• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harmonizer

I was just going to start a new thread on this topic. But I will try this one. Again. The original question on this thread was 'Where do I buy one?'. I can't see on the three pages it has run to, that the question has yet to be answered. I see everyone loves the tool, I see they go in and out of production, I see people get them when they become available, but I what I don't see, is where people go to buy them. Yes, I checked the adventure rider forum that was posted here. Anyone checked that? There is about 50 lines of print, every spec for the tool, everything you would want to know about it, except... how to buy it. No email address, no regular address, no phone number. Nothing. I have spent a good deal of time "googling it" and still no address. For the sake of canceling out this whole discussion, anyone want to publish 'Groks' actual address, or some way to contact him? I might actually buy this tool if I can get that. Of course that probably depends heavily if Grok is in his garage whipping another batch up. Is there a tool of comparable quality that is made by an actual company, one that produces the item on a regular basis? It would be simpler. And yes, I already own a TwinMax.

Not too hard to find...................
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21222388#post21222388

you are going to have to wait, but trust me it's worth waiting for.
Best sync tool I have ever used hands down.

Thanks for the effort, but that posting does not give you his address, email, phone, etc. I assume you mean the 8th posting down from the top. Again, the guy gives out a lot of information, but not any way to contact him. Here's an idea: since a lot of people seem to own these devices, how about someone who has one looking at the box in came in, or the paperwork, and posting his address. People in the Adv forum would probably like it also.
But I thought I saw on that posting that he is selling his house due to a "domestic settlement." Could be a while before he is able to produce these again.

Thanks for the effort, but that posting does not give you his address, email, phone, etc. I assume you mean the 8th posting down from the top. Again, the guy gives out a lot of information, but not any way to contact him. Here's an idea: since a lot of people seem to own these devices, how about someone who has one looking at the box in came in, or the paperwork, and posting his address. People in the Adv forum would probably like it also.
But I thought I saw on that posting that he is selling his house due to a "domestic settlement." Could be a while before he is able to produce these again.

His only outlet is on ADV, standby like everyone else. It's worth the wait
When he is producing product he is very good at communicating and quickly shipping.

The link seems to work fine for me.
It says see the first post, and subscribe to this thread.
If you do that, you will see Sold Out; Expect to have more first of June.
So you must wait.
If I recall correctly he did not want to be contacted a lot, perhaps he is like a mad scientist. Or just takes his time til he goes back to work on them. I suppose that he may have some other life than these things.
I suppose he might want to avoid all the simple questions, the questions answered by the thread, and the no doubt countless contacts he gets offering to sell him things, etc.
There is nothing like this device.
And there probably never will be, tho' the fabulous and famous GS911 does come close. This is not the type of thing you go down to Home Depot and buy with a screwdriver or two.
So many of the Adv guys are total geeks and groks themself, and so this thing must be good just based on the idea that if 8000 of them think it's manna from on high, it may be.
Patience.
dc

The link seems to work fine for me.
It says see the first post, and subscribe to this thread.
If you do that, you will see Sold Out; Expect to have more first of June.
So you must wait.
If I recall correctly he did not want to be contacted a lot, perhaps he is like a mad scientist.
Patience.
dc

So let me see if I follow this. In order to buy this tool I first go to ADV and sign up. Done. Then I go to the thread that talks about it and "subscribe" to it. Done. At this point I have no more actual knowledge of how to purchase this tool than before I began. Now I wait until sometime in June, and at that point Grok will email me, and everyone else who "subscribed" to that thread to let them know he has made a few more of these. Am I right so far? Then we all rush to email him back in a sort of lottery where he picks out some names and they get the tool, I guess mailed from an unknown address. If we aren't one of the lucky few who are picked, we start the process over again. Am I missing any of the critical steps here?

I see now why even after three pages on this thread, repeated requests, and the thread on ADV, no one can actually produce an email or USPS address for this guy. I don't think he has published either one. Kind of odd for someone trying to sell a rather specialized item to a small group of people for a healthy amount of money.

