• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CLC gas drip?

miairhead

I went for a ride, and filled up a few miles from home. When I got home I after a while there was gas dripping from a tube at the bottom of the engine. I am in the process of removing the tank to see where in the 'h' this hose is connect to.

Last night I just plugged the hose, and with the tank loose there is no puddle of gas on the floor. Since is a fuel injected engine, I not sure what the hose would be for?

Any one ever had this happen to your CLC? There was no puddle when the tank was 1/4 full before the ride, but I can not think of what would be the difference.

Like all the other Oilheads there are two vent hoses in the fuel tank. One carries water from the filler neck, the other goes to a check valve at the top of the tank. Sometimes that check valve can leak fuel if the tank is overfilled. Does it happen on the sidestand, center stand or both?

The hoses also get old and can let fuel leak out. See how it is after you use up some fuel.

If it is leaking from the check valve into a properly routed hose, that goes to the charcoal canister. It may be part full of fuel. If it is then next time your ride, after 3-5 minutes when the canister purge valve opens, the intake manifold could draw the raw fuel in and your engine may stall. Exactly that happened to me.

The fixes are not too hard you just need to figure it out.

I not sure what the hose would be for? .

As was stated, fuel injected or not, oil heads have two hoses coming from the tank. Both hoses exit the tank at the metal plate/ring that retains the fuel filter/pump assembly in the tank. One hose is a simple over flow hose and one is a vent to the charcoal canister emissions control that is located along the rear right side (most oil heads) of the bike. If you purchased the bike used there is a good chance the PO removed the canister, many of us do.

These hoses must never be plugged! In order for gas to leave a tank to enter the FI system air must replace it in the tank or a vacuum will occur and your bike will stop running. It has even happed where the vacuum suction becomes so severe that the tank sides are sucked in and the tank is damaged.

A couple things may be going on. It was just excess fuel from over filling the tank. Your canister has been removed so when the bike gets warm and the tank is full some fuel can be vented to the ground. The charcoal canister is plugged. A fuel line or fitting is old and cracked and leaking fuel and it runs down the line to the ground.

The fixes are all fairly simple. Your plan of checking on the lines as a first step is a good start.

Tank is off

The charcoal canister is there, and looks like it installed correctly. I removed some fuel last night and it did not drip, so I guess it has something to do with being too full. Since the 2 times his happened I filled up at a station only 2 miles from home.

I see if the charcoal canister is full of gas later today.

One think has made me very unhappy, I found that after paying $5K to a deal to a drop by a shipper I found that the battery is a WestCo (I asked for them not to install a that brand), and a 3/4" piece of plywood under retaining strap to keep a too short battery for bouncing. Sure it works, but after $5K the correct size could of been installed.

Back