• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

bas***d relative of BMW makes the news!

Back in the early 1990 I was on my way to work. I was living in glen wood springs. We had snow the night before with about a foot of snow. When I saw a guy on his bike with a side car waiting to turn onto main street. It Was quite a sight.

Snowed a decent amount here over Xmas. This was as close to getting outside as my bike got...

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

Gotta give the hack guy credit though, looked like fun!

BRP in the snow

When I was at ASU in Boone, NC, we loved it when they closed the Blue Ridge Pky for snow; it made for some great motorcycle riding.

So, what is bas***d supposed to mean??? I tried to fill in all the letters I could think of and could not come up with a word in need of censorship...???

bastard "A child whose birth lacks legal legitimacy" often used to describe Ural's relationship to BMW. Probably didn't need hide it from the censors, but this is such a polite forum :laugh

:banghead:banghead And I could not figure that out. Just shows what a through and through polite guy I am....:wave

Well, the first ones they made were just one-wheel drive at the start of WWII, then they captured the plant that produced the two-wheel drive BMW R75, and then they were 2 wheel drive. By that time, the Germans were going to just produce the Zundapp 750, as it was considered a superior machine, but the military went with the VW Kubelwagen, much like our army went with the Jeep.

The K??belwagen did not directly succeed the motorcycles. It came much later. The first German "Jeep" was a DKW, the "Munga", with a 2-stroke 3-cylinder engine.

Attachments

• DKW Munga.jpg
    DKW Munga.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 116
The DKW Munga was a 50's vehicle - I'm referring to WWII. You might be thinking of the VW "Thing" which was a later, updated version of the Kubelwagen (Schwimmwagen ws the amphibious version). Unless you can enlighten me...

Interesting that the very first prototype for the American "Jeep" had the soldier laying down on his stomach whilst driving, such that he could sneak up on enemies in tall grass and shoot. This version was nixed for poor driver visibility.

This, I would not have known had I not worked for Jeep and Dodge Truck Engineering in the past.

Back