I need patience? Yeah, a good amount of it. But I've rebuilt a run down Airhead so I have plenty of that. I'm sure it is a good tool, but given the amount of trouble it is to get one, I am beginning to question how many of us actually own one. I suspect the majority of owners don't think this is worth it. I know I personally am going to do some serious research on alternatives. Might as well, as it looks like it could be a murky, and long time frame to even get a chance to spend $140 for the Harmonizer.

So let me see if I follow this. In order to buy this tool I first go to ADV and sign up. Done. Then I go to the thread that talks about it and "subscribe" to it. Done. At this point I have no more actual knowledge of how to purchase this tool than before I began. Now I wait until sometime in June, and at that point Grok will email me, and everyone else who "subscribed" to that thread to let them know he has made a few more of these. Am I right so far? Then we all rush to email him back in a sort of lottery where he picks out some names and they get the tool, I guess mailed from an unknown address. If we aren't one of the lucky few who are picked, we start the process over again. Am I missing any of the critical steps here?

I see now why even after three pages on this thread, repeated requests, and the thread on ADV, no one can actually produce an email or USPS address for this guy. I don't think he has published either one. Kind of odd for someone trying to sell a rather specialized item to a small group of people for a healthy amount of money.

I need patience? Yeah, a good amount of it. But I've rebuilt a run down Airhead so I have plenty of that. I'm sure it is a good tool, but given the amount of trouble it is to get one, I am beginning to question how many of us actually own one. I suspect the majority of owners don't think this is worth it. I know I personally am going to do some serious research on alternatives. Might as well, as it looks like it could be a murky, and long time frame to even get a chance to spend $140 for the Harmonizer.

Your call.

I didn't get an email. I just kept checking back on the thread on a regular basis. If I recall correctly, he is located in California (and I didn't record that mailing address :banghead).

I'm sure it is a good tool, but given the amount of trouble it is to get one, I am beginning to question how many of us actually own one. I suspect the majority of owners don't think this is worth it. I know I personally am going to do some serious research on alternatives. Might as well, as it looks like it could be a murky, and long time frame to even get a chance to spend $140 for the Harmonizer.

I own one and it is and was positively worth the wait. I have used a TwinMax, Morgan Carbtune and now the Harmonizer. I have never used anything but the Harmonizer since receiving it. It is superior in every way.
-Easier to attach
-Better quality hose and fittings
- I can ride the bike with it hanging from my windshield and check real time balance
- It has a tachometer function
- It has a lighted display
- It doesn't bounce around all over like the TwinMax and other tools do

That's just off the top of my head. There's more things I like but can't remember them all right now. But I do still have the original box and the return addy is on it. I will PM it to you since I don't know if he wants this info all over the internet.

Write a letter if you want but he will announce the new batch when they are ready either way... PM sent your way.

I didn't get an email. I just kept checking back on the thread on a regular basis. If I recall correctly, he is located in California (and I didn't record that mailing address :banghead).

I'm glad you clarified that. I kinda figured this guy wouldn't be bothering to email people who wanted his product. It is certainly apparent that he is doing this in his garage as a very side line business. I wonder if there is even a warranty of any kind on them? As I said, I can see that a lot of us might possibly think of buying one of these, but I'm betting very few of us actually own them. Instead, just to simplify our lives, we are making due nicely with alternate products that do the same job. Maintaining a BMW can be complicated enough.

Anyone else see the recent Consumer Report article (May 2013, page 58-59) comparing name brand motorcycles for reliability? Very interesting reading.

I have one from the "second batch" IIRC. Absolutely love it.

Yes, he's running a small business, and just getting started but he's made a great product.

As stated before, it is great to be able to stick it on top of your tankbag and go for a ride and get your bike perfectly tuned for highway speeds!

The unit is just a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes.

Ken

I've got a Harmonizer and it's a great product. I did not have a balancing tool previously and was borrowing my neighbor's Motion Pro Syncpro (not that great but got the job done). I'm really happy with the Harmonizer and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't already have a balancer they like.

It's not that hard to buy the Harmonizer, nor do you need an address or phone number.
You simply watch the ADVRider thread, when they become available there will be a PayPal link.
Simply click on the link, pay your money and receive your Harmonizer.

