• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1990 k1

E.L. Buff

Picked up my 1990 K1 Friday from the bone yard and got it home
Before I put it in the garage to take it all apart I took some photos to post
8000 miles been in a garage for over 10 years. came with new fuel pump
brake pads , front and rear master cylinders , front brake calipers old ones frozen up.
battery, and fuel filter.
Things I see right away to do before I take it apart.

1 clean out gas tank and replace all fuel lines
2 send out injectors to get cleaned and tested , were do I send them anyone know?
3 New brake lines stainless steel I hope , again were and who do I get them from?
4 Rebuild front forks seal on one leaks other will some follow , and new oil
5 replace all rubber parts from intake and around fuel rail
6 tires look brand new but they have to be hard as a rock ,what and where is a date code on tires?
7 wash off years and years of dirt, wheels and body parts and paint as a whole look good.

So here it is any help or other pointers I would like to hear about them
Thanks Ernie

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 163
by the way front fender is off because of tie down on trailer it came with the bike
Ernie
and one more pic.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 162
Nice purchase EL.
I saw stainless lines on ebay this morning for your year.
Also Look nationwide on Craigslist by searching your parts on www.onecraigs.org
Fork Seals are easy to get,
Rubber is available. You can get everything to get that bike completely up to par.
I would also join the international K100 forum those guys will do a virtual buildout, and they have miles of pertainent threads for every K topic.
I just picked up my K100rs last week, and all three forums have been helpful. I am in Chicago regionalWOA, and this forum as well as the K100 forum.
If you get out to Chicago over the summer look me up.
UJ

SS brake lines

Bob's BMW can have them made up at the right price - makes a HUGE difference in brake feel. Great looking bike!!!!

As normal prep I'd replace all fluids and also lube the final and input splines.

Bob's BMW can have them made up at the right price - makes a HUGE difference in brake feel. Great looking bike!!!!

As normal prep I'd replace all fluids and also lube the final and input splines.

Before you replace the brake hoses, see whether the ABS is working. If not, you might want to consider a brake hose kit that deletes the ABS.

I was told that the ABS was working when the bike got parked
I hope it does will get everything brake why,s working before i get new lines
Ernie

with some wd-40 I got the keys working on all three compartment boxes
the small one in the front had a tool kit and touch up paint kit it also has
a BMW tire repair plug kit with CO2 canisters does all this come with the bike new?
the tool kit looks brand new.
Ernie

Picked up my 1990 K1 Friday from the bone yard and got it home
Before I put it in the garage to take it all apart I took some photos to post
8000 miles been in a garage for over 10 years. came with new fuel pump
brake pads , front and rear master cylinders , front brake calipers old ones frozen up.
battery, and fuel filter.
Things I see right away to do before I take it apart.

1 clean out gas tank and replace all fuel lines
2 send out injectors to get cleaned and tested , were do I send them anyone know?
3 New brake lines stainless steel I hope , again were and who do I get them from?
4 Rebuild front forks seal on one leaks other will some follow , and new oil
5 replace all rubber parts from intake and around fuel rail
6 tires look brand new but they have to be hard as a rock ,what and where is a date code on tires?
7 wash off years and years of dirt, wheels and body parts and paint as a whole look good.

So here it is any help or other pointers I would like to hear about them
Thanks Ernie

I would go with Spiegler for brake lines. They are the gold standard and are available here: http://www.spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-brake-line-kits.html

I have a 1990 K1 that I bought about ten years ago with only 11,000 miles on it. It has 17,000 miles now, but all the rubber bits are in excellent condition so I've left them alone so far. As far as your injectors go, there is certainly nothing wrong with having them cleaned, but there is also the rest of the fuel system. What has worked extremely well for me is to run multiple tanks of fuel dosed with at least 1 oz. of Techron per gallon of gas. After five or six tanks it's been my experience that the bike runs so much sweeter, which I attribute to cleaning out of the combustion chamber.

Once your forks are done with new seals, one way to keep the seals from getting eaten up with road grime are these neopream seal protectors. They attach with Velcro so can be removed quickly for "show": http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43209

Here's how to locate and read the tire production date code. Bear in mind that how the bike has been stored will affect the effective age of the tires. If the bike has been outside a lot or stored in an area with a lot of ozone they will age out faster. http://www.ehow.com/how_6904540_tell-age-motorcycle-tires.html

Good luck with your project. The K1 is a very cool bike in so many ways and was a platform for a number of innovations BMW later added to both the K series and the Oilheads when they were introduced. Every time I ride mine I get a lot of inquires and amazed looks when I explain it's 22 years old.

Attachments

• PB070005.jpg
    PB070005.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 89
Greg what a sweet ride now I know what it looks like without years of dust and dirt .
Thanks for the info.
It would be nice to kept a log and a lot of photos to do some kind of story or teck. thing
about rebuilding an old K1
Ernie

Rebuilding a K1 is not that unique of an undertaking as it is basically a K100RS. If all the special bodywork is O.K., most of the other items are pretty low effort. These early K bikes were built like tanks.
I have had my 1990 K1 since 1994 and have done nothing to it other than regular maintenance.
One critical spot on the bodywork is the front fender which cracks around the fork mounting area. Watch for it and release the stress by drilling small holes at the ends of the cracks.

Attachments

• 90K1Apr26-09.JPG
    90K1Apr26-09.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 69
Seeing all of these K1 pictures made me remember the first time my wife saw a K1. We were at a dealer picking up parts for my boxer. She was browsing the showroom floor and walked up to the K1 and looked at the price tag. I heard her exclaim with a gasp,"That cost more than my car."

Back