• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flea Market in the Forum is Doomed

STONER

I know, everyone seems to be posting warm fuzzies about the new website, but the Flea Market as a forum listing has basically killed it. Most people probably had the old Flea Market bookmarked and when the link fails just give up. The scarcity of listings is really a disappointment. What are the plans for a new Flea Market: timing, format, accessability, communications of new format and processes?

Stoner - Life Member

Stoner -

I would hope that people are more resilient than that! There are postings all over the forum and on the main MOA website that direct people to the new forum. The link on the home has beeb changed to point to the new Flea Market. So, it's pretty hard to not find it now!

There seems to be a bit more interaction between people with the new arrangement. People have been asking questions directly in that setting rather than trading PMs or emails through the old system. I never did go to the old Flea Market much, so I don't really know that much about how effective it was.

The current Flea Market inside the forum is only temporary, though. My understanding is that when we transition to a new website/forum, the original setup with a Flea Market link at the top of the page will come back. If you looked at the post I put up showing a preliminary view of the new forum, you could see the Flea Market link at the top of the page:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64995-Initial-Look-of-the-Forum

As I understand it, when we get to the new forum, it should be pretty much like the old Flea Market...a separate link at the top of the page and not within the forum.

I think a Flea Market in any form should be good...I agree that having a dead link isn't good, but right now there's no dead link that I can find. If we're missing it, please let me know.

There seems to be a bit more interaction between people with the new arrangement. People have been asking questions directly in that setting rather than trading PMs or emails through the old system. I never did go to the old Flea Market much, so I don't really know that much about how effective it was.

I like this feature. One person can ask a question, and the answer is available for everyone to see. If you want to dicker on the price, you can still do this by PM or email.

Lost advertisement

The "new" Flea Market notwithstanding, how do I find an ad I placed about a month ago under the old format. I'm only seeing the latest (since the conversion) postings.

how do I find an ad I placed about a month ago under the old format.

Not sure if you noticed my post here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64874-Flea-Market-no-access&p=844471&viewfull=1#post844471

The old ads couldn't be brought over, so we decided to start from scratch. Ads are typically only allowed for 30 days so your previous ad would have expired by now. If you would like some help finding an old ad, PM me with some info and I'll see what I can do.

Update: The only "old" Flea Market I can find has the latest listing for early October. I can't find your username in any of the listings at all. If you say that you had an ad about a month ago or so, then I doubt we'll be able to track down the ad because it was lost during the upgrade to the forum software.

I believe that the IBMWR classified marketplace is free to use. I've made some purchases there with good success. The organization of the IBMWR classified marketplace makes it quite easy to find specific bikes / stuff (i.e., airhead, oilhead, K bike stuff). My experience is only as a buyer, not as a seller.

http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/

Is there a way to set up the "new posts" to NOT show flea market ads? I like to basically just go to threads that have updates all together, rather than each header...

Also, is there a way to not view a thread using that method? Basically hide a thread?

Change is hard for some :laugh

The old flea market worked, and so does the new one........good job :thumb

Is there a way to set up the "new posts" to NOT show flea market ads? I like to basically just go to threads that have updates all together, rather than each header...

Also, is there a way to not view a thread using that method? Basically hide a thread?

I don't think there's a way to do what you want. You can be notified when things change in specific areas of the forum...that called setting up a subscription. But to hide things doesn't seem to be an option for individual users.

I actually like them to show up when I hit new posts, I rarely went special to the flea market section. And if I was selling, I would welcome the additional exposure of more people seeing them.

Is there a way to set it up so it makes me incredibly wealthy w/ zero work on my part?
I mean if I'm gonna ask for something it may as well be worth it...
No? :heh

But to hide things doesn't seem to be an option for individual users.

That's correct. VB will let an admin set it up where a certain forum does not show in "New Posts" but individual users do not have that option.
For me, I like seeing the Flea Market in "New Posts"

I know, everyone seems to be posting warm fuzzies about the new website, but the Flea Market as a forum listing has basically killed it. Most people probably had the old Flea Market bookmarked and when the link fails just give up. The scarcity of listings is really a disappointment. What are the plans for a new Flea Market: timing, format, accessability, communications of new format and processes?

Stoner - Life Member

Doomed?

Ummm - crazy thought here....but you could *delete* your old bookmark to the old fleamarket and then *create* a new bookmark to the new flea market.

Your computer is designed to do that sort of thing. EZ-peezy.

It's kind of like if the wife decides to put the can opener in a different drawer. You don't starve to death....you just start going to the other drawer.

The new fleamarket is the way the rest of the world buys and sells things on internet forums. The boffins at HQ have finally sorted the one thing that bothered me (a new member) about the website. Count me in as a supporter:clap.

Just to prove my previous point, putting the Flea market in the "new posts" search will exponentially grow it, IMHO. I buy sell and trade stuff all the time, I have 4 in the family that ride, so always wearing out stuff or looking for upgrades.

I frequent ADV rider, and ebay (over 500 transactions) perusing the offerings, but in the years I have been here I have never listed, on only a couple times looked here.....................Until Yesterday, I hit new posts and low and behold someone was selling a set of BMW Goretex inserts, in my size!! I have been looking for a year for a set to go with my BMW Atlantis pants, I bought last year off the Pelican R1100S forum, and the Santiago Jacket I picked up a few months ago on ADV rider.

So my vote is to leave it as it is now, I will bet a piece of pie to any detractor, that in 6 months, the volume and speed of sales will be up a minimum 25%, and listings will increase due to the exposure. I win, you buy the pie!

Proof is in the pudding!

So my vote is to leave it as it is now, I will bet a piece of pie to any detractor, that in 6 months, the volume and speed of sales will be up a minimum 25%, and listings will increase due to the exposure. I win, you buy the pie!

Proof is in the pudding!

No. The Pie. :D

I don't know the ins and outs of the ForumWare but...

...is it possible to add a radial button in the "Miscellaneous Options" section below stating "Vendor" or "Member".
What that button "broadcasts" is up to the folks behind the screen. Perhaps a different "icon" in list view stating vendor.
Yes, vendors should have access to the Flea Market if they are in fact buying ad space OR if they are of course a Dues Paying Member in good standing.

This way we know with whom we are dealing.

This is just an alternate idea to a whole new additional section.

My 2?ó.

IÔÇÖm not a rally rat so I find very few threads worth opening on the forum. However, having the flea market listings in the regular ÔÇ£new postsÔÇØ listing makes the site much more interesting for me.

Back