• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

need opinions

Riding Gear

Everyone likes the jacket they are wearing or gets another.

I would add that getting high visibility gear is a jump forward in safety.

I bought my first Aerostich 2-piece Roadcrafter back in 1992. It was replaced in 2005 with the same.

Back then, the Aerostich Roadcrafter was the answer to a lack of choice in motorcycle gear.

Fortunately, motorcycle gear has come a very long way since then and the Aerostich is very long in the tooth design-wise. Its a good product, but there are far better now. Would I buy another if I could go back in time to 2005? Nope!

There are high quality brands such as Stadler and Halvaarsons to name a couple.

It all depends how serious you are about quality, safety and comfort. Good gear costs, but it performs and lasts.

ralwhite said:
I'm in the market for a good quality riding jacket and matching pants. I don't ride in the winter so I'm looking for a jacket that will provide decent protection and is waterproof and versatile so I can use it in the summer and temps down to 40's or so . Any suggestions?
+2 on the Klim line.

I have tried the Aerostitch and although it is good quality it does not hold a candle to the Klim gear. I think the Latitude line would be what you are looking for. Good for cooler temps, vented nicely and comfortable up to about 85 degrees and 100% waterproof. It can be worn by itself. Aerostitch Darien is built and marketed as an over jacket that you would wear a liner under.

If you want waterproof go for something that is gortex in the outer shell (like Klim or Aerostitch Darien) and not through a waterproof liner.

Another thing all of this stuff is not cheap but you get what you pay for. I used my Klim Latitude gear for an Alaska trip this summer. Temps down to freezing and jungle level rains I was warm and dry. All I needed to add was a hoody or a heated gerbing jacket on the coldest days.

Buy decent stuff the first time and you will save hundreds of dollars in the long run.

finally got it

After mulling things over I finally picked up a BMW Mottorrad Comfort Shell jacket today. It's awesome. I think I'll be very happy with it as it's waterproof and is designed for the Spring through Fall seasons. The Comfort Shell jacket is no longer being produced and was replaced by the Tour Shell jacket which for me seemed too heavy. I ended up getting a great deal on it too since it's discontinued. I couldn't find a dealer that stocked Klim Latitude jackets so I didn't get to see one in person. They offered to order one in for me to try but I didn't want to feel obligated. Thanks again to all for your replies.

Tourmaster Transitions 3

Very happy with my Tourmaster Transitions jacket. I use it in the winter here in Cali, not too cold mind you, and it keeps me warm down to about 45 degrees. Spring/summer the liner comes out and it works great then as well. Also very affordable, got mine at Cycle gear. Good luck,

For summer wear I wouldn't consider a "coat," i.e. anything that's going to touch my thighs when I'm seated. Instead I like a short jacket that zips to my pants.

Yes, I understand this is maybe more the sportbike look than the GS look, but I'm not into self-punishment in the name of style.

And, I wouldn't look for "waterproof" either, instead just own a rainsuit that fits over. Too hot with permanent rain protection IMHO.

Motoport mesh, etc....

opinioins.......you'll never get them on this forum....:D

Highly recommend the Motoport jackets & pants...check 'em out!!!! California company.

I am considering buying Klim.

Having tried BMWs waterproof liner system (without fairing protection), I'm quite certain that an exterior Gortex product would be better for me.

May I ask why you selected the Latitude in lieu of the BP? Was it simply cost or were there other considerations?

QUOTE=garthw;845145]+2 on the Klim line.

I have tried the Aerostitch and although it is good quality it does not hold a candle to the Klim gear. I think the Latitude line would be what you are looking for. Good for cooler temps, vented nicely and comfortable up to about 85 degrees and 100% waterproof. It can be worn by itself. Aerostitch Darien is built and marketed as an over jacket that you would wear a liner under.

If you want waterproof go for something that is gortex in the outer shell (like Klim or Aerostitch Darien) and not through a waterproof liner.

Another thing all of this stuff is not cheap but you get what you pay for. I used my Klim Latitude gear for an Alaska trip this summer. Temps down to freezing and jungle level rains I was warm and dry. All I needed to add was a hoody or a heated gerbing jacket on the coldest days.

Buy decent stuff the first time and you will save hundreds of dollars in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Back