• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Luggage Carrier

On The Road Again
For those of you that are going to install the Carrier, one of the first steps is to remove the BMW badge carrier. The instructions have you prying it off with a screw driver.
I found that it is much easier to remove the passenger handle rail, four screws, and press the badge off from the back side. No scratches from the screw driver.

For those of you that are going to install the Carrier, one of the first steps is to remove the BMW badge carrier. The instructions have you prying it off with a screw driver.
I found that it is much easier to remove the passenger handle rail, four screws, and press the badge off from the back side. No scratches from the screw driver.

I have not heard if there is a carrying capacity on the luggage rack, is there? I have ordered mine and I have ideas and I am interested if I will be able to carry my work equipment. The other question what is the material the rack is made of?

The Rider's manual, page 52, seems to indicate 20 lb. for the rack, and 11 lb. if the top case is fitted.
The rack is made out of a special plastic.
I have fitted the BMW soft tail bag.

The Rider's manual, page 52, seems to indicate 20 lb. for the rack, and 11 lb. if the top case is fitted.
The rack is made out of a special plastic.
I have fitted the BMW soft tail bag.

Sorry from what I gather is that you can carry about 11 pounds in the top box. This really does not sound like much. I am sure there is some tolerance of a few percentage points. I am glad I can fit a case of beer under the seat.

Now adding to this if you have a passenger and they use the top box as a back rest, how much pressure will be permitable. I realize that the push of his/her back will cause a downward force. Who is math junky that can figure this one out. Has anyone had a passenger on the back with the experience. How much did your passenger weigh and how much pressure would he/she apply.

Just get some of that plastigage you use to measure bearing clearance and tape a piece of that on to the backrest pad, then have the passenger mount up and go for a ride, then afterwards you measure how wide the plastigage is to determine how much force was applied to the backrest.

mdmp_0809_25_z+engine_rebuild+package_measurements.jpg

Yes honey, I know the new backrest looks like a kitchen scale. I'm doing a little research, just "go with it", OK??
bon-appetit-digital-kitchen-scale-d-20121227180608103~225533.jpg

Bought a LEATHERMAN, Top bag when they did the seat on my wife's 650gt( lowered it) snaps over the rear seat. Really didn't like the looks of the factory case sticking off the rear of the bike. Kinda figure on a trip it will be one up riding with under seat storage full, top case for those extras that always seem to go

GUYS
I stand corrected it is a SADDLEMAN Pillion 1550 bag I bought for the c650gt retails for about $165
Think I got it for $120
Funny it fits my 1600 also

Back