• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Integral case lock maintenance

I have a '95 R100RT w/ Integral Cases. My latches have a tendency to not slide/pop completely open completely when trying to release the case from my side racks. I have tried WD40, Silicone spray, and bicycle chain lube wax, all with less than satisfactory results. What is the best method and product to keep them lubricated so they actually slide open properly?

Last edited:
Pannier locks

I could have written the post above. The locks on my panniers seem okay, but the latches don't release readily. I've lubed them but the results have not be great.... What's up with that?
These are on my K100RS, however, they are off a later bike because they have the locks that can use the same key pattern as the ignition lock.

Last edited:
WD-40 is never a good idea for any lock to begin with. Powdered graphite is what locks need on a regular basis; try some and it should make a difference. Any hardware store will have some in a small squeeze tube.

WD-40 is never a good idea for any lock to begin with. Powdered graphite is what locks need on a regular basis; try some and it should make a difference. Any hardware store will have some in a small squeeze tube.

Editted the Post: The problem is with the latches, not the lock cylinders.

Back