• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Integral case lock maintenance

Integral Case latch maintenance?

I have a '95 R100RT w/ Integral Cases. My latches have a tendency to not completely slide/pop open to release the cases from my side racks. I have tried WD40, Silicone spray, and bicycle chain lube wax, all with less than satisfactory results. What is the best method and product to keep them lubricated so they actually slide open properly?

Last edited:
I also have the 95 R100RT with the cases and have similar difficulty. After trying all the oils and lubes, my conclusion is that it is the locks that are cheaply made and the cases badly engineered. I find that when I hang the cases on the frames, if the long slot/hook on top of the case is not seated exactly and lined up front to back, the latches won't close no matter what. I also have had a lock literally come apart in my hands when trying to unlock it with the key.

Back