• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 R1200R Canister removal

fletchdude

Is there a thread on how to jumper out the canister that sits in front of the front shock? I need to set up new pair of shocks and it sure would be nice to have that out of the way even if temporarily.

OK, I assume this is too touchy of a subject. I did a google search and found several posts on how to do this along with a lot of controversy as to whether this is good for the environment and against the law etc. I really just want to get it out the way to play with the top preload nuts without the can in the way. Hope I didn't dredge up a sore subject and I apologize for that. I just put in a rebuilt ABS module and need to road test the bike so I put the canister back on. I'll pull it out later when I set up the shocks.

I suggest you do a search on "cannisterectomy" there are instructions available. It's your bike do with it what you want. Don't worry about the "greenies" as every mile you ride decreases your impact on the environment as opposed to driving those same miles.

I would save the canister though. Some states are rumbling about smog checks for motorcycles, at which point you will need it. They keep threatening us here in California. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, I saw the term "cannisterectomy" out there. I guess I should have added the word "removal" to my title. I'll go back and read those. Hopefully it will point me to the right size hose fittings to use or I'll pick up a assortment. Its not too many lines. I'll save the canister :)

cheers, Fletch

Other than access to your front shock, why would you want to eliminate the charcoal cannister? Does it affect the performance or driveability?

I have read from others that if the canister fills with fuel from over fill or tip over, the contents of the canister gets sucked into the throttle body and burned through the engine. This does not sound like a good thing.

BTW, your sig says you live in HB. The canister is required in CA, just so you know.

I don't think I'd remove the cannister myself. How high is too high when filling that might cause fuel to get into cannister? I've been filling about half way up the tube inside top of tank.

I have read from others that if the canister fills with fuel from over fill or tip over, the contents of the canister gets sucked into the throttle body and burned through the engine. This does not sound like a good thing.

BTW, your sig says you live in HB. The canister is required in CA, just so you know.

That was common on R1150 series bikes where the canister was located lower then the fuel tank (much lower).. on the R1200R the canister is located between the fork tubes at about tank level (perhaps a bit lower).. and I haven't heard of any of them doing this.

FWIW - the canister is a US/Canada only addition. It is not on bikes sold in Europe last I checked.

...I think what's meant is really over-filling and incase of a tipover the excess fuel will go into the can as opposed to on the ground.

Back