• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

$295 for brake fluid flush and FD change? for 08 RT

cookie

Jeff
My 08 RT is due for the brake fluid change and final drive fluid with spline lube.
Ozzies in Chico, CA is quoting just under $300. Does this sound about right?
The other question, I have 24,000 miles on her and the fd oil was changed at 600 and 12,000. The brake fluid was changed at 12,000 when they did the recall. Is this a real world overkill or do you think these are reasonable service recommendations?
Thanks

If you were under warranty I'd say do it.. just so BMW can't disclaim on the warranty saying maintenance wasn't performed promptly..

If the brake fluid was done for the recall - that was for the front brake only IIRC, so your rear brake wasn't touched. If it's never been done it is WAY overdue. BMW calls for a fluid flush every 24 months from the day the bike was manufactured. We have DIY's for the R1200R which is close enough to your bike that a decent home mechanic will have no problem DIY.

The rear drive fluid change interval is now 12,000 miles. It used to be forever. I think personally BMW pulled 12,000 miles out of their asses.. but my suggestion to you. Do it yourself this time (we have a DIY I think.. if not Jim VonB's DVD will show you how) and take note of the oil condition.

If it comes out clear (and probably red in color) chances are good it will be just fine with 24,000 mile changes. That's where mine is - the first change wasn't done until around 42,000 miles (it was changed at 600 mile service) when BMW changed the "lifetime" to 12,000 miles. The oil drained out looked perfect. No sign of contamination, thinning or water. Next change was 12,000 miles later, and again - oil looked perfect. At that point I moved it to the 24,000 mile service interval.

If you have any reluctance to DIY (some people shouldn't own a screwdriver.. trick is getting them to realize this..) then have it done, even at an independent shop where they might let you look over their shoulders while they do it. At least that way you'll know the fluids are up to date.

+1 - right on target.

Re your question on cost- its a bit more than I'd get charged in NC- its urban shop rates + a bit. A friend of mine who used to be a BMW dealership mechanic and runs a small shop in his garages as a second job would do these all day long for $75 total, I'm certain, Dealerships here would probably be $150-200 to cover their overheads.

I don't know what the official time allowance is for the two items but you can ask the service manager for that.
The 08 fluid change (no whizzie brakes) is like any normal cage. Simple and fast. No more than an hour total.
The 08 FD- bult in drain plug so FD doesn't have to be dropped-except for rear spline lube- is generously 20 minutes without spline lube, maybe 40 with. The hexhead RT is apparently easier on splines than its predecessors, fortuneately.

I do my own and you can do yours if you're even modestly competent with tools and sometimes do stuff on your cages- its easy work. Do keep records in case you ever need warranty support- I do my own service and in the 1 case I needed a warranty part had no trouble- and didn't even make the claim where I purchased the bike so the service guys there (Bob's, MD) didn't know me.

My 08 RT is due for the brake fluid change and final drive fluid with spline lube.
Ozzies in Chico, CA is quoting just under $300. Does this sound about right?
The other question, I have 24,000 miles on her and the fd oil was changed at 600 and 12,000. The brake fluid was changed at 12,000 when they did the recall. Is this a real world overkill or do you think these are reasonable service recommendations?
Thanks

Unfortunately, when I sit down for coffee or breakfast with other BMW owners, they are all in agreement about one thing:

The high maintenance costs for BMW motorcycles are as legendary as the machines themselves.

BMW = Bring My Wallet :banghead

Why would the warranty not remain in effect if the owner did the fluid changes at home or a good independent? It gets done with cars/trucks all the time & quite legally for many years & keeps the warranty in effect via documentation. Or, is BMW really that difficult to cause the OP to raise the question?

Why would the warranty not remain in effect if the owner did the fluid changes at home or a good independent? It gets done with cars/trucks all the time & quite legally for many years & keeps the warranty in effect via documentation. Or, is BMW really that difficult to cause the OP to raise the question?

BMW and some of its dealers take pleasure in intimidating customers. If there's any question, they have to decide if you are worthy enough.
Fortunately a lot of these dealers are disappearing.

Depends on model BMW!

