• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Florida Lighthouse Tour Contest

Nice shots of those two lighthouses Gene. They give me perspective on other positions for the photos to be taken from, just like Kaptain's does. If you still have your bike I hope you will retake some of yours with the bike in the foreground. I guess you have seen how big that one pic is, haven't you?

The day I took the pictures of the Mt. Dora light I had lunch at that very restaurant you mentioned!

Florida Light Houses

Hello Chuck,

Yes, some of my images are huge, some raw, some tiff, and some are scanned from 35mm slides which come from my scanner at 300,000 dpi and like 26X30. I don't save too many in jpeg unless I intend or emailing them off. Hard drives fill quickly.

Yes I still ride, this past June I traded up to a 2008 R1200RT, with my age my mind says go, my body says forget it. However it is a great bike and I enjoy it, but my trips are somewhat limited.

I have photographic training, which brings me to this "subject matter". Is the bike the subject or is it the Lighthouse? I know this is a motorcycle forum but this one and and others confuse me. We have all seen your bike or one like it 27 times, show me the subject you are looking at. Sorry that's my training.

I have several others if you would me to post them, I also have some from other coastal states as well. However posting them here may persuade one of the mods to move it to the photography forum. You tell me?

I see you are near Vero Beach, not a bad ride if you want to get together some time.

The pictures are merely an incentive to ride Florida, and, as such, I guess one could say that the subject was BOTH the bike and the lighthouse. I love the one posted by Gene T of Jupiter Light, but it doesn't meet the criteria for the contest. Since he lives pretty close by and rides an RT, maybe this will be enough of a push to get him back out there on the bike and try to get BOTH in the same frame, and still get such a finely composed photo.

Its the ride...and what you discover along the way...that makes you a winner.

Tower Type Light Houses

I like it! There are no winners in this contest, except those who participate; and no losers, except those who who don't. Its about touring the state and having a goal, or reason, for the ride.

Good question about Mount Dora light. Its not an "Official" lighthouse, but is listed in McCarthy's book. I think it's there to draw tourists rather than serve as an aid to navigation. It got me there and I had a delicious meal at a nearby restaurant.

For GeneT, here's one of those 'tower' lighthouses...How about adding some South Florida lights?

Gasparilla Lighthouse, 1/18/2013, by cberry, contest # 4
View attachment 37670

Hi Chuck,

This is not the tower type of light I was referring to, for instance Alligator Reef, Sombero Key, and others which are surrounded by water. Alligator
for instance sits in 20' of water, just adjacent to a drop off outside the reef to 125'. These and others are simply metal towers with open beams and a timed flashing light, each one different timing for identification.

My getting back out to re-photograph the lighthouses on my bike as you suggest sounds good, however some days it is simply an effort just to get up. So with said now that you have me occupied with this and to remain in line with your criteria and not make waves, I believe I shall post the rest of my lighthouse shots in the photography thread. However I don't want you to feel I am trying to steal or hi-jack your thread. So not to conflict, I could call it Nautical or Seascapes. Your thoughts on this are welcome.

Lighthouse, Anastasia

Here is a picture of the northeren light near St Augustine. Not a good shot but meets the needs. Anastastia Island

Great trip up from Daytone on A1A. walked on the Flats near mantanza state park, also rip off breakfast at tourist trap.
DSC00698.jpg

By the way, which is stright, the flag pole or the lighthouse?

Anastasitia Light

Here is a picture of the northeren light near St Augustine. Not a good shot but meets the needs. Anastastia Island

Great trip up from Daytone on A1A. walked on the Flats near mantanza state park, also rip off breakfast at tourist trap.
View attachment 37899

By the way, which is straight, the flag pole or the lighthouse?

Lens distortion, the flag pole being closer is actually and normally distorted by the closeness to the lens, a longer focal length lens will not do that, or possible not as extreme. RE: stand close to a tall building with a short focal length lens and notice the curvature of the building, mostly at the extreme sides.

Perhaps if your camera has a grid in the viewfinder try turning it on and using it to align tall subjects. The photo of this light I submitted likely had a crooked lighthouse do to my closeness, that 's where photo shop comes in handy.

Good luck

Kep 'em Coming

Well done Kaptain...Yes, it meets the criteria. Gene has good pointers.

Port Boca Grande Lighthouse, by cberry, 1/18/2013, contest # 5
85002075.jpg

This pic is a stretch since only a portion of the m/c windshield is in the picture. It shows the lighthouse better than the other one I took from a distance which only shows the tip of the light, and not much of the house.

The history of the area includes rumors of pirates is the area circa 1822, one of whom was named Gaspar, from which the area received its name of Gasparilla Island. The lighthouse went into service in 1890 and was threatened by erosion in the 1950s and 1960s. A massive conservation effort has managed to save the lighthouse from the sea.McCarthy's book, Florida Lighthouses, has an excellent history of this and all the other lighthouses. I highly recommend it to those interested in pursuing this thread.

