• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I see a F650CR

ANDYVH

Maybe its just me, but I have always seen a modern cafe racer in the older F650CS.

This is just a crude Microsoft Paint adaptation. But create a rear fender, get rid of the rails on the "tank", build a proper cafe seat with a "bum stop", some lower handlebars with bar end mirrors, maybe a right design of a cafe "bubble" windshield, and the kinda funky F650CS becomes a more cool F650CR.

Maybe hide the muffler under the rear seat area, with a single outlet centered under the taillight. Or an under engine muffler with a slight chin spoiler. Plus a freer breathing exhaust to give a proper cafe racer bark and this could be a unique cool ride. But, it's gotta be red or black.

Attachments

• F650CR.jpeg
    F650CR.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 180
Oh for sure, that color is totally off for a proper cafe concept. But it was the best full side shot with a neutral background I had found to work from. I don't have Photoshop so this was manually tweaked with Paint.

But, a F650CR in shiny blackor red, with a muffler under the engine and a proper, shiny header pipe following down the front of the frame to "fill in" that big gap to the front tire would add visual mass (like the old Beezers). Some chromed chassis parts to add some of that retro shine to it. The under engine muffler would tend to "lower" the bike and give it more central mass. Get rid of the passenger pegs, brackets, etc. Without the muffler on the left, that cool wheel exposed would be better presented. Maybe a different, simpler shaped front fender. Maybe reshape the windshield to a bigger bubble shape, and revamp the front headlight bezel to form a bit more fairing. I actually like the headlight setup though. Front tire needs a bit more mass too, so maybe just a different aspect ratio to gain a slightly taller sidewall.

Because the F650CR is not real common, or popular outside the BMW community, if I ever see one I may be tempted to grab it. The engine is great, and with some tweaks (freer breathing in and out), tweak the fuel injection, I bet it would be a fun bike.

Oh for sure, that color is totally off for a proper cafe concept. But it was the best full side shot with a neutral background I had found to work from. I don't have Photoshop so this was manually tweaked with Paint.

But, a F650CR in shiny blackor red, with a muffler under the engine and a proper, shiny header pipe following down the front of the frame to "fill in" that big gap to the front tire would add visual mass (like the old Beezers). Some chromed chassis parts to add some of that retro shine to it. The under engine muffler would tend to "lower" the bike and give it more central mass. Get rid of the passenger pegs, brackets, etc. Without the muffler on the left, that cool wheel exposed would be better presented. Maybe a different, simpler shaped front fender. Maybe reshape the windshield to a bigger bubble shape, and revamp the front headlight bezel to form a bit more fairing. I actually like the headlight setup though. Front tire needs a bit more mass too, so maybe just a different aspect ratio to gain a slightly taller sidewall.

Because the F650CR is not real common, or popular outside the BMW community, if I ever see one I may be tempted to grab it. The engine is great, and with some tweaks (freer breathing in and out), tweak the fuel injection, I bet it would be a fun bike.

There is one near you on the new FLEA market. My wife rides one and I have ridden it and it really handles well with Pilot road II tires. I bought the top cover for the basket so it looks like a gas tank instead of a shopping cart.:thumb

Air Intake

Interesting on the cafe racer concept. We currently have a dead CS, bearings in the final drive shaft from the xmission shattered, parked for now.
While working around the CS researching the problem, the position of the air intake always got my attention.

I don't know if this is "acceptable" for a cafe racer, but I always looked at the intake and think about modifying the "tank" with a left side NACA style of air intake integrated for a sort of "ram-air" application. Never mind the air interruption through the air box :(

Plans are to repair it later this year, not going to scrap it for parts, which seems to be the advice I get from everyone. There aren't too many of these models floating around, and the one's that have quit...get scrapped....that's too bad.

Yeh, Red would be nice :)

laters,
Bryan in Bryan, Texas

Back