• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Gerbing Customer Support = Black Hole

B

BillMoto

I'd heard that Gerbing had good customer service, so I'm especially surprised and frustrated with my current experience with them. I had a controller that died on me. I thought it might be under warranty, so I emailed them to inquire. No response. Emailed again and still no response. So I called them and after waiting on hold for quite a while, I spoke with someone who was helpful. She verified my controller was under warranty and gave me an RMA number. I mentioned the unanswered emails and she apologized and said they are busy. (Maybe less busy taking calls if they answered email?)

Anyway, I mailed the controller to Olympia the next day (from Seattle). That was over a month ago and I've heard nothing from them. I was really expecting them to drop a replacement unit in the mail to me right away, especially given that it's winter riding season. I've recently sent a couple more emails and even left voice messages to inquire about the status (all unanswered). This morning I tried calling again and have been listening to hold music for 25 min and getting ready to hang up.

Meanwhile - still unable to to ride to work on those chilly mornings. Any similar experiences or suggestions on how to get a response from them??

Annoying predicament. You're in Seattle - did you buy it from Ride West? I know that Gerbing has been slammed with orders it's been unable to keep up with which might explain their silence. Took them a while to get a plant here in the states up and running. I bought a liner from RW recently and it took a time to come in - a month or so. Makes me think there are benefits going through dealers.

I'd heard that Gerbing had good customer service, so I'm especially surprised and frustrated with my current experience with them. I had a controller that died on me. I thought it might be under warranty, so I emailed them to inquire. No response. Emailed again and still no response. So I called them and after waiting on hold for quite a while, I spoke with someone who was helpful. She verified my controller was under warranty and gave me an RMA number. I mentioned the unanswered emails and she apologized and said they are busy. (Maybe less busy taking calls if they answered email?)

Anyway, I mailed the controller to Olympia the next day (from Seattle). That was over a month ago and I've heard nothing from them. I was really expecting them to drop a replacement unit in the mail to me right away, especially given that it's winter riding season. I've recently sent a couple more emails and even left voice messages to inquire about the status (all unanswered). This morning I tried calling again and have been listening to hold music for 25 min and getting ready to hang up.

Meanwhile - still unable to to ride to work on those chilly mornings. Any similar experiences or suggestions on how to get a response from them??

Check out the thread "Gerbing Jacket or Liner" in this Gear forum and start with post #26. You won't have to scroll down very far You will find you are far from alone in your frustration with Gerbing.

I also emailed about a broken controller ................

Told that it was out of warranty and could not be fixed unless it was just a defective plug.

I email back asking how to return it.

Have never heard back from them.

I am also very dissapointed in there customer service. Will consider other brands for the next purchase.

Jason

I applied for the job

Gerbings posted that they needed someone in the NC plant; so I submitted my application;

I am interested in a marketing position. If you will supply me with an email, I will send you a copy of my resume. I can promise you that I will return all emails and phone calls; something you cannot say about your current team. Jerry Dockery 910-262-2843

They're having huge communication issues

I finally got in touch with Gerbing's new CEO, Tom Nolan. He replied that, apparently, when they recently bought the compagny, they inherited major issues with their communication systems, emails, telephones... What he calls ?½Bad legacy technology issues.?? That seems to me like a lot of problems when nothing, and I mean, nothing works for weeks, but maybe. Mr Nolan says that they're investing a lot of money to fix the issues, hire people and what not. I suggested they also put a big warning on their Web page.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and monitor how things will improve in the near future.

I finally got in touch with Gerbing's new CEO, Tom Nolan. He replied that, apparently, when they recently bought the compagny, they inherited major issues with their communication systems, emails, telephones... What he calls ?½Bad legacy technology issues.?? That seems to me like a lot of problems when nothing, and I mean, nothing works for weeks, but maybe. Mr Nolan says that they're investing a lot of money to fix the issues, hire people and what not. I suggested they also put a big warning on their Web page.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and monitor how things will improve in the near future.