My GSA1200 has simple, no servo or assist braking system and the cost is quite LOW to do this same job. Under a 100$. My 40th year on BMWs and they have never questioned my self service of my bike at any time, when warranty items come forth:). They just do the warranty, no questions. :thumb

Unfortunately, when I sit down for coffee or breakfast with other BMW owners, they are all in agreement about one thing:

The high maintenance costs for BMW motorcycles are as legendary as the machines themselves.

BMW = Bring My Wallet :banghead

Maintenance costs for Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, and BMW cars are the same. BMW motorcycles are in EXACTLY the same category. There is ZERO reason this should be surprising. The days of Airheads and mom/pop dealerships are O V E R. But, it is quaint and cute to read these sorts of posts in forums.

Friend paid $100 plus oil and filters for oil change on a Harley and it IS very easy. He also had a rear tire put on at over 350. The belt change requires swing arm removal I guess, so it ain't cheap either. Motorcycle service is just high. all brands

Rod

Maintenance costs for Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, and BMW cars are the same. BMW motorcycles are in EXACTLY the same category. There is ZERO reason this should be surprising. The days of Airheads and mom/pop dealerships are O V E R. But, it is quaint and cute to read these sorts of posts in forums.

Kent, you are so right! My all time fave were the posts bragging about re-using crush washers.

As always Kent, I'm never quite sure if you're agreeing or dissing my viewpoints. But no matter - I enjoy your cryptic commentary - keep posting.

I agree that (like the brands of auto's you referenced), if you lump BMW in with, say, Ducati's, Moto-Guzi's and Aprilia's, you would probably see a level playing field in terms of maintenance costs per mile.

However, I have owned many Honda's and Suzuki's over the years, and their maintenance costs per mile are a fraction of what routine maintenance costs for a BMW (i.e. GL1800 - oil changes @ 8k / valve adjustments at 32k).

Not all of us are "do-it-yourself" 'ers, nor should one have to be if that's not their thing.

It's an expensive bike to maintain - period. You can stand on a street corner all day and shout that it isn't, but you're "spitting into the wind." :dance

Cookie Quoted: Ozzies in Chico, CA is quoting just under $300. Does this sound about right?
The other question, I have 24,000 miles on her and the fd oil was changed at 600 and 12,000. The brake fluid was changed at 12,000 when they did the recall.

itchris Quoted: Maintenance costs for Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, and BMW cars are the same. BMW motorcycles are in EXACTLY the same category.

greenwald Quoted: The high maintenance costs for BMW motorcycles are as legendary as the machines themselves.

racer7 Quoted: I do my own and you can do yours if you're even modestly competent with tools and sometimes do stuff on your cages- its easy work. Do keep records in case you ever need warranty support- I do my own service and in the 1 case I needed a warranty part had no trouble- and didn't even make the claim where I purchased the bike so the service guys there (Bob's, MD) didn't know me.

deilenberger Quoted: If you have any reluctance to DIY (some people shouldn't own a screwdriver.. trick is getting them to realize this..) then have it done, even at an independent shop where they might let you look over their shoulders while they do it. At least that way you'll know the fluids are up to date.

Good morning,

Interesting comments coming forth with regards to a simple question with regards to cost of fluid changing.

First off, fluids and oils must be changed especially if you live in a part of the world that thermal cycling occurs, meaning your outside temperatures experience the four seasons as it does in the Northern hemisphere in Calgary.

Oil and fluids are not cheap but in comparison to not changing your fluids, your playing with disaster some time down the road.

I see so many people who think they know what they are doing and refuse to understand that all new vehicles such as our BMW's are best left to people who are knowledgable with these machines. I will do the simple maintenance things, because I have the tools, lift platform and a heated workshop. Don's last statement is so true about people and screw driver's.

Here is my take. If you find a service technician as they are now called at your BMW dealer who is good, very good - stick with him. Get the required fluid change done and other maintenance issues completed. Know your limitations, and yes I have them, but it took a number of years to really come to grips with that! I have known a number of these characters over the years and some were good and some bad. All new vehicles today are designed to last a long time IF proper maintenance is done, but sadly that has not always been the case. High end motorcycles are not cheap nor should is it's maintenance.

