• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

fuel pressure regulator relocation

tomtietjen

slowrider
Just wondering if anyone has relocated their fuel pressure regulator from under the airbox? I have a 2004 1150 GS w/85000 miles and last winter I did quite a bit of riding and it seemed like everytime the bike was started from cold it developed a gas leak from the regulator area. If I shut off the bike, waited a few minutes and started it again it would not leak ( never leaks in warm weather ). I'm suspecting the regulator or the plastic lines are the problem. Just put the bike on the lift table to raise the subframe, remove the airbox and replace the plastic lines with FI hose. Thought it might be a good idea to get the regulator out where you can see it. Any thoughts ?

Guess I don't agree as I have a lot of miles on my 94 RS and its still on the original fuel regulator. No leaks. Being in Wisconsin I have frequently started the bike in sub 30 degree temps with no issues. The regulator and fuel lines from it are all original. Before attempting to relocate it I would inverstigate the leak issue a lot more, find the real cause/source.

+1 on Andy. 95K, never a fuel related/regulator issue here either. have not heard of that as a common failure item either- fix the leak, and close it back up.

I agree about fixing the leak, but you can't see the regulator where it's located and once you expose it ( subframe raised, airbox and throttle bodies removed ) the engine can't be run to test it.

Just wondering if anyone has relocated their fuel pressure regulator from under the airbox? I have a 2004 1150 GS w/85000 miles and last winter I did quite a bit of riding and it seemed like everytime the bike was started from cold it developed a gas leak from the regulator area. If I shut off the bike, waited a few minutes and started it again it would not leak ( never leaks in warm weather ). I'm suspecting the regulator or the plastic lines are the problem. Just put the bike on the lift table to raise the subframe, remove the airbox and replace the plastic lines with FI hose. Thought it might be a good idea to get the regulator out where you can see it. Any thoughts ?

If you search on the advrider Oilhead forum you will find someone who has done just that.

The pressure in the fuel lines is high enough that it's hard to understand how it leaks sometimes and not others. Your leak may not be the regulator. How do you see in there?

Thats the poblem, I can't see in there. If the bike is on the center stand the gas runs down the trans and drips off the swingarm, if on the side stand it runs along the plastic fuel lines. I'll ck out the ADV site for info.
Thanks

Fuel Hose Failure?

Those are the same symptoms I had when my rubber hose fuel lines that connect the plastic lines to the Quick Disconnects delaminated internally, and then the Oetiker clamps got loose...leak when cold, stop after warming.

There was a recall on those rubber fuel hoses for my 2002 R1150R, but I had replaced them before it went in to effect. Be sure to use only fuel-injected rated hose (type SAE J36R9).

I've had a similar problem before. The leak was at the connections between the hard plastic lines and the rubber lines. They would leak when it was cold. Maybe the fuel lines shrink when the temeprature drops. The fix was to replace the clamps and tighten them ... uhhh ... significantly.

Back