• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Arkansas to Alaska

dposey

Live in Arkansas - ride a 2011 rt 1200. Interested in making the trek to Alaska. Any thoughts on taking a RT to Alaska? Wonder if I'd be better off flying up and renting a GS there?

It's been done before, and you can also include roadglides, goldwings, ST's, ect.

Ken

I rode my 2010 RT in 2010 from Wisconsin to Tok, AK, then down to Anchorage, Homer and finally back home (via the 2010 MOA Rally). Shouldn't be a problem. Just take it easy on the last 100 miles of the Yukon from Burwash to Beaver Creek, if you're taking the Alcan. Lots of frost heaves and pot holes.

RT to North Shore!

READ the story of RT guy riding the HAUL ROAD a few years back in the BMW'ON Mag. Great story if you can find it:), maybe the 'ON archives? NOW thats an RT to Alaska story not to be missed.....RTs can do about anything, it appeared. Randy:thumb

I am in North Texas and would intersted in traveling with a couple of folks.....dropped him a pm on his plans.....I am game. My ride is a 2011 RT

I'm in Central Illinois and am headed to Alaska in Late June, early July. Am timing my trip so I can hit the National Rally in Salem, OR when I come back down into the lower 48.

I would be interested so if you guys are serious PM me and we can start planning.

QUOTE=LngRdr;842754]That sounds like a great plan[/QUOTE]

Went Through AR

On my '84 R100rt after the rally. Then down to Key West, and bounced all over.
Then I rode back home where I started, Fairbanks.

If you can't do it with a 1200rt, it wouldn't be because of the bike. AK is a big place, lots of it is paved. Where do you think you want to go?

You don't need ultra light camping gear for bike travel, just bring what you really need, not a bunch of..

D2D is a hoot, if the top of the world Hwy is dry and you can deal with dirt no problem. It can turn into a quagmire when its real wet, then everyone has problems, so camp and wait on the weather or go another route.

Check out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788417 and read Jacks other stuff. Get a copy of the "Milepost", and read about every access route, the Alcan, and about every road in AK. When you have real questions, PM.

Last summer, I rode my '83 RT from Fairbanks to CA and back. Here is my ride report on my blog. No problems, no issues though I did need a new rear tire in OR. Don't overpack as you can always pick up what you need along the way or send back what you don't need. I've also taken my RT up to the Arctic Circle, no problems at all. BTW, this was all before I added the sidecar.

Back