• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fontana Weekend

Anyone from VA / northern NC planning on attending the Fontana Lake weekend? Just checking for riding partners. It s about time i meet some of y'all.

We'll be there from Alabama and look forward to seeing you there! We visited the resort last September scouting it out for this event and this is a very nice place located in the middle of a riding area that can only be described as fantastic!

See you there!

Thanks Vance. I am only about 4 hours away so it would be a shame to miss it. A few locals and i are planning on a end to end ride on the BRP over Memorial day weekend so i ve already got one trip in the works for 2013. Hopefully a couple of the Richmond or Raleigh crowd will respond they are going. Just to give me some company.
Do these things book up quickly? I dont want to wait too long. I will most likely be camping since the wife will not be making this trip.
My only potential problem will be when my new grandbaby will be arriving. As long as she doesnt decide to be late i think ill be in.

ha..ha I understand. We hope to see you there. As for booking up, I do expect this to book quickly! Once registration opens, I would get in! If you are planning to camp there should not be a problem in case you have to cancel. There is a cancellation policy for the rooms at the lodge (not an MOA policy). That will be explained by the hotel at the time of booking. I do not think that will apply to campsites.

When does the booking begin or have I missed it? I've read the info on the events page but I don't see any dates to book nor anything stating it's booked up.

When does the booking begin or have I missed it? I've read the info on the events page but I don't see any dates to book nor anything stating it's booked up.

From web page:

Book your Weekend Getaway now, as space is limited and we anticipate this Weekend Getaway will sell out quickly. Book online at http://www.bmwmoa.org or call the MOA office directly at 636-394-7277.

For accommodations information and to make your room reservations, contact the resort directly at 828-498-2211 and be sure to mention our Group Code BMW MOA. More information on the resort can be found at their website, http://www.fontanavillage.com.

Hope this helps!

From web page:

Book your Weekend Getaway now, as space is limited and we anticipate this Weekend Getaway will sell out quickly. Book online at http://www.bmwmoa.org or call the MOA office directly at 636-394-7277.

For accommodations information and to make your room reservations, contact the resort directly at 828-498-2211 and be sure to mention our Group Code BMW MOA. More information on the resort can be found at their website, http://www.fontanavillage.com.

Hope this helps!

I just read again and I see registration doesn't open up until February.

Yep, that is correct. We will have registration open online Feb 1. If you want to register before that, contact Tammy (or anyone) at the office directly and get your name on the list.

Update! Update!

So... you may have heard that there have been a series of landslides in Western NC due to the recent rains there. Yes the Cherohala Skyway was effected and was closed for a short period of time. The good news is the Skyway is back open now and repairs on other slides in the area have been put on a fast track. Other than some minor inconvenience everything should be in good shape by spring and also in time for this weekend getaway.

There are already a good number of rooms booked at he lodge. This is a very popular time of year for the resort and they will sell out. For this reason, our discounted room block will expire on March 12. So.....if you are planning to attend this event (and I know you are) it would be a good idea to book your room reservations now. We do anticipate this event to sell out.

Online registration will begin on Feb 1 or you can call the office now and book it.

I look forward to seeing everyone "at the foot of the dam" for a great time in April!

Fontana weekend

Hi all does anyone know if there are still rooms in the lodge available for the getaway weekend?

Registrations for this event have been strong. There are a few rooms left so you can still get in. Remember our MOA room block will expire on March 12 and remaining roomswill be released. If you are "thinking" about attending this event, you need to register now!

Call the office today and get on the registration list and then remember to book your room directly with the resort. We are planning a great time and we hope you will be there!

Michigan to Fontana Dam

Hi guys - I a new member - looking forward to meet the club riders. Just booked my room and paid the club dues for the event. Looking for fellow riders from the MI area. If interested, let me know.
Cheers
PJ

Lodging Alternative

Registrations for this event have been strong. There are a few rooms left so you can still get in. Remember our MOA room block will expire on March 12 and remaining roomswill be released. If you are "thinking" about attending this event, you need to register now!

Call the office today and get on the registration list and then remember to book your room directly with the resort. We are planning a great time and we hope you will be there!

There are a number of biker-friendly and biker-dedicated hostileries in the Robbinsville area along US129 south of Robbinsville. I've stayed twice at the Tuskeegee Inn (yup-they use all four e's) on the Fontana Road (US 28, "Moonshine Highway"). From Robbinsville, it's across the mountain on Hwy 143 and then north on 28. Mom-and-pop place right out of the 1950s, but clean and friendly. Good coffee in the office/store and seat-wipe rags for the asking, and INEXPENSIVE ! 28 north from there to Deal's Gap can be as much fun as The Tail if you have a radar detector.

If You Don't Get Enough . . .

Y'all will probably ride the Cherohola Skyway from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains, TN (one of the best rides in the area). But you may not be told that Tellico Plains south to Ducktown on US68 is a challenging cross-country run and that The Old Copper Road (US74) from Ducktown west to Cleveland, TN, through the Ocoee River Gorge (recent Olympic white-water kayaking), is downright breathtakingly beautiful and rather technical itelf.

Also at Tellico Plains, if you look north as you come off the Skyway out to Hwy 68, where the road ends, a short block back from 68 on your right is Bank Street. From that intersection you can look up Bank Street across vacant property and see a little restaurant with a red roof. Therein is suprisingly good fish -- the equal of most Gulf Coast seafood restaurants. Not fancy, just delicious.

Another much-overlooked intense pucker ride is Wayah Road: from the foot of US129 where it intersects US78 (be very careful of the east side of the blind intersection!) go east on US78 about three miles, look for an easily-missed small blacktop off to the right with a small street sign saying Wayah Road. This one goes over a mountain range and comes out on US64 just west of Franklin, NC. Beware--this one is flat dangerous. Much of it stays wet.

Finally for first-timers into the area: Whatever you do, do NOT order the sausage patties for breakfdast at Deal's Gap. I've never eaten the sole of a pig farmer's boot, but it has to be better.

This event is now sold out and we look forward to seeing everyone at the beautiful Fontana Village Resort on April 27. Plan to arrive in time on Friday in time to get registered (We should be be set up by 3PM in the Lobby) and meet in the Carolina Room in the main lodge at 6PM. We will have all the event details for you and information on available rides for Saturday, Hors D' Oeuvres and a cash bar close by....ride safe and we'll see you there!

Back