• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

24K miles of twisties and dropped the RT in 7-11 Parking Lot

I like to everything to be symmetrical, meaning, I dropped my GSA on both sides to make the dented and scratched panniers look the same. ;)

I understand there's a program out there specializing in parking lot safety.

Curiously, they recommend stopping the motor with the handlebar kill switch. Seems a really positive clue that the sidestand is properly down if the motor dies when using that method instead. Methinks that's a little heavier construction switch, too, i.e. actually designed for more frequent use.

Whew, I was thinking for a while there that I was the only one to do that "drop" thing. I had my spanking new bile for all of three-four days and did the exact same thing, except I did it in the parking lot of the BMW dealership where I bought the thing. It was pretty impressive, two of the sales guys ran out to help me pick it up. One of them referred to the damaged left pannier as character lines...

I wonder how many people drop their bike at a dealership. I know I have. At least it was at night:)

Best time to drop your bike at the dealer is on a Saturday afternoon with lots of fellow riders around to appreciate your riding abilities... and help pick the bike up. This is also convenient as when you find that you've popped a rivet or three on your system cases the replacement parts and necessary tools are only a few steps away. DAMHIK! :deal

OMG Mike!

24 responses in under 4 days, this has to be some kind of record, or,
it's just that the weather is too cold out for us to be putting some miles on
our ladies!

Have an 1150RT and wouldn't you know it, wearing my Teva's in the garage, and while
backing her out to get some sun on her, and oooops! A leaf slip!

The worst part was that, I had to get out quickly bc I was also just
wearing shorts, and my leg would have been all scraped up
if she landed on my bear leg.

Worser is that I had to quickly slip off my sandals, and kick on some boots
to get the traction I needed to get under her, and right her up to look at
the damage. Thank god for engine guards!

I always visually check that my kickstand is fully deployed and your
incident wouldn't catch me off guard!

Happy New Year All!

Jim

I'm a member in um.... Good standing?

:brow
I have an old K100, which not long after I bought it, I spent mucho dinero on having painted.... Yep, you got it.
Dropped it late one night soon afterwards, after a long, cold (ish) ride. :cry

Bought a 2002 K1200 somewhat recently. On a distance ride with some buddies, we pulled up to a stop amid some confusion over our direction of travel. Lo & behold, I'd stopped pretty directly, not having shifted down to first. Upon take-off, the bike made a gallant effort at launching itself in 4th gear- then gave up rather abruptly, and yes, fell over on its side. Argh.

Also, in the realm of dropping a big bike in front of many people - I saw a couple pull up to register for the Bloomsburg, PA MOA rally a couple years ago, and the gentleman dropped his bike in front of the registration tent!

Me too

In the gravel driveway, front tire bumped a larger rock while in a slow turn= low side. Picked up the RT and got back on, only to drop it again on the same @#$$ rock... :banghead

Had the RT-P guards on around the bags so I didn't do any damage, thankfully.

Drop

I wonder how many people drop their bike at a dealership. I know I have. At least it was at night:)

Not quite, but very close. I had just gotten a new Russell Day Long seat made and stopped by Sierra BMW in Sparks, NV to get my 18K service. They put it on the center stand facing slightly uphill. The seat was higher that I was used to and came very close to dropping it right there in front of everyone. Rode away sheepishly and never looked back.

24 responses in under 4 days, this has to be some kind of record, or,
it's just that the weather is too cold out for us to be putting some miles on
our ladies!

Have an 1150RT and wouldn't you know it, wearing my Teva's in the garage, and while
backing her out to get some sun on her, and oooops! A leaf slip!

The worst part was that, I had to get out quickly bc I was also just
wearing shorts, and my leg would have been all scraped up
if she landed on my bear leg.

Worser is that I had to quickly slip off my sandals, and kick on some boots
to get the traction I needed to get under her, and right her up to look at
the damage. Thank god for engine guards!

I always visually check that my kickstand is fully deployed and your
incident wouldn't catch me off guard!

Happy New Year All!

Jim

Strangely enough, I always look too, except that one time. Of course the real cause was me bragging to a fellow rider a couple of months ago how I'd never dropped it. He'll be really amused the next time we ride and he sees my side case.