Don't try to over think it.

BTW, I love mine.

Is it possible to go directly to the paypal site without registering with ADV? From time to time I lurk over at ADV, but I'm spread out thin enough already!

BTW; first post... testing...

[QUOTE As stated before, it is great to be able to stick it on top of your tankbag and go for a ride and get your bike perfectly tuned for highway speeds! [/QUOTE]

I'm trying to understand this idea. I'm syncing mine at idle and then running it up to 3000 in my garage. But I have to loosen the locknut on the right side cable adjuster, turn the adjuster, and then re-lock the nut. And it is just a minute amount of adjustment too. Very easy to overshoot it either way. In fact locking the nut usually changes the setting, so you have to kind of fudge that factor in, too. At any rate, then I test, and repeat all that until it is right, or supposedly right. How can all that be done while sitting on the bike, driving down the road at 60 mph? I guess I'm just not following the theory of doing it "on the road".

Maybe the beauty of the Harmonizer is that is somehow is precise enough to compensate for the basically pretty crude mechanism on the bike itself for doing this very critical adjustment that affects completely how the bike performs. Seems like they could have come up with a much better mechanism for this since it is so important. Lets see....Small rack and pinion? Finer thread on the cable holder? Extra lock nut underneath? Larger diameter on the adjuster cup with some marks laid out on them? Was it that tough a problem?

Is it possible to go directly to the paypal site without registering with ADV? From time to time I lurk over at ADV, but I'm spread out thin enough already!

BTW; first post... testing...

Howdy 179411 and welcome here. To get a Harmonizer is very simple as long as you remember this guy is not a store and just doing a fledgeling business. Supply is based on his ability to produce and like all of us, life gets in the way of the best laid plans. Just keep checking back in the first post of this thread. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701625 It currently reads "Temporarily Sold Out - Expected to have more beginning of June" so the beginning of June would be a good time to start checking. :)

Once he has stock a PayPal link will be back in the first post and you simply click on it to buy one. Yes anyone can click on a link, even a lurker. You do need to join up to post like any other forum of course.

On another note, spend a few minutes filling out your profile in the user control panel. Things like what bike you own are very useful if you want to post questions or requests for info and such. You can change your MOA member number to a user name there too if you wish.

Jconway
You got to use two wrenches, no. 10 or 11 I think.
That way the adjustment holds steady while you tighten.
I have used the old tubes, the twinmax and all the other, carbtune, motionpro or whatever, and probably other stuff too. The Harmonizer is unique, and the best.
I think the link is only up when he has units to sell. I just clicked the link, oh, yeah, it was a Saturday. I got the device on Monday. How's that for prompt service. With or without warranty, I will trust that guy with my money.
And the device, well, nothing can nor does compare with it.
I have used mine on about 5 different bikes.
dc

JConway, all I can tell you is how I do it. As you said, I leave the right cable loose, and get up to my cruising speed, and set the resistance on the throttle to maintain speed.
Then adjust the cable until things are perfect, and shut the bike off, coast to the shoulder and cinch down the locknuts. Recheck on the way back.
I've never found it to be anywhere as sensative as what you describe, but maybe that's just my bike.

Ken

Just a note/question here that I thought I would run past everyone. I stopped at a local Ducati/Triumph dealer today and spoke with the head of the service department. Now these are both rather pricey brands to buy/ get serviced there. He tells me that syncing the butterflys on the throttle bodies is strictly for the idle. It has very little, if anything to do with how it runs at speed. His point was that a small degree of tilt when it is closed makes a big difference in the airflow, but when it is opened much the percentage of air that is going through the opening isn't changed much by small differences in the tilt of the disc. I couldn't really argue with his logic on that. Actually it sounded pretty sensible. So if that is the case, besides not having a perfectly smooth idle, what would be the big deal about having both sides perfectly synced when you are past idle? Any thoughts on this theory?

Of course he also made some disparaging remarks about BMWs which I had to listen to. This from a guy working in a dealership of two brands which very nearly went out of business a few years back. Patience.

Back