• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sidecar turn signals

RCOCKRUM

Sheep Dog
I know there's not a lot of sidecar guys on here, but, I'll bet somebody has an opinion. Do you unhook the bikes right hand turn signals when you have right hand turn signals on the sidecar? Restoring an R90/6 with a Velorex 562.

Yes!! I have followed rigs that had right signals on the bike and the car and it is confusing. My rig is is set up with the bike signals disconnected.

I wrapped the right turn signals with electrical tape for a couple of months, but the sidecar turn signal is mounted forward of the trunk a few inches and was not always visible to vehicles behind me (depending on the angle of view), so I took it off. Figured it was better to get their attention even if there was some confusion on their part.

Pete

Sidecar/Bike turn siginals

I know there's not a lot of sidecar guys on here, but, I'll bet somebody has an opinion. Do you unhook the bikes right hand turn signals when you have right hand turn signals on the sidecar? Restoring an R90/6 with a Velorex 562.

No.I run with the bike right and the sidcar right turn siginals.Front suidecar siuginal is blocked by a toolbox.I run an 83 R100RT & 2005 562.

Jack
Ocala Fl

My Ural came without right side signals on the bike. I agree, having the on the car and the bike would just be confusing. Could easily be mistaken for 4-way flashers.

I also have disconnected the right side signals on the bike. I guess it will depend on the visibility/mounting of the lights on your hack.

Depends on local laws, I origanally disconnected the right side turn signals on the bike, but then it wouldn't pass inspection. For a few years I'd reconnect to pass inspection, then disconnect, but the last couple years I've just left then connected.

Same here. No right turn signals on bike. However, the front right was little tricky. Rear turnsignal is incorporated in taillight on sidecar fender but front turn signal had to be added.

My Sputnick has a top of the fender signal which I energize in place of the right rear light on the bike (F650). Seems less confusing to followers. The right front signal remains functional, as it was easier, and I figure the attention it may get from anyone trying to turn with me, or in front of me, helps a little. Besides, it's easier to just switch the rear lead and leave the front alone. I've not had an inspection issue, but I'm not sure how close they look, as long as something is flashing.

Thinking about using a trailer wiring harness and just removing the right side turn signal bulbs on the bike. The R90/6 signals are not also running lights.

Figure I can tap into the bike lights anywhere.

right turn signal

On my R1100 that I bought used the signal on the bike is disconnected. With the wide EZS car, if it were not, I think it would definitely look like four way flashers. Too many cage drivers are all ready confused just driving their cars. I wouldn't want to add any more to their confusion.

Bike right rear turnsignal

works on my wifes airhead with Velorex sidecar.

The bulb was removed from the turnsignal on her R1150R with EZS sidecar.

Signals andBrake - Visibility

My dirt hack is based on a R100/7, pretty well stipped down with a Heddingham front end, two into one Supertapp, solo seat and the chair build from a California sidecar frame, modified. I left the stock front signals on the bike in place, with no wiring to the right signal, and incorporated the rear left signal in the brake light. Also added Hyperlites for visibility. On the chair, I have a steel fender with turnsignals, running and brakelights for the right side mounted. I agree that not disconnecting the right turn signals on the bike could confuse the issue especially in adverse visibility conditions (at night, foul weather, oncoming traffic).

Attachments

• P1010003a.jpg
    P1010003a.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 45
Back