• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS Project Bike

Restore

What a unique bike!

I restored a 85 K100RS a few years back - and I'm not a mechanic by any stretch. Find the right body shop to restore the plastic pieces - it'll take a few calls to find someone who cares enough to do this. I used the Clymer manual and info floating around on the internet....and it worked great.

The miles seem high if accurate - replacing the engine/tranny and drive system are easy - lots of parts available.

Well worth the effort IMHO, and the starting price is right. You'll probably put another $2000 into her to get to nice running condition -

My 87 K75 came with that Pichler fairing. I wasn't too sad when the fairing was irreparably damaged in a crash.

It exacerbates the K's heat issue by enclosing the engine casing, forcing any heat thrown off the engine straight onto your legs or up under the seat, then to emerge in a superheated stream directed at your thighs by the swoosh-shaped side panels. I'm talking raised blisters, second-degree burns.

The plastic is about half the thickness of OEM fairings. As a consequence, it tends to crack and break, particularly around the critical points where it screws to the mounting brackets.

Because the fairing wasn't specifically designed for the bike (or if it was, it was poorly considered), your knuckles will hit the fairing if you turn the fork full-lock to either side. Not a problem during regular riding for me, at least; just irritating.

Unlike typical touring-type fairings, there's virtually no usable space on it to mount GPS or whatever else you might want, if that's your thing.

if you should choose to replace the Pichler, you'll need mirrors, turn signals + mounts, a complete headlight + mount assembly, and an instrument cluster mount if your headlight mount doesn't have that integrated. These items can be somewhat surprisingly expensive (and scarce) - you could spend $300-500 just making that a street-legal naked bike, before dealing with any mechanical issues.

The one nice thing I'll say about the Pichler is that it does keep the air off the rider pretty well.

Back