Cookie, go get the fluids changed by your dealer, because if anything happens the responsibility rest on the dealer and your item where the sun don't shine is covered.

Just my thoughts......

Seasons Greetings to you all.

If you were under warranty I'd say do it.. just so BMW can't disclaim on the warranty saying maintenance wasn't performed promptly..

If the brake fluid was done for the recall - that was for the front brake only IIRC, so your rear brake wasn't touched. If it's never been done it is WAY overdue. BMW calls for a fluid flush every 24 months from the day the bike was manufactured. We have DIY's for the R1200R which is close enough to your bike that a decent home mechanic will have no problem DIY.

The rear drive fluid change interval is now 12,000 miles. It used to be forever. I think personally BMW pulled 12,000 miles out of their asses.. but my suggestion to you. Do it yourself this time (we have a DIY I think.. if not Jim VonB's DVD will show you how) and take note of the oil condition.

If it comes out clear (and probably red in color) chances are good it will be just fine with 24,000 mile changes. That's where mine is - the first change wasn't done until around 42,000 miles (it was changed at 600 mile service) when BMW changed the "lifetime" to 12,000 miles. The oil drained out looked perfect. No sign of contamination, thinning or water. Next change was 12,000 miles later, and again - oil looked perfect. At that point I moved it to the 24,000 mile service interval.

If you have any reluctance to DIY (some people shouldn't own a screwdriver.. trick is getting them to realize this..) then have it done, even at an independent shop where they might let you look over their shoulders while they do it. At least that way you'll know the fluids are up to date.

Sorry Don,
I failed to mention I had the rear flushed when they did the recall. So that means the system is due if the 2 year rule applies. I always thought the brake flush required special tools. I have always done all my own maintenance includint the trans fluid and the fd fluid. The spline lube was a bit tricky getting it back to gether, I had to walk away and when I came back it just slipped right in. I know you mentioned it is critical to get the boot installed properly or else.....
I think I will take advantage of our tech. section and see if I am willing to do the brake flush. Why not, money is rather tight these days.
Thanks guys!

Don was Right

Good job Don on the Brake Flush instructions.
You mentioned the Ford Motor Co. Brake Fluid. I work for a Ford dealer and looked at a bottle of our dot 4 fluid.
The part number is :pM1C and comes in a 12 oz. container for $4.78. That seems reasonable enpogh.
The dry boiling point is 500 f and 260 c.
The wet is 284 f. and 140 c.
Now don't ask me what wet and dry brake fluid is??

I'm out to make a the point that for my style of BMW riding & maintenance it's pretty cheap,knock on wood(so far I've never had to buy a really major part or assy. & I fully agree not everybody should even want to do their own maintenance but as I just reeled in some materials to get my bike ready for a long trip to MX & GT I bought: Mobil 1 tranny juice-$10.99qt,dino FD oil~$5-6 qt, Rotella T6 full syn oil-$21.96 gal, pair of Autolite plugs-$4-5, pt of dot 4~$3,pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2's-$273mtd,Bicimaps/Mexico-$75,5 dozen street "Tacos"-priceless,cheap Mexican hotels~ $20-35x30+nights,many gals of Pemex~?, as many coconut ice cream cones as I can lay my hands on~ $5.

My 06 RT has always had the services done right here at home, by me. I've got the whizzy brakes and flushing the four systems is a chore that I'm about to tackle again and I actually look forward to it. Takes 3 plus pints of dot 4 brake fluid and the only hard part is messing with tank removal. After that it's a piece of cake. I'm scrupulous about maintenance on all my stuff and have a spreadsheet where I record all service activities. I buy filters in bulk with crush washers. I've seen stealership work and was not impressed with the scrupulous adherence to tech specs. I'm much more "involved" in keeping all systems at 100%.

Ozzies in Chico, CA is quoting just under $300. Does this sound about right? ....

Changing the brake fluid and final drive oil should cost maybe $100 or so? Exactly which splines are they lubing for approx $200?

Changing the brake fluid and final drive oil should cost maybe $100 or so? Exactly which splines are they lubing for approx $200?

the final drive when you pivot it down the drive shaft has a slip yoke that needs to be greased with space age molydenubgyhensm grease silly.

Back