• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pacific Northwest Ferry travel... routes/access; points of interest

It was about 15 years ago, my last HRNP visit on a CLEAR day. Been there since but the weather was closed in and views were not good. The bear was indeed there on the trail above the visitor center en route to ridge. LOTS of deer too, all over the place, even in parking lot. The Ranger was present on the trail that day, warning of bear issues and the one present:). Randy

Never meant to suggest that you didn't see a bear. I'm just saying that the OP will most likely not see one. Or maybe my presence frightens them off. I've been to Yellowstone/Grand Teton twice and have yet to see a bear there. Packed in to Enchanted Valley in ONP, a place where the rangers are adamant about bear wire use, and didn't see a bear. But as you mention, the deer are omnipresent. It's kinda weird to get out of your tent in the middle of the night to relieve yourself and have a deer come up to within a few feet, waiting for you to finish.

One of the best things about Olympic is that it is not so overrun with tourists like some other parks.

Oh, yeah, if the OP is camping, there is a nice county campground with showers out at Dungeness Spit. Not far to the west of Port Angeles. http://www.clallam.net/Parks/Dungeness.html#CampInfo

Are customs much trouble, if your legal.... on the ferry crossing to/from ole' Canada in that region? .:ca....:usa

Never see'em either;

I live outside YosemiteNP and SequoiaNP and rarely see the bears, almost never in Yosemite. They are there alright, they say! Mammoth Lakes,CA, not so far from YosemiteNP to the South has sooooo many bears, its rediculous. They hire a full time bear guy to control bears in that city. My time in NW Washington was all so memorable and very nice times. I go back soon enough, riding again:). IF ya'll camp in the far NW, have GOOD gear as you will likely need it sooner or later. Its very green/wet up there at times. KOAs are around and offer pretty good camping in Port AngelesWA. and N.VictoriaBC/Canada. Man, do they have slugs/snails the size of monsters up there in BC Coastal areas! I camped at that VictoriaBC KOA and nightfall, these things came alive:). Not harmful, but very wierd to see if never seen'em before. Randy

More ferry "change" will be necessary...

Those things run everywhere in that region....and deliver you to some outstanding areas!

The plan is set....

....and ferry reservations made; lodging also. Decided to go out and tour early July, before the "big show" at Salem. Victoria BC, WA & OR
mountains & coastal... the pacific northwest National Park Tour I guess. Thank you all for the info & recommendations........:thumb

"travel'in" john

Ferries/Biker friendly:)

All the NW ferries are also biker friendly. You get on first/off first. Neat! Most of'em anyhow. The longer ferries have tie downs available, suggest using them on some days for the longer crossings. Most days are not rough out there. Long Knives and guns, bad idea for crossing border. Other hot items are coolers with food items, they will check it and keep most packaged meats, or check em close. Children(teens and younger) with no Passports, better have their Birth Cert. with ya!!! Prove they your kid's:). They ask this TOO! Been their done that with my kid on bike into Canada. Not much else. Ferries serve lunch and beer and other gifts. Save your appetite for better on land:), or carry a SubWay sandwich from town:). Those two hour ferries are nice with some food along. Good cruising. Randy

Back