• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member with an oil change question...

If you know for a fact it's just a tad just forget about it.

My Clymers said 4 quarts at an oil change with filter. I got lazy and just poured in four quarts instead of pouring in three and being more careful with the fourth. Yeah, I know. :nono So I'm guessing it's just a tad..

If it's in the circle, just leave it. If it's over you can probably snake a tube down along a cam chain if you remove a valve cover. I'd try the right side, and put the bike on the side stand. Or just wear a glove and try to let some out the drain plug.

A few different breather systems were used on the 1100 motors and some may have components that you could use for this, but I don't think any of them are easy enough to access that its a good solution.

I'll just drain it and pour it back in. I'll use my wife's Dutch oven from the kitchen so I can be sure it is clean. ;)

Well then I guess we've just defined "tad". Even ran half a can of Seafoam through it before I drained the crankcase, then got the motor nice and warm. Should have been pretty well drained. Should be okay! Thanks for the info.

First use of the forum since becoming a member! :thumb

John

I'm currently in this situation. I put in the amount recommended at a full change and the level is a tad high. What's the best way to get a little bit out? Were it a car I'd slide a thin hose down the dipstick tube into the pan and suck it out with a syringe. No dipstick tube on these babies. The only thing I can think of is loosening the bolt and letting some oil drain out around it, then starting it again. Shouldn't be hard, just messy.

Have you started the engine yet? When you put in "the amount recommended", did you fill the new oil filter with oil? If you didn't, then there is extra oil in the pan that has to get over to the filter, so the level will drop. When I do my fill, I add 3.5 liters and hold the half liter for adding later. I generally add about 1/2 to 3/4 of a liter during the 6,000 mile oil cycle - bike has 104k.

Back