• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Highway Pegs ?

jsoque

What are you using our there for highway pegs?

Did you base your choice on appearance, lines, cost, opportunity, show sample?

RCU has these:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1533

Elf Pegs are out there for the twin spark oil head:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2748

I believe I saw a set on the December 2012 Christmas Gift Ideas page
of the MOA, but, I can't seem to find my darn copy!

Any opinions out there from the long riders?

Thanks from Long Island!

Jim

These were on the bike when I bought mine, not sure of the brand but they work fine.

1998R1100RT009.jpg

Mick-o-Pegs are another option

I bought these a few years ago.
http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/page23.php
A bit pricey but all the other styles require much longer legs and even then your legs have to be in an awkwardly high position. There are some things that I want to change on mine. I want to make some pegs with deeper knurling and end caps on them so I can tell where the ends of the pegs are easily so my boots stay on them and in the right place. I have an RT and getting the fairing halves off with these on, while not impossible is a bit of a challenge.

Wow!

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'd better take a boot length and leg measurement first, and then, mark my spot on the tupperware
with all of the choices of highway peg systems out there.

Thanks Brasscap:
Looks like they are a Talon Falcon highway peg mount, from Hawks Products International.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/hawksproducts/catalog/search

See you all on the road, eventually!

Jim

Be very careful

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so I'll be the bad guy.

The threads the valve cover bolts screw into are not strong enough to do any more than just hold the covers on.
I know some folks have got away with it for years but that doesn't make it a good idea.
They are easy to strip and many owners have had to repair their heads with inserts.

If you use those points for accessories you are asking for trouble.

Sorry but it just wouldn't be right to let it go.

The threads the valve cover bolts screw into are not strong enough to do any more than just hold the covers on.
I know some folks have got away with it for years but that doesn't make it a good idea.
They are easy to strip and many owners have had to repair their heads with inserts.

Doesn't the fact that is has been done for years show that the bolts are strong enough to do more than just hold the covers on?

I have never known of any owner who has had to repair them, and a quick search of the forum produced nothing in that regard.
I am sure, however, that they are not meant for anything heavier than a leg resting on them and no doubt someone has damaged the bike while abusing them.

Mine are fine, but they only support a set of Hella FF50 driving lights. On an S, really don't have the need for highway pegs. :D

Cheers, :brow

I have the same that appear in posts 3 and 6 by brass cap. To further customize them, I drilled holes along the rail so that I could adjust/move the pegs to a more comfortable position. To fill the holes that I was not using I went to ace hardware and for .20 cents bought these little plastic caps that fit and hide the holes. It really looks nice after I painted the thing with aluminum paint. Eventually I did find some really nice looking pegs from twisted throttle that are machined aluminum too and painted those the same color. It came out looking professional and they are truly functional. The problem that I found with the elf pegs is that the RT and perhaps even the GS(A) bikes engine cylinders are not equally the same distance from the seat, ie, one leg must be longer/shorter than the other. Having adjustable pegs is the way to go as you will find when you sit on your bike and extend your legs, see where they end up on the cylinder heads. Hopes this helps you Jim, I'm also in Wantagh, just west of you.

Attachments

• Hwy Pegs_01.jpg
    Hwy Pegs_01.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 283
I had the ELF pegs installed at the International Rally in Gray, TN on my CLC. On long rides the pegs allow me to move and relax my legs. I'm glad that I bought them. RIDE SAFE

I have the same that appear in posts 3 and 6 by brass cap. To further customize them, I drilled holes along the rail so that I could adjust/move the pegs to a more comfortable position. To fill the holes that I was not using I went to ace hardware and for .20 cents bought these little plastic caps that fit and hide the holes. It really looks nice after I painted the thing with aluminum paint. Eventually I did find some really nice looking pegs from twisted throttle that are machined aluminum too and painted those the same color. It came out looking professional and they are truly functional. The problem that I found with the elf pegs is that the RT and perhaps even the GS(A) bikes engine cylinders are not equally the same distance from the seat, ie, one leg must be longer/shorter than the other. Having adjustable pegs is the way to go as you will find when you sit on your bike and extend your legs, see where they end up on the cylinder heads. Hopes this helps you Jim, I'm also in Wantagh, just west of you.

Nice job. I like the way you mounted them on the bottom fasteners for a lower foot position.

Hey Ace, I wondered why that was, offset connecting rods etc., thanks. Never thought that deeply about it though, although if I had to get into the guts it would have become apparent. Boy, I hope I just haven't opened a bad omen for myself or some weirdo stuff, I really don't want to dig in there just yet. I just got mo edjumacated.

single spark heads

I had the ELF pegs installed at the International Rally in Gray, TN on my CLC. On long rides the pegs allow me to move and relax my legs. I'm glad that I bought them. RIDE SAFE

Think twice about ELF pegs, the manufacturer states in their installation instructions [for show use only], I have a pair and they are not very sturdy. 2000RT

Ilium Works Highway Pegs mounted on ZTechnikÔÇÖs Engine Guards.

+1 on the Ztechnik engine guards. I don't have foot pegs (don't want or need them) but if I did I would put them on my Ztechnik engine guards and not on or near the valve cover bolts. They were not designed for this as has been discussed in previous threads.

What are you using our there for highway pegs?

Elf Pegs are out there for the twin spark oil head:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2748

Any opinions out there from the long riders?

Jim

I inherited some ELF pegs on my 1998 R1100R. I find them to be well made, and they are cool. However, I do not like the geometry. I do not need to move my legs to the highway pegs on long rides. Just not the way I am wired up. To tell you the truth, the air catches my groin when I am on those pegs, and it is just not all that comfortable.

I took them off and am looking to sell them. I need the plastic covers to cover the wires. They won't fit your bike, though.

Thanks,
Matt

Back