• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Higher MIleage k1600- do they exist?

stokesrl

I have made a nobservation that I haven't seen a k1600 for sale with more than 4k miles on it. Many have had less than 2k miles. I know they have not been out that long but by now, I would expect more than that. Any thoughts? Have you noticed the same thing? Are the folks that are really riding them keeping them and those having mid life crisis are selling them after a couple rides?

What's high mileage on a 2012? I've got 16.5 k and see quite a few at 25-30k on k1600 forum. There's a guy there "meese" who I'm guessing is over 40k in less than a year. Fwiw

And those bikes are not up for sale; their owners are presumably happy with them.

That's the key thing. If you don't like the bike, you are sellling it after you rode it for, maybe, 1000-2000 miles. If you like it, you put more miles on it and you don't sell it after a year.
Watch for bikes for sale in another 8-12 monthes when there is another year of warranty left and people will buy a new one.

I have noticed it. And wondered why? It could be the economy? That's a bunch of $$ for a motorcycle, particularly if it is not ridden as much as one would like. And the thought that the $$ could be better spent elsewhere? Allot of folks suffering set-backs lately.

And perhaps it's just to darn big for some buyers? I've also heard some say that BMW has lost some of it's edge in 'quality'? overall. And the complexity of the K16 is yielding problems?

I have noticed it. And wondered why? It could be the economy? That's a bunch of $$ for a motorcycle, particularly if it is not ridden as much as one would like. And the thought that the $$ could be better spent elsewhere? Allot of folks suffering set-backs lately.

And perhaps it's just to darn big for some buyers? I've also heard some say that BMW has lost some of it's edge in 'quality'? overall. And the complexity of the K16 is yielding problems?

I don't quite understand what you're saying.
The price for the K16 is very competitive, if you compare it to the bikes in the same class.
And why is it "not ridden as much" ???? Obviously only by the few who don't like it anyway and will sell it.
What do you expect to find on the used bike market of a bike that is just a year old??? Bikes with 30,000 miles on it? I got my K16 in spring of 2012 and put 6,000 miles on it during the season. It is not my only bike and I put another 4,000 miles on other rides.
Yes, it is big. But so are all full touring bikes. It is a pain to push around, but as soon as you ride it, it feels lighter than any other bike of that displacement size.
And while there are a few glitches - as with any manufacturer and any new model - I had absolutely no complaint. Not even about excessive tire wear.
Just my 2?ó.

The 2013's did not change much other than colors and a few minor tweaks (display format and frame decorations) so it's just a continuation of the same great bike for another year. I'm guessing when the 2014's are available you'll start seeing some higher mileage K16s on the market as people start trading up. There are people over on the K1600forum that have many 10's of thousands of miles on theirs. I took delivery of mine last January and due to some pretty intensive commitments only put about 9,000 miles on it. I get happier with my GT after every ride and won't be interested in swapping out of it until there's another bike made by anyone that's better.

I don't quite understand what you're saying.
The price for the K16 is very competitive, if you compare it to the bikes in the same class.
And why is it "not ridden as much" ???? Obviously only by the few who don't like it anyway and will sell it.
What do you expect to find on the used bike market of a bike that is just a year old??? Bikes with 30,000 miles on it? I got my K16 in spring of 2012 and put 6,000 miles on it during the season. It is not my only bike and I put another 4,000 miles on other rides.
Yes, it is big. But so are all full touring bikes. It is a pain to push around, but as soon as you ride it, it feels lighter than any other bike of that displacement size.
And while there are a few glitches - as with any manufacturer and any new model - I had absolutely no complaint. Not even about excessive tire wear.
Just my 2?ó.

My $$ comment wasn't pointing to the K16 specifically , just non-essential purchases in general. And I was not dissin' the K16 either. But some that I have read, has been less then flattering. And it is pretty much fact that the more complex a vehicle , the more [possibilities] for problems.

Obviously there are those selling, and it seems early in the ownership. I'm sure the reasons are many & varied.

It could be the economy?

The economic collapse occurred in 2008, and I have to think that most of the shake out resulting from it occurred well before the K1600 was introduced. Of course, employment termination can occur at any time.

A factor which hasn't been mentioned is that there is bound to be some fall off when any new model of anything, is introduced. I remember a prominent local BMW collector selling his K1200RS about a year after they were introduced, saying that it was so fast that he thought he would lose his license on it. And he was worried about his replacement final drive. :hide

On one of the Porsche boards, the owner of a brand new 911 went public with his dislike of it, and the thread got so hot that the moderator ended up closing it. :ha

What's high mileage on a 2012? I've got 16.5 k and see quite a few at 25-30k on k1600 forum. There's a guy there "meese" who I'm guessing is over 40k in less than a year. Fwiw

If it`s the same Meese i`m thinking of , he does alot of rally`s & long distance rider , so yea he should have alot of miles on it.

K1600 is a good bike

I have 8000 miles on my K1600GTL. I have had zero warranty problems with it. I had 4 warranty problems with my 2010 R1200RT during the same first 8000 miles. There are many like me who have had zero problems with the bike.

Remember that you find more people pointing out issues or problems on the internet than you do people singing the praises of particular models. It can be deceiving.

37k Miles

I have put 37K+ miles on my GTL in the 18 months I have had it. Few issues but have been resolved under warranty. None of which would have interupted a trip. Currently waiting on a Cam Shaft Sensor from the Fatherland which was causing the bike to run on a little rough @startup. No issues with engine, trany, or rear drive other then a faulty valve @16K. I knew buying a first production year model might have a few issues but BMW has been good at working to resplve. Would I but again - yes but would have been smarter to wait for the 2013 model.

We just traded for one with mid 20's mileage. He traded an RT for it, then traded this one for a new 13 with the running changes...the new grab bars, the "eyebrow" driving lights, and new display. People seems surprised that it has that much mileage but that's about the same miles I have on my RT that I bought new last year.

Back