• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Adventure in OR after the 2013 Rally?

ericpincus

All,

I was looking for a way to get in some good riding after the MOA Rally. I have been in communication with the owners of High Desert Adventures in Prineville, OR (http://highdesertadventures.net/) to see about them running a tour on the heels of the Rally. If you check out their ride reports on ADVRider you can see that they put together fun events. I told them that I would try and gauge interest in the idea of putting together a tour geared to those visiting OR for the MOA Rally in Salem.

Also, for those interested, I would like to see preference for doing a more hard-core tour (which would favor renting smaller dual-sports) or a tour that is big-bike friendly. My preference is a small bike tour, but I am willing to go along with the majority on this.

So, whoÔÇÖs interested and what type of tour is your preference?:ear

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with High Desert Adventures; I am just looking to see if we could put a fun post-rally event together. :)

I led some of'em:)

During the Redmond Rally, I did indeed guide some of the GS/GSA rides offroad into high desert terrain. Its NOT for the less than hardy folks, but a ton of fun, as the going is really fine one minute and the next turn is volcanic pumice and deep. Very challenging riding the back country, Eastern Oregon. Many hardpack/rocky trails exist too in the Cascades, with everything a GS/GSA rider lives for. The BIG bikes seem to/always have loved the more hardpack and rocks, vs the deep softy stuff. IF YOU cannot do "speed" in the soft, don't go there. I teach it and know very well the GSA can do it, having raced desert in my youth and ridden my GSA in recent years in Eastern Oregon adventures. Speed is the GSA riders best friend, once in the desert offroad:). Just learning how! I WILL be in Salem, Oregon come July, with some(many) of the finest riders on the planet for adventure. FIND us:). Randy"Polarbear"Owens, GSGiant and Redmond GS Chairperson a few years ago:). Stay in touch, more to come:thumb

During the Redmond Rally, I did indeed guide some of the GS/GSA rides offroad into high desert terrain. Its NOT for the less than hardy folks, but a ton of fun, as the going is really fine one minute and the next turn is volcanic pumice and deep. Very challenging riding the back country, Eastern Oregon. Many hardpack/rocky trails exist too in the Cascades, with everything a GS/GSA rider lives for. The BIG bikes seem to/always have loved the more hardpack and rocks, vs the deep softy stuff. IF YOU cannot do "speed" in the soft, don't go there. I teach it and know very well the GSA can do it, having raced desert in my youth and ridden my GSA in recent years in Eastern Oregon adventures. Speed is the GSA riders best friend, once in the desert offroad:). Just learning how! I WILL be in Salem, Oregon come July, with some(many) of the finest riders on the planet for adventure. FIND us:). Randy"Polarbear"Owens, GSGiant and Redmond GS Chairperson a few years ago:). Stay in touch, more to come:thumb

Polarbear,
Thank you for the response. I would like to try and firm up something with HDA in the early Spring so they can plan appropriately. Please let me know if you know of folks who would be interested in something like this.

Happycamper

Indeed:)

Find the GSGIANTS org., via the MOA and you'll find dozens of offroad adventure folks willing to listen:). I may be on the hook to lead a group ride from CA to Ore., via the wilderness enroute to Salem and its not a given as yet. More will become obvious as the Spring/Summer approach. Keep on talking it up, don' t lose interest! Coach Ramey Stroud lives in the Salem area region, so he IS VERY LIKELY a candidate for some special treats as well, regarding adventure and if you see/hear his name pop up, LISTEN well:). I'm looking forward to meeting up this coming season:). Randy:thumb

GS Midget

That's what I'd have to call myself, but might be interested in some "midget" riding after the rally. Grew up in John Day, may head that way . . .

I'm a little to ancient and creaky for the hero stuff, but I do like those forest roads . . . :ear

Ride pre post Rally

Greg is a nice guy and we work with him closely. We just purchased another DRZ to help support him on his tours .
If you want a good time and some great high desert riding he is the man.

Billy

Back