• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New York FInger Lakes

Lawrence_D

Heading to New York this summer to hook up with my brother in Poughkeepsie. He's new to riding and I am new to travel in the NY region. I've always wanted to see the Finger Lakes region. Anyone with riding experience in that paert of NY? Any ofther "must sees" on a 3- 4-day loop from and returning to Poughkeepsie?

Thanks!!

Heading to New York this summer to hook up with my brother in Poughkeepsie. He's new to riding and I am new to travel in the NY region. I've always wanted to see the Finger Lakes region. Anyone with riding experience in that paert of NY? Any ofther "must sees" on a 3- 4-day loop from and returning to Poughkeepsie?

Thanks!!

http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

http://www.bullyhill.com/

There is a great Mexican Restaurant just south of Hammondsport.

jason

Lots of small back roads many dirt that offer great views and scenery.

Wine? Hundreds of wineries and all give tastings, and many tours of the process, just don't over do it, a sip and spit would probably be prudent for a rider. Racing? Watkins Glen has something going on most weekends.

Hiking? The State park in Watkins Glen, great easy, but hour long hike up the Glen, great waterfalls and geology.

Museums? The Curtiss Museum is a great stop for any gear-head, political history, the National Woman's hall of fame in Seneca Falls, Great Glass Museum in Corning, lots of varied Museums in Ithaca and most of the town at the lakes ends. . Shopping? Skaneateles, lots of small shops.

Big Amish and Mennonite presence in the area, great breads, PIES, jams, jelly and roadside stands. Huge dairy area, Lots of Native American history, after all names like Skaneateles, Keuka, Otisco, are not English names.

Hit the NY tourism site, I m sure they will send brochures, the other area is called the Leatherstocking region which is the area to the east of the Finger lakes region, including Cooperstown (like baseball?) and the area between the Catskills and Finger lakes.

+1 on Watkins Glen. Great walk. If available, take the bus to the top and walk down.

Nearby, there is the Corning Glass Museum. It is a treat for your eyes.

+1: Finger Lakes Region

Watkins Glen is fantastic and if you love micro brews at all, try
http://www.roosterfishbrewing.com/
for some REALLY great ales. They also have pretty good food, a nice lunch break there.
Speaking of food, we loved the Brown Hound Bistro
http://www.brownhoundbistro.com/index.html
was probably the nicest restaurant we could find in the lakes region. We had breakfast or brunch there- and we'd love to go back for more.
Ithaca is a great town with lots going on- a nice pedestrian district and decent shops, restaurants, etc. Folks talk about all the wineries there, but IMO the local wines leave lots to be desired- But maybe I'm a "wine snob".... Having said that, I admit I'm not really a wine drinker- tho I enjoy a good glass of wine now and then. MY GF however, IS a total wine person, and she failed to be impressed by the Finger Lakes wines.

All in all, the riding is pretty great, there's a fair amount going on, and the Finger Lakes region is overall very pretty.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! I was already looking forward to the trip, you guys have heightened my anticipation even more!

Thanks,

Lawrence

................. Having said that, I admit I'm not really a wine drinker- tho I enjoy a good glass of wine now and then. MY GF however, IS a total wine person, and she failed to be impressed by the Finger Lakes wines......................

There are some very good wines from the Finger Lakes, mostly whites, there are some good reds, but you have to be willing to look. I have been organizing wine tours for a bunch of friends for the last 7 years, and visited 30+ wineries. Best IMHO is Americana, in Trumensburg a few miles N of Ithaca, they make the best fudge I have ever had too. Castle Grish in Watkins glen also has some good wines. Lots of others too, but only 1 or 2 I really like from each.

Thanks!!

Here is you a Basic Route to cover the Finger Lakes... use it for planning if you like... enjoy and Hope this helps.

Attachments

• FingerLakesTour Basic Tour.gpx
    302.8 KB · Views: 15
Back