Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Florida Lighthouse Tour Contest

Hybrid View

Smile 2013 Florida Lighthouse Tour Contest

A friendly contest to encourage touring our great state. To run from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.

GUIDELINES

Travel by your personal BMW motorcycle to as many lighthouses as you can during the year and take a digital picture of your bike with the Florida lighthouse in the foreground or background. The lighthouse must be from the list provided by the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society,http://wlol.arlhs.com/index.php?mode=search&sc=FL , and be classified as either operational or historic, and the bike must have been ridden or pushed to its pictured position. No credit may be taken for pictures taken with the bike on a boat, or with such a small or poor quality image as to make the image (bike or lighthouse) unrecognizable. Neither shall credit be taken for post-processed entries. Upon obtaining web access, each picture must be posted in this thread individually, titled with the lighthouse name, 2013 date taken, and credit for the photographer, with an incremented tally number for each of his/her photos. Example: Key West Lighthouse, 3/17/2013, by cberry, contest #12. Credit may be taken twice for pictures of the same lighthouse with and without full scaffolding, as would be the case during significant maintenance or painting, if both configurations occur within the contest year. Husband and wife teams would be treated as one entry. Pictures by one individual who owns and photographs more than one of his bikes at the same lighthouse should identify them as: contest #12A, #12B, #12C, etc., thereby keeping his contest standing current and uninflated.

For those who are artists and would like to modify their images, Knock yourself out. Identify such images as: art #12, to key it with the unmodified contest image so that we can all see and appreciate the changes.

There will be no ÔÇ£WinnersÔÇØ or ÔÇ£LosersÔÇØ, just participants. Your contest number will be an indicator of how much fun you had while traveling our state. Knowing of my interest in proposing this contest, my wife gave me 2 books and a map of the lighthouses for Christmas. Very interesting reading. Turns out, there are roughly 30 lighthouses in the state, but several of them are off shore and unlikely to meet contest guidelines.

I hope I made myself clear, but, if not, IÔÇÖm sure you will help ÔÇÿfixÔÇÖ me.

GivÔÇÖer, eh?
    Chuck Berry
    2005 R1200RT, 2009 G650GS,
    MOA #94523, IBA #27506 National Parks GOLD (still OLDEST at 69 in 2007)
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

New Year's Day Ride: Mt. Dora, Florida

What a beautiful day...temps in the mid 70's, light winds and blue skies. Round trip from the SpaceCoast to Mt. Dora was about 200 miles. The objective: Mt. Dora Lighthouse, the only inland freshwater lighthouse in Florida. The 35 foot lighthouse was dedicated on March 25, 1988, and is built of bricks covered with stucco.

According to my WAAS enabled GPS the highest altitude I observed while cruising the town of Mt. Dora was 166 feet. "...only in Florida!..."

Mt. Dora, Florida Lighthouse, 1/1/2013, by cberry, contest #1
    84134001[1].jpg
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Space Coast BMW Club ride 1/12/13

From I 95 and US 192 in Melbourne, FL, we rode to Marsh Landing in Fellsmere for breakfast before striking out for the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse. A perfect day for a ride. The SPOT track is here temporarily http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...papvqLrfmlJq65 There were 4 of us who made it to the lighthouse and I had the only camera, so I took the pictures for the others to post if they choose.

Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, 1/12/13, by cberry, contest # 2
    84652589[1].jpg

This lighthouse was placed in service in 1860, and stands 105 feet tall, with the light being 146 feet above sea level and visible 25 miles at sea.
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

January 17/18 Lighthouse hunt

Here on the Space Coast the day dawned bright and beautiful, but the weather report for the West
    Coast was for a cold front to come through in the afternoon and for much colder temps on the 18th. Perfect weather for a short ride. I'd planned to ride to St. Petersburg and spend the night there, picturing several lighthouses along the way. I per-purchased a Hotwire room for a good price.

Out of the chute I changed the plan to include Sanibel Light as the first objective. Rechecking times, distances, and time remaining it became quite evident that I was never going to make it that way. Next change was to reroute via Fellsmere to Bradenton by the gps 376's shortest route. It was a great ride through towns and rural areas that I had never traveled! Met some great people over an extended lunch at the Bradenton Yacht Club and then continued north to my reserved room in ST. Pete. The weather was fairly nasty and there was a possibility that the Skyway Bridge across Tampa Bay might be closed due to wind gusts. That didn't happen, and I didn't get any lighthouse pictures either!

There were several lighthouses on my list for the next day (1/18) which would take me south on the West Coast and then home via Lake Okeechobee. The early morning temp started out at 41 degrees, so for this wimp heated gear was in order. I got a couple of lighthouses before heading across the Skyway Bridge again and then got into God-Awful traffic from the bridge all the way down to Port Boca Grande. Blew my planned schedule all to Hell! The first contest lighthouse of the day was Egmont Key Lighthouse. Spanish explorers visited this area in the early 1500's and the first lighthouse was erected in 1848, only to get hit by a hurricane. A replacement was built in 1858 for $16,000 and it still stands today.

