prayers and well wishes.

1996 R 1100RT with factory side and trunk cases. I weigh about 170 lbs or so. Owned the bike about a year and a half. I'm 54.

I am being faced with prostate surgery in the next 6 weeks or so. I know I have a several week recovery time, I plan to ask my physician about safe return to riding and heed the safe healing time.

I can manage but sometimes it is a chore to manage getting the RT onto it's center stand. I can manage the weight of the bike fairly well at a stop. Has anyone been in the state of life other than me, when did you get back to riding, and how well did you manage? How safe have you managed? I bought the bike for my wife and I to take day rides, we have done a few.

I am hoping to continue once healed. This is the heaviest bike I have owned, although I have never been happier on a bike than this.

Not to sound bossy? But right now concentrate on your health. You'll get back on. If ya push it ? ya might not!....jus-sayin'

Good on ya and good to hear you're OK. Take it easy and rely on those around you for now. All good things come to those who have the patience to wait.

I have been lucky enough not to have any medical/physical issues yet at 58. But yesterday I was clearing out my cluttered garage so I could work on a Ural sidecar project I've had in the works. Was a good excuse to move out, start-up and exercise my r1100rt and Softail a bit from their winter sleep. In the low 30's but sunny so nice weather. Though the HD is a heavier bike it is lower to the pavement than the rt. I was thinking how much longer will I be able to push this Bavarian Beast around. Has become a chore but riding it... one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned.
It has become harder to get up on the center stand as well. Maybe the bike is gaining weight and it's not me?
I wish.

mike wex
'96 r1100rt
'99 Softail
'07 Ural Patrol
'66 Honda Benly 150

I have been lucky enough not to have any medical/physical issues yet at 58. But yesterday I was clearing out my cluttered garage so I could work on a Ural sidecar project I've had in the works. Was a good excuse to move out, start-up and exercise my r1100rt and Softail a bit from their winter sleep. In the low 30's but sunny so nice weather. Though the HD is a heavier bike it is lower to the pavement than the rt. I was thinking how much longer will I be able to push this Bavarian Beast around. Has become a chore but riding it... one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned.
It has become harder to get up on the center stand as well. Maybe the bike is gaining weight and it's not me?
I wish.

mike wex
'96 r1100rt
'99 Softail
'07 Ural Patrol
'66 Honda Benly 150

Yes it's gaining weight, the rear shock needs replacing. Your current shock is most likely sagging and you are actually lifting much more weight than before. Had this problem with my K. Put a new shock on and that bike will jump right up onto the centre stand for you! :laugh

Back