• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

in need of a starter assembly switch component for a 1985 K100

Preacherboy

lm learning ma way around this forum,,,,,,,,,,,bit of a challenge,,,,,,,,,,,lve had a "broken button" on the starter push button for a couple of years and now it has become problematic,l can start it no problem but when its running the stem has a tendency to want to slip in causing the fuel, starter to initiate and "flooding with fuel as it will foul the ignition,,,,,,,,,,,,need a new one unless there is an expedient?

lm learning ma way around this forum,,,,,,,,,,,bit of a challenge,,,,,,,,,,,lve had a "broken button" on the starter push button for a couple of years and now it has become problematic,l can start it no problem but when its running the stem has a tendency to want to slip in causing the fuel, starter to initiate and "flooding with fuel as it will foul the ignition,,,,,,,,,,,,need a new one unless there is an expedient?

"The Lord has fixed the time for my death, I do not concern myself with it. This is the way all men should live, this way all men would be equally brave."

If that was happening on my bike I'd probably order a new switch immediately. Unless there are dealers nearby (San Antonio, Lubbock or El Paso?) get on the horn to MaxBMW or Beemerboneyard or Chicago BMW and have one sent out is my best advice. One other thought---check Drake's website for a good used one (IIRC it's kbikeparts.com and he's in Seattle); if he does it'll be about a third of the cost new.

Sorry that I can't help you much more than that but I don't know what else to recommend. If you were really in a bind I suppose you could Gerry-rig a momentary contact switch from Radio Shack after bypassing the BMW switch; that might work until you could get the proper replacement in place.

Good luck and have fun on the RS! Jeff

If that was happening on my bike I'd probably order a new switch immediately. Unless there are dealers nearby (San Antonio, Lubbock or El Paso?) get on the horn to MaxBMW or Beemerboneyard or Chicago BMW and have one sent out is my best advice. One other thought---check Drake's website for a good used one (IIRC it's kbikeparts.com and he's in Seattle); if he does it'll be about a third of the cost new.

Sorry that I can't help you much more than that but I don't know what else to recommend. If you were really in a bind I suppose you could Gerry-rig a momentary contact switch from Radio Shack after bypassing the BMW switch; that might work until you could get the proper replacement in place.

Good luck and have fun on the RS! Jeff

thanx!! have a couple of irons in the fire!!

The headlight switch broke on my K75. I picked up a used switch cluster from my dealers junk bin for $20 and rebuilt it. Cleaned and lubed the contacts and it works like new. Brand new ones are rather expensive so you can save a lot, but you had better like spring loaded puzzles if you take one apart.

Switchgear for either side show up regularly on eBay. And, as mentioned, if you're handy with wiring, it's a very simple single-pole momentary button. I fixed a sloppy run/stop switch on mine by disassembling, cleaning, and just a touch of bending to get tension where it had become loose.

There are a couple (?) of small springs in that red & green switch assembly that will fly out if you're not careful.

Back