Here's more information about the current changes:

http://gerbing.com/news/recentNews.php

If you didn't purchase from a local dealer, and have a warranty or order question, please email bbreeding@gerbing.com
With all the changes occurring coupled with the holiday season, phone lines and email have been incredible. Tom is working hard to restructure and add staff to handle the overwhelming demand for product.

We're excited about the changes, and look forward to a new/improved Gerbings..

So I called them and after waiting on hold for quite a while, I spoke with someone who was helpful. She verified my controller was under warranty and gave me an RMA number. I mentioned the unanswered emails and she apologized and said they are busy.
Anyway, I mailed the controller to Olympia
next day

Bill:
If the controller is not repairable, they are probably waiting for the next shipment, which is due in mid-January. When you're calling, I'd recommend calling 360.357.1110 X317 or emailing Lynda@gerbing.com. She's in WA not NC.

Here's more information about the current changes:

http://gerbing.com/news/recentNews.php

If you didn't purchase from a local dealer, and have a warranty or order question, please email bbreeding@gerbing.com
With all the changes occurring coupled with the holiday season, phone lines and email have been incredible. Tom is working hard to restructure and add staff to handle the overwhelming demand for product.

We're excited about the changes, and look forward to a new/improved Gerbings..

Don't get too excited yet!

I have had nothing but greif with Gerbings. Poor product, terrible communications. Was given Brandon Breedings email and phone number by Tom Nolan. After two emails (unanswered) and two Phone calls unanswered. I gave up. Product burned up on first use. (overheated on lowest setting). I am on my second Jacket and third controller in ten weeks. This process took ten weeks even after several promises by Tom Nolan to replace. B.Breeding did not follow up or return my calls or email. Was promised overnight replacement after two failed promises to replace. Was sent ground and that took another week.

They are too busy fulfilling a government contract and not servicing their individual customers.

I hope Gerbings gets their act together again and before this current issue permanently wrecks the brand that is so well known to touring riders.

In the meantime, I'd suggest WarmNsafe gear and controllers. There are others also, of course.

Last edited:
I recently replaced my gerbings with powerlet.
The powerlet is very well made, as was my original gerbings.

BMWMOA Product Evaluations

Lets hope your and the dismal experience of others are brought up the next time the MOA Owner's News publishes a Gerbings Product Evaluation.

Past customer service should be part of those.

That would at least make those Product Evaluations useful to some extent.

As for a controller failing, properly designed electronics are extremely reliable. Did the Product Evaluations department check to see if the controller is short circuit and reverse polarity protected...I doubt it. Did they dip it in water for 30 minutes? You need to start with people that have technical knowledge if they are going to do evaluations.

I recently replaced my gerbings with powerlet.
The powerlet is very well made, as was my original gerbings.

In case you are wondering, the powerlet website says "designed and tested in the US".
The liner tag says made in China.

I hope Gerbings comes out of this. I would rather support a US manufacturer.

Funny how when things started being made in China, retail prices did not reflect that. Greedy North American business!

A $150 pair of Nikes actually costs about $2.50 at the source.

Would it be reasonable to expect a $315 jacket/controller combo to include the two AAA batteries required by the wireless controller?

Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions. At least it's good to know I'm not alone. Yesterday - in what will likely be my last Gerbing purchase, I picked up the basic on/off switch to at least get me through this winter before deciding on another option. Happy riding everyone!

Would it be reasonable to expect a $315 jacket/controller combo to include the two AAA batteries required by the wireless controller?

To answer your question, you'd think, but that extra $1 would cut into their profits and they'd have to live frugally. :laugh

Wow, they are up to wireless controllers now. But then, my cell phone is 8 years old. I prefer lower tech stuff...it usually works when you really need it to. For example, an on-off switch instead of a controller, but I do have the latter that is now well over 10 years old and still working.

Back