• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to buy Golden 4 Spectro Engine Oil

thank you. I did see that. I wanted to see if a member had an online recommendation that is realizable.

I've been purchasing it from my local Cycle Gear. They usually have the 1 liter bottles on the shelf, and have ordered the 4 liter bottles for me as well. For what its worth, I've also gotten it from Cycle Gear in Portland, OR and Washington State when I'm up that way, so I think it maybe a regularly stocked item with the chain.

That oil is for Harleys with wet sump, it might work, but the Golden 4 Spectro is what BMW recommends.

1. I doubt your engine can tell the difference.

2. Someone please lock down this thread before someone starts talking about synthetic.

:laugh

1. I doubt your engine can tell the difference.

2. Someone please lock down this thread before someone starts talking about synthetic.

:laugh

He's right though. My bad. The 10.99 product is semi-synthetic, the Amazon listed product is 6.99 but is Dino oil.
Which is what I would use anyway...

But.. Not the same stuff. Does the same job.
Oh crap, am I starting an oil thread here? :hide

I used to use Golden Spectro 4.

Then my factory-trained BMW mechanic told he that he uses nothing but Mobil 1 15/50. You can get that almost anywhere.

So, that's what I use now.

In the past, I've bought the Golden Spectro by the case from my local BMW dealer.

In the past, I've bought the Golden Spectro by the case from my local BMW dealer.

I've never seen Golden Spectro sold at the dealer. If you mean that the BMW oil is blended by Spectro, then yes, the dealer sells that. But not the straight-up oil in Spectro bottles.

I started an oil thread...of sorts in the Airheads forum. I have completed testing of 18 oils similar to testing that was done by Jeffrey DiCarlo (1999) and Matt Parkhouse (2002). My results start with this post:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?63581-Oil-Analysis-Update&p=842930&viewfull=1#post842930

The Spectro products, BMWs, as well as some other popular oils were tested for ZDDP, viscosity, and TBN. I will be submitting an article to the ON soon.

Can I bust into my new gallon jug of Rotella T6 yet?-Or must I wait for the results?:eat:laugh

I've never seen Golden Spectro sold at the dealer. If you mean that the BMW oil is blended by Spectro, then yes, the dealer sells that. But not the straight-up oil in Spectro bottles.

I had to double check. I've bought both, by the case. The BMW "brand" as well as straight up Golden Spectro.

However, per my last post, I no longer purchase either, since I'm a Mobil 1 kind of guy now.

Can I bust into my new gallon jug of Rotella T6 yet?-Or must I wait for the results?:eat:laugh

Go ahead with your oil...Rotella T6 wasn't on the menu. Shell Rotella T in 15w40 flavor was. It was the only 40w tested. It was so-so on ZDDP...would have been better if it had more. It was pretty good in the other two categories, but I think people are more concerned with ZDDP.

Back