• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Locate Old Post - Brown Sidestand Install (Improved)

barron_williams

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
In the last year or so, there was a reply to a post showing in improved method of installing a Brown side stand.

The reply included at least one picture and I think the featured bike was an R100RS.

The improvement was to add a piece of flat bar stock to that the Brown side stand did not use the exhaust clamp as an attachment point.

I've been through the search feature on three different occasions over the last few days and cannot find this post.

Does anyone else happen to better at finding stuff; or, could the smart fellow who came up with the improved install re post the pictures?

Cheers, Barron

Nope! (But thanks for looking.)

That post shows the stock install which uses the exhaust clamp as a primary mount point. The reply I am thinking about had (as best as I can remember) a really elegant solution that extended the mounting plate, using a flat bar, up to the front motor mount, to keep pressure off the exhaust clamp.

I think they bike was an RS because I seem to remember fairing lowers in the picture.

Searches I tried were "Brown" (seemed logical) and "exhaust clamp". No luck.

Barron

Brown Sidestand Improvement

I know the thread you are looking for because I copied it.

Mine improvement is not as nice as the origional but it works.

Hope the picture show up!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 451
And the front mount. Takes the stress off the clamp around the exhaust pipe and puts it on the front engine mount bolt.

Attachments

• Modified Brown 2.jpg
    Modified Brown 2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 447
"Takes the stress off the clamp around the exhaust pipe and puts it on the front engine mount bolt."

These modifications are unnecessary and a waste of time to create more complexity where the original design is simple and sufficient.

So long as the motormount bolt is tight there is no "stress" on the exhaust pipe whatsoever
The forward projection of the original design to the exhaust pipe clamp only acts like a lock washer on steroids for the motor mount bolt attachment
All significant "stress" of leaning onto the stand is taken by the motormount bolt and the exhaust clamp only prevents the fixture from rotating
on the motormount bolt - very little "stress"

The only rational reason to do something like this modification is where there is a non-standard exhaust on the bike and the pipe is not there to clamp to

Much better modification if you think you need it is to use a better grade of motormount bolt - I have seen several Brown type stands snap off the
motormount bolt

I disagree! after breaking the left exhaust clamp twice.

I put the bracket assembly on the modified Brown Side Stand and it no longer stresses the hanger bracket.

I also disagree with the fact that the motor mount can be tightened enough to prevent rotating. I have made this modification on 3 bikes. On the first two (both moto-shock) bikes I did not even use the exhaust clamp, just let the extension take care of the stand. On the last modification (my Motorsport) I put the exhaust clamp back on, not to support the stand, but to support the exhaust system. I too have seen these clamps break because of the leverage of the stand putting stress on the clamp. After all, it is a lever about 14 inches long to the fulcrum (engine bolt), then about 2 to 3 inches to the other end of the lever. This would multiply the stress a lot even if the engine mount bolt is tight.

Wayne

I have broken the left side exhaust clamp once

I disagree! after breaking the left exhaust clamp twice.

I put the bracket assembly on the modified Brown Side Stand and it no longer stresses the hanger bracket.

I agree that there must be some additional pressure on the clamp due to the stand. I don't have 500,000 plus miles on my 1977, holy cow, just a bit over 100,000. I am VERY careful when I use the brown stand. I always look to see that that the stand is levered forward, then I watch it make contact with the ground as I begin to dis-mount the bike. My point is I don't just "drop" the weight of the bike onto the stand thus making more stress than needed. The other reason I do that "process" of carefully making sure the stand is down by looking at it is when I am tired at the end of a day of riding I do not want to make the mistake of leaning the bike over only to realize I have forgotten to put down the stand! :nono
Regards,
Kurt

Adding the modification sounds like a good idea to me.

What bar stock should be used?
........not too big, thick & heavy
........not to small, thin & light
........aluminum?

:ear

I used a bracket used to stiffen the battery box of a power wheelchair. It was the perfect length, about one inch wide and about one eight of an inch thick, and chromed so it would not rust. I would guess aluminum would work too, the bar does not flex, only adds a fixed mounting point and the bolts do not support the engine or anything, thus if they loosen a bit, no problem. All hardware came from Sears, easy to get anywhere.

Wayne

Last edited:
I got a great idea from a fellow Airhead on how to afix the Browns to my RS without wrecking the header pipe hanger. Get these two parts from Motobins.
95633.jpg
95631.jpg

These two parts make a clamp that fits perfectly around the frame. You just need a proper length nut and bolt to attach the front mount hole of the Browns side stand and the header pipe hanger together to the clamp.

This set up supports everything from the frame the way it should and does not stress the pipe hanger.

I got a great idea from a fellow Airhead on how to afix the Browns to my RS without wrecking the header pipe hanger. Get these two parts from Motobins.
View attachment 41106
View attachment 41107

These two parts make a clamp that fits perfectly around the frame. You just need a proper length nut and bolt to attach the front mount hole of the Browns side stand and the header pipe hanger together to the clamp.

This set up supports everything from the frame the way it should and does not stress the pipe hanger.

Those look like the clamps from a BMW cylinder guard bar mount, right?

Clean look front mount for Browns sidestand on '82 R100RS

Those look like the clamps from a BMW cylinder guard bar mount, right?

Good eye!
I ran the BMW part number (46 71 2 302 080) for the lower half through the advanced part find on the MaxBMW fiche and yeah, it is part of the clamp for the "safety bar" on a LOT of models.

I like this mount idea for 4 reasons:
- Works a treat to mount the front hole of the Browns stand in a very solid fashion.
- Has a clean look using OEM parts meant to clamp onto our bike's frames.
- Relatively inexpensive bolt on solution.
- No cutting, filing or drilling required. It just fits.

Couple of photos here if interested:
http://s447.photobucket.com/user/Arsegon/library/MOA%20Uploads/Browns%20sidestand%20mounting%20bracket

Last edited:
I like it too. It was a bear drilling the extra hole when all you have is a hand drill and a bunch of dull drills. That is what I was looking for when I modified mine, but never though of those clamps. Good idea, thanks.

Oh, wonder if it would work on a GS, I'm looking at a 95 GS at Gateway BMW. Looks very clean, would look better in my garage.

Wayne

Can't see why it wouldn't fit. MaxBMW parts fiche says it fits the 90 to 95 R100 GS PD safety bar. Those frames are all the same diameter methinks.

Back