Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank Bag

Tank Bag

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas, I just bought a new 2013 GS 1200 Adventure and I had most of the farkles that I wanted added on when I bought it from Gateway BMW, the only thing I didnt get was a good tank bag Im looking for one I can use for extensive traveling on long trips! I would like to hear some pros and cons of your tank bags, make, size, durability, pictures, and what not so I can decide on what to get thanks and again I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
    Hello everyone and Merry Christmas, I just bought a new 2013 GS 1200 Adventure and I had most of the farkles that I wanted added on when I bought it from Gateway BMW, the only thing I didnt get was a good tank bag Im looking for one I can use for extensive traveling on long trips! I would like to hear some pros and cons of your tank bags, make, size, durability, pictures, and what not so I can decide on what to get thanks and again I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!
    Merry Christmas back at you.

Check out the Wolfman line of tank bags. I never have heard anything bad about their tank bags. Ever. They have other things that a GS rider might find a need for.

Have a safe riding year for 2013.

-Lynn
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Cool

I've got a Wolfman tank bag that I bought to use on my Klr.....when I bought the Beemer, I moved the Wolfman bag to it....lots of room and it fits great...quality product!

WolfMan

Plus 1 on the Wolf Man bags. They seem to be made for the Tall Slanted tanks of the Adventure bikes. I used the big one on a V-Strom for a turn to Alaska and back.
    Harold In Kansas
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel

On my bike I use the BMW tank bag, because it needs no cover to handle rain, it is waterproof. By the time you cover any other tank bag in a sudden downpour, your bag and its enclosures are soaked in another bag.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

My Wunderlich bag is a true friend!

For convenience and stability of attachment the BMW bags have no equal. I've had a number of their model-dedicated bags since an '86 K75.

My favourite though, is an old-school Eclipse Sportpack that I've used with my non-BMW bikes for over 20 years. Still going strong and when I need a mounting harness for another bike or a map window wears out, replacement parts are easily available.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Tank Bag

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    For convenience and stability of attachment the BMW bags have no equal. I've had a number of their model-dedicated bags since an '86 K75.

My favourite though, is an old-school Eclipse Sportpack that I've used with my non-BMW bikes for over 20 years. Still going strong and when I need a mounting harness for another bike or a map window wears out, replacement parts are easily available.
    Thanks Dave I will check into the BMW tank bags I sure they will have them for the GSA!

Tank Bag

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    On my bike I use the BMW tank bag, because it needs no cover to handle rain, it is waterproof. By the time you cover any other tank bag in a sudden downpour, your bag and its enclosures are soaked in another bag.
    Thanks Jordan I will check into the BMW Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    My Wunderlich bag is a true friend!

+1 on Wunderlich! I have their tank bag and tail bag and enjoy them both. I got a great deal on them used, but would seriously look at the Wolfman and BMW bags as well if I were shopping.

Smile BMW tank bag

BMW tank bags cost too much and the vinyl map holder only lasts about a yr.

That said. They work.

They are big and have no pockets. It turns out that is a great design because they hold everything and everything is easy to find.

They detach easily and stay attached.

They are waterproof.

I have a 99 RT and have used the bag every day and find that I rarely use the saddlebags because I can carry everything in the tank bag.

On the whole they are worth the money.

BMW bags are good, but...

True on the GS map case. Mine has a crack in the map section and has yellowed from the sun. Anyone know a shop that can replace the window in these bags?
    2009 R1200GS
    MOA#188597

Mine, three years old is still good, but when/if it yellows it comes off as never used. I use a Garmin Zumo 660 to go anywhere and everywhere. I have a had it on the bike since I have the bike.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Tank Bags

I purchased a BMW tank bag for my K1300S and have no issues with it (including map pocket). I have found it to be exceptional and rarely remove it other than for track days and fill ups (which is done quite easily).

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    GS Tankbags MUST be waterproof - Wolfman bags are excellent and waterproof as advertised.