Egmont Key Lighthouse, 1/18/2013, by cberry, contest #3
    85089116.jpg

Since I believe I'm limited to one picture per post, this will take awhile.
    It's not just my contest guys...
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Here's another pic of Egmont Light. It's located on a key not far from the DeSoto State Park, south of St. Petersburg.

Egmont Lighthouse, 1/18/13, by cberry, contest # 3A
    85002010.jpg
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Cool great Idea Chuck, can you help here?

I have done a few, and think they are a great find. Best so far was the one on the panhandle. Civil War battle there. Dog gone, getting so Old, cant remember the name. Maybe you can help> St. Something, somewhere.

11 15 11cajun 054.jpg

Der Kaptain from Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by cberry View Post
    or with such a small or poor quality image as to make the image (bike or lighthouse) unrecognizable.
    The lighthouse in post 4 and 5 is unrecognizable
    In post 5 you can't see the lighthouse, and post 4 you can't tell if it's a light house or a rural water tower.
    Just yanking your chain
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Keep it fun and find the light. SINCE some are too small or not seen

Maybe a "picture of the LIGHT" from a book or booklet or from the head Light finder, with a close spot and the BMeemer picture with a discription of as "close as you could get" and still have a interesting photo"

enough said, and why is there a lighthouse in Mt DORA?

Keep it fun and find the light

I like it! There are no winners in this contest, except those who participate; and no losers, except those who who don't. Its about touring the state and having a goal, or reason, for the ride.

Turns out, there are roughly 30 lighthouses in the state, but several of them are off shore and unlikely to meet contest guidelines.
    Good question about Mount Dora light. Its not an "Official" lighthouse, but is listed in McCarthy's book. I think it's there to draw tourists rather than serve as an aid to navigation. It got me there and I had a delicious meal at a nearby restaurant.

For GeneT, here's one of those 'tower' lighthouses...How about adding some South Florida lights?

Gasparilla Lighthouse, 1/18/2013, by cberry, contest # 4
    85002050.jpg
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Hillsboro Inlet

It appears BMWOofA website does not like tiff files, I will work on this but what I may up load does not show any motorcycles.
    Gene T

Mt Dora and Me, Light house and the light

When I whent there after Berry showed a picture, I went about 2 hrs from Holiday Travel Park and Campground via the back roads. Diverted to a great "Fish Camp'.
    got to MT DORA, found the "light" was told by a local that the light is maintained by the coast guard at taxpayer expense for this "LAKE"

so, here is the pcture
    MT Dora and ME.jpg

OH, the person in the helmet is Der Kaptain

Kep 'em Coming

Well done Kaptain...Yes, it meets the criteria. Gene has good pointers.

Port Boca Grande Lighthouse, by cberry, 1/18/2013, contest # 5
    85002075.jpg

This pic is a stretch since only a portion of the m/c windshield is in the picture. It shows the lighthouse better than the other one I took from a distance which only shows the tip of the light, and not much of the house.

The history of the area includes rumors of pirates is the area circa 1822, one of whom was named Gaspar, from which the area received its name of Gasparilla Island. The lighthouse went into service in 1890 and was threatened by erosion in the 1950s and 1960s. A massive conservation effort has managed to save the lighthouse from the sea.McCarthy's book, Florida Lighthouses, has an excellent history of this and all the other lighthouses. I highly recommend it to those interested in pursuing this thread.
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

a easy Picture to HELP find the subject

I hope this can be of help..
    FLA light house.jpg

I notice that there are a few missing, But it looks good

Tower Type Light Houses

Quote Originally Posted by cberry View Post
    I like it! There are no winners in this contest, except those who participate; and no losers, except those who who don't. Its about touring the state and having a goal, or reason, for the ride.

Good question about Mount Dora light. Its not an "Official" lighthouse, but is listed in McCarthy's book. I think it's there to draw tourists rather than serve as an aid to navigation. It got me there and I had a delicious meal at a nearby restaurant.

For GeneT, here's one of those 'tower' lighthouses...How about adding some South Florida lights?

Gasparilla Lighthouse, 1/18/2013, by cberry, contest # 4
    85002050.jpg
    Hi Chuck,

This is not the tower type of light I was referring to, for instance Alligator Reef, Sombero Key, and others which are surrounded by water. Alligator
    for instance sits in 20' of water, just adjacent to a drop off outside the reef to 125'. These and others are simply metal towers with open beams and a timed flashing light, each one different timing for identification.

My getting back out to re-photograph the lighthouses on my bike as you suggest sounds good, however some days it is simply an effort just to get up. So with said now that you have me occupied with this and to remain in line with your criteria and not make waves, I believe I shall post the rest of my lighthouse shots in the photography thread. However I don't want you to feel I am trying to steal or hi-jack your thread. So not to conflict, I could call it Nautical or Seascapes. Your thoughts on this are welcome.
    Gene T

Lighthouse, Anastasia

Here is a picture of the northeren light near St Augustine. Not a good shot but meets the needs. Anastastia Island

Great trip up from Daytone on A1A. walked on the Flats near mantanza state park, also rip off breakfast at tourist trap.
    DSC00698.jpg

By the way, which is stright, the flag pole or the lighthouse?