"there's only two kinds of sailors, those who have been aground and those who haven't been aground yet."

View attachment 36393

If I were that chap, I would ease the vang then the traveler,drop sails run the anchorline up the main halyard shackle , and then kedge off with the lee shore with an anchor heave in to deep water and winch her back out to see mast first. Argh! :help

UJ:help:help:help:help

Guess I'm glad I got it done early in my career. It's been 6 months since I took the CHP course and got my license. 2000 miles on a Suzuki SV before moving on to my R1200RT which I've since put 5000 miles on (mostly commuting).

One groggy morning at 06:00 when I rolled in to work I decided to not get the side stand all the way forward before making my graceful dismount that left my bike on its side and me in the parking lot. At the time, I had a lot of excuses (one was excessive front brake drag combined with my ESA being stuck in the two up with luggage setting which combined to make it impossible for me to back the bike up while on it - hence the putting the side stand down to climb off, back into into a parking spot and put it up on the center stand). I was also fairly groggy that morning, so I had to add a routine of always checking the side stand before starting to get off to my habits.

My bike was mostly fine, other than the left mirror housing popping off and having a little crack (very inexpensive part to replace thankfully).

Now I have it firmly ingrained to not only push the side stand out, but to double check it afterwards with a little forward push of my foot and usually a visual check before letting the bike lean over at all. Now that I can walk the bike back while on it and it sits a half inch lower (thanks to fixing the aforementioned problems), I feel much more comfortable with the daily routine.

I still have my scratches on the cylinder head guard and left side case to remind me (though thankfully it was on my city lids and not the stock cover).

Is there a better place to drop it than the parking lot of the Deals Gap store on a Saturday afternoon? Only about 100 bikes in the lot, a slow day.

I had parked on a very slight downhill and accidentally left it in neutral. No problem. All is good.

Then my son asks if he can put his water bottle in my top box. The force of the one finger push on the latch rolled it forward and off the side stand.

I still remember the WTF look on his face.

Drop

Is there a better place to drop it than the parking lot of the Deals Gap store on a Saturday afternoon? Only about 100 bikes in the lot, a slow day.

I had parked on a very slight downhill and accidentally left it in neutral. No problem. All is good.

Then my son asks if he can put his water bottle in my top box. The force of the one finger push on the latch rolled it forward and off the side stand.

That would be the best place I've heard yet. I bet that got a few laughs. Sounds like something I'd do.

He was still standing there with his index finger pointed to where the top box button was a second earlier.

Of course I did what all good dads do, I blamed it on him. LOL.
He's such a good sport, he has ridden most of north america with me since he was 17.

Dropped

Well, we all have done it or will do it..

Came home after an awesome ride. My wife gets off the bike. I drive into the garage. I sit there on the bike talking to her for a moment. I put my left foot down and swing my right leg over the seat and walk away......................................

Well, I hear a boom. Or should I say a crash....Yes, I forgot to put down my kickstand down which I have done 1000's of times before. All it took was one mili second of not thinking and that was it! Luckily the only one around was my wife and she remarked "I think you forgot something" This is why I don't carry a gun on me and I leave it in my topcase. I had time to think about prison. So I had enough time (not to shoot her)..............

Moral of the story.....

I check my kickstand twice everytime I park my bike.

I leave my gun in the topcase..........

Ride on my friends!!!

Dennis Trovato

09 R1200RT

Personal misques

Already being a participant in said dropping event in this thread with hurt prides and then reading a recent reply, "if it has not happened to you it will".

I would like to enter this comment, after spending a lifetime in the marine industry, mainly pleasure yachts and commercial fishing boats I have heard many captains and or course owners make the statement " I have never run aground" Well one can assume this person has never untied his boat from the dock, or he is full of BS.

Already being a participant in said dropping event in this thread with hurt prides and then reading a recent reply, "if it has not happened to you it will".

I would like to enter this comment, after spending a lifetime in the marine industry, mainly pleasure yachts and commercial fishing boats I have heard many captains and or course owners make the statement " I have never run aground" Well one can assume this person has never untied his boat from the dock, or he is full of BS.

Guilty. On both vehicles ! Blade keels seem to attract sandbars for some reason. :thumb

Back