• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harmonizer

John,
I would have to disagree with him, at least as far as an R bike is concerned. He may be right on a Triumph or Ducatti about the idle part,
but I would strongly disagree about off-stop operation.

The butterfly is closed at idle (as the manual says you should be able to hear them "snap" shut when adjusting cables), and idle is regulated by the BBS.
Off stop, or partially open throttle is controlled by the cables, so yes the balanced setting is important. You want a balanced firing of each cylinder for a smooth running engine.
This is probably more noticeable on a boxer or opposed engine as it is with an upright twin, or even a V design such as the Ducatti. A boxer engine will run with much
less vibration if they are balanced. This is very noticeable in your rear view mirrors.
I will also add that I went from mid 40's to high 40's to low 50's on mpg. (if I ride sensibly, which I don't seem to be able to do most of the time)

Ken

John,
I would have to disagree with him, at least as far as an R bike is concerned. He may be right on a Triumph or Ducatti about the idle part,
but I would strongly disagree about off-stop operation.

The butterfly is closed at idle (as the manual says you should be able to hear them "snap" shut when adjusting cables), and idle is regulated by the BBS.
Off stop, or partially open throttle is controlled by the cables, so yes the balanced setting is important. You want a balanced firing of each cylinder for a smooth running engine.
This is probably more noticeable on a boxer or opposed engine as it is with an upright twin, or even a V design such as the Ducatti. A boxer engine will run with much
less vibration if they are balanced. This is very noticeable in your rear view mirrors.
I will also add that I went from mid 40's to high 40's to low 50's on mpg. (if I ride sensibly, which I don't seem to be able to do most of the time)

Ken

+1. I've got a Harmonizer (sold the Twinmax), and like it a lot.

With only two cylinders, what we're trying to do is get equal power and equal air-to-fuel ratio (AFR). Equal power translates to smoothness (or lack of buzz in the handlebars). Equal AFR translates to a different kind of smoothness, lack of stumbling and "surging". When AFRs are unequal one cylinder's power is less.

For air-balance, we have to use intake manifold vacuum as a proxy for how much air goes into the cylinder and then hope equal manifold vacuum and equal valve operation leads to equal air. If the left to right cam lobe height were different though, the valves would open unequal amounts. Still vacuum and valve gap are the best we have.

Since the Oilheads seem especially sensitive during low power (small throttle angle) cruising, I think balancing vacuum is a good idea although a friend starts there and then tweaks the right hand adjuster for minimum vibration.

So air is the first half of the AFR equation. There are errors of fueling on many bikes greater than the air part of the AFR equation. So how can we balance fueling. 1) Run Techron every so often so the imbalances don't get worse than they come from the factory. 2) Send them out for cleaning and balance testing to verify that the imbalance is small (I don't know the best number but I'd personally like to see less that 2% mismatch).

Because injector mismatch is a statistical problem (some bikes will have a perfect match from the factory and some will be at the mismatch limit, or over time worse), no amount of cleaning will ever get those with mismatched injectors to be balanced and the bike won't run well. Replacement should be considered an option.

The last thing that can be done to eliminate fueling mismatch is to richen the mixture. As you richen the mixture, you consume the small amounts of oxygen that would be left unburned at leaner (stock) AFRs. When you do that, you reach a point, somewhere in the 13s on AFR, that virtually all the oxygen is consumed. At that point, injector imbalance doesn't matter much. My experience is that at around 13.8:1 to 14.1:1 you get a good compromise between better balance and fuel economy.

When you have a parallel twin you have the possibility of an easier natural balance. Particularly with a balance shaft like the 800 has.
But the boxer's cylinders are far apart and controlled by two separate tbs. Which will run like crap unless they are in balance, air feed wise.
You don't do much of your biking at low rpms. You do most around 3 or 4 k. So it only makes sense that is where you should concentrate your balance effort.
The boxers idle like a truck, due to the fact of the separation of the pistons. The bike is trying to react in opposite directions to their movement.
If the air flow is right, it will smooth out at cruising speed.
Mine does.
Someone what doesn't work on BMWs isn't going to know too much about them.
dc

Air is important but some Oilheads will have injectors with enough mismatch that they can't be well balanced at any speed by air adjustment alone. They will vibrate and stumble more than those with a (luckily) well matched set.

Almost all Oilheads will be improved by addressing fuel injector imbalance. Unfortunately there is no Fuel-Harmonizer.

Thanks, everyone. I figured the guy didn't know what he was talking about. My first hint was when he told me you could buy mercury type balance tools, until he whipped out a thick catalog on his desk and found that you couldn't. I guess I will be trying to get a Harmonizer come June. Probably be selling the Twinmax, like everyone else.

Rest in Peace Mark / Grok

Old thread I know but it's probably the best place to post it. I must be one of the last ones to find out, but found out today that Grok the creator of the Harmonizer is no longer with us. He built and tried to support a fine product that I will enjoy for years to come.

Old thread I know but it's probably the best place to post it. I must be one of the last ones to find out, but found out today that Grok the creator of the Harmonizer is no longer with us. He built and tried to support a fine product that I will enjoy for years to come.

Well, that's too bad. Apparently he made a good product. For my own future reference, may I assume that he took the secrets of the Harmonizer with him, and that no more Harmonizers will be made?

No I think his sons or someone was carrying on the business. I'm not sure.
The information would be available on advrider. That was where he was and was selling and his account is still being used.
dc

Last edited:
Back