• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looks like more than just some holes. It appears to be largely redesigned to accomodate the openings. Oh well, wishful thinking.

I believe one solution that was being touted was reducing the output to reduce heat but I don't know if anyone went with that idea. IIRC as stated above Electrosport is trying to compensate for the heat by using better wire/insulation and they say it should be good for higher temps than the stocker would get.

Roy are you saying they charged you 1200 dollars just for a stator ?!?!

Yes... I fed ElectroSport the details of our "issue" and they assert they have modified the design with different winding pattern and better (lower resistance) wire and maybe a few other trickes ... done with intent to reduce internal heat generation.

$1200 would not surprise me as the stator "kit" BMW sells for the twins is ~$900 you get the stator and flywheel together....

But they only gave him the stator out of the unit so he essentially paid them to upgrade one of their units :/ I understand they have to buy the whole "assy" but the least they could have done is sent him the upgraded rotor when it came in. Unless this was prior to the 09 "upgrade".

Sorry, I missed that part ....

For the dealership to get a replacement stator will cost them ~$900 but ...

If I had a "solid" rotor and paid $1200 (recently - after new design was available),
I'd sure as heck make sure I got a vented rotor installed at some point ... hopefully at no charge... or modest cost...

PS: if there ends up being a "spare" ventalated flywheel laying around I'd pay $100 for it without thinking about it...
I'd probably pay more ... but would have to think about how much more .... :laugh

I have been hearing rumbles about the F-series stators going out around 20,000-30,000 miles. I just picked up a 650 this summer and plan on putting a lot of miles on, and don't want to have to worry about this on a trip. Anyone else hearing about this?

My 09 F650GS stator was failing a month a way from BMW's warranty lapsing. If it was not for Clearwater Lights' CVS, I would have been looking at $700-800 out of pocket. Best $60 I've ever spent.

http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_cvs.html

Electrosport Industries Stator ESG070 for BMW F800ST 2007-2011

My F650GS twin stator went out at 39K miles. BMW won't sell just a stator it comes as a kit with a stator and flywheel for the ridiculous price of $900. This kit now comes with an updated flywheel that has holes in it thats supposed to help keep the stator cool. Who knows if it works.

I wasn't interested in dropping nearly a grand for a simple stator so I bought an aftermarket one from Ricks for $165. You pull the sidecover off and the stator is bolted to the inside of the sidecover. I had to cut off the plug on the end of the stock stator and solder it onto the new stator. Then bolt the stator back onto the sidecover, install the sidecover and I was good to go. Why the kit doesn't just come with a new plug I don't know. Since I bought mine there is another company making stators for the 800's now so maybe its a direct replacement without having to solder anything.

For the price of the Ricks I can replace the stator 5 times with change left over compared to the price of the BMW one.

The F800 Riders Forum has a thread that will tell you more than you want to know about the stators on these bikes.

I found this one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271058018551?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I found this one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271058018551?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm 100% sure, but I don't think that is the "new and improved" (reduced heat) design for the GS-twins....

If you need a stator you might want to call ElectroSport to be sure ...

I think the new design is P/N: ESG831 shown here:
http://www.electrosport.com/street-bikes/bmw/f800gs.html?pt=stators

Mine just died at ~30,200 miles. Dealer has bike. He mentioned the unit from Rick's as an option (I asked about aftermarket) but expressed concerns that the magnets might no longer be good in my bike, and there would be no way to diagnose until after installation on the bike.
Is that accurate that the magnets can not be field tested? (I know so little about electrics, I don't even know where/which magnets he's talking about- in the rotor?) Is a magnet failure a likely associated problem, or is that something I don't need to worry about? Right now, looking at about $1100 to replace with new unit, or maybe $450 to replace with Rick's kit.
thoughts/recommendations?
I will be calling BMW Service later this morning; hopefully they will give me some coverage on my out-of-warranty bike, for this too common problem.

Mine just died at ~30,200 miles. Dealer has bike. He mentioned the unit from Rick's as an option (I asked about aftermarket) but expressed concerns that the magnets might no longer be good in my bike, and there would be no way to diagnose until after installation on the bike.
Is that accurate that the magnets can not be field tested? (I know so little about electrics, I don't even know where/which magnets he's talking about- in the rotor?) Is a magnet failure a likely associated problem, or is that something I don't need to worry about? Right now, looking at about $1100 to replace with new unit, or maybe $450 to replace with Rick's kit.
thoughts/recommendations?
I will be calling BMW Service later this morning; hopefully they will give me some coverage on my out-of-warranty bike, for this too common problem.

I have not heard of the magnets going bad. I hear that the new rotor from BMW has ventilation built in to help it run cooler. My stater cover runs about 50 degree hotter than the rest of the engine. Mine failed at 52,000.
Still OK at 80,000.

fwiw, I elected to go with the entire stator/rotor/flywheel unit from BMW. the improved cooling, the 2 year warranty, and some great service from my local dealer (Northern Colorado Euro in Ft Collins) sealed the deal for me.

I also discovered that my insurance policy from Dairyland (attained from a Denver area insurance broker that specializes in m/c insurance, at less than half the price quoted via the MOA process) includes free, unlimited miles towing. That was good, as my AMA MoTow would have left me 10 miles shy of the shop. hopefully, I don't get to use it again, but it's quite comforting to know that such service is available.

I've recently purchased a F700GS (fantastic bike- BTW). After reading all this about stator problems, I asked the dealer if the newer models perchance incorporated the updated flywheel/stator.

His response was, "there is no problem. Don't believe the internet". Does anyone know if BMW updated the newer models?

Mike

I've recently purchased a F700GS (fantastic bike- BTW). After reading all this about stator problems, I asked the dealer if the newer models perchance incorporated the updated flywheel/stator.

His response was, "there is no problem. Don't believe the internet". Does anyone know if BMW updated the newer models?

Mike

if i'm reading the fiche accurately, your bike has the newer stator (generator) already.
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=55253&rnd=04302013
Earlier models include a notation that they are now using part # ending in 422, but that it supersedes the earlier pn. your bike, and 2013+ F800s, show only the newer part, with no notation of it superseding the earlier version.

Thank you for the info. Now why didn't I think of that?
I'll confront my BMW dealer and ask why they couldn't give me that info. Actually they are good guys, seems just not up on things. You'd think the Sale Dept. would know this as a sales tool so they could dispel questions.

Mike

Back