Hi Chuck,

This is not the tower type of light I was referring to, for instance Alligator Reef, Sombero Key, and others which are surrounded by water. Alligator
for instance sits in 20' of water, just adjacent to a drop off outside the reef to 125'. These and others are simply metal towers with open beams and a timed flashing light, each one different timing for identification.

My getting back out to re-photograph the lighthouses on my bike as you suggest sounds good, however some days it is simply an effort just to get up. So with said now that you have me occupied with this and to remain in line with your criteria and not make waves, I believe I shall post the rest of my lighthouse shots in the photography thread. However I don't want you to feel I am trying to steal or hi-jack your thread. So not to conflict, I could call it Nautical or Seascapes. Your thoughts on this are welcome.

Your post has me reminiscing about the SORC's and Lauderdale to Key West races I did as a kid. I've use most of the lighthouses from St. Pete to Jax for navigation. It's fun to see them from land.

distorted lens problem, of course, question was a TRAP

Lens distortion, the flag pole being closer is actually and normally distorted by the closeness to the lens, a longer focal length lens will not do that, or possible not as extreme. RE: stand close to a tall building with a short focal length lens and notice the curvature of the building, mostly at the extreme sides.

Perhaps if your camera has a grid in the viewfinder try turning it on and using it to align tall subjects. The photo of this light I submitted likely had a crooked lighthouse do to my closeness, that 's where photo shop comes in handy.

Good luck

AH HA, you correctly got the answer, neither are crooked, fortunatly as a former Graphic's person, I also knew it. Usually I carry a few cameras but on THE RT, I dont always have the room, This is a small SONY and not very good but handy.

a easy Picture to HELP find the subject

I hope this can be of help..
FLA light house.jpg

I notice that there are a few missing, But it looks good

That's a good graphic Kaptain. I'm using "Florida Lighthouses, Illustrated Map & guide" published by Bella Terra. It includes a lot of additional information; directions, history, and "True Tales of Florida lighthouses". It and McCarthy's book go with me on every hunt. I'm looking forward to the ride you described to St. Marks light

Another Central West Coast (FL) Light

Not your typical lighthouse structure, the Tierra Verde Lighthouse looks more like a house than a lighthouse. It is a private aid to navigation marking the headquarters to Tampa Bay Watch, a nonprofit environmental organization.

Tierra Verde Lighthouse, by cberry, 1/18/2013, contest #6,
85002041.jpg

Not seeing any water, one might wonder where...? You may be able to make out the light structure just to the left of the car on the bridge.

Tierra Verde Lighthouse, by cberry, 1/18/2013, contest #6A
85002033.jpg

lighthouse, private or otherwise good picture of a 278C GPS

really neat to see the "private" lighthouse and the 276C

That 276 is actually a 376 with XM, and I think it's about the finest unit out there. In fact, I couldn't find one on EBAY so I bought 378 to replace the 376 which no longer has a functioning power cord receptacle. I updated it with a dongle for Bluetooth. Now I have reliable audio XM entertainment radio and detailed XM NEXTRAD weather radar. Beats the livin' snot out of my newer 665.

Bike Week starts this weekend and I'm going to Mayo in JAX on Monday and Tuesday. I'll be taking some Lighthouse pictures along the way and people watchin' at Daytona on the way up or back.:dance

North from the Spacecoast

I've bypasses the Cape Canaveral Light because it may not be visible without access to the AF Station. So, the next one to the north is south of Dayton Beach on A1A. It's a fair trek down to it, but well worth the trip.

Ponce de Leon Inlet Light, 3/11/2013, by cberry, Contest # 7
87338665.jpg

Author Stephen Crane (Red Badge of Courage) was shipwrecked off the coast and used the lighthouse as an aid to navigation and safety in 1897. The light celebrated its centennial onNovember 1, 1987. Open to visitors.

I'm working with a new computer...Very confusing. First pic meets contest criteria. Second one shows the light's environment better.

Amelia Island Lighthouse, 3/13/2013, by cherry, contest # 8
88152948.jpg

87361767.jpg

Florida's oldest (1820) and most northern lighthouse, first stood across the St. Mary's River on Little Cumberland Island,GA. It was disassembled and moved to its current location in 1838.

Last edited:

In 1954 this lighthouse replaced a Lightship that had been anchored 7 miles off shore since 1929. It lacks the beauty and style of many other Florida lighthouses. Its location on the Naval Station Mayport is inaccessible except to people who can obtain access to the Naval Station. It is billed as "Concrete Art Deco" style.

St. Johns Light Station, by Cberry, 3/13/2013, contest # 9
87361724.jpg

History has it that a German submarine landed 4 would-be saboteurs near here during World War 2.

Last edited:

There's one more lighthouse along the East Coast of Florida and it's a beauty. The St. Johns river light started out in 1829 and was soon replaced due to erosion, then later replaced again in 1857 by a lightship because the shifting sand dunes had obscured the then existing lighthouse while a new one was being constructed. That one, which is still standing, saw action during the Civil War and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Johns River Lighthouse, by cberry, 3/13/2013, contest # 10
87361752.